Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
B&J
Mouseketeer

Build a Bear at Downtown Disney

Does anyone know why WDW DTD does not have a Build a Bear. I know they have Build a Dino (but there are no Disney characters or clothes/accessories). Disneyland DTD has a Build a Bear and they have tons of Disney stuffed animals, clothes, etc.

I went to Build a Bear in the Florida Mall and fortunately, they had quite a few Disney items and the Minnie Mouse Bowtique Bear (pink with white polka dots). I bought the Minnie Mouse bear and quite a few other Disney items.

I just think it's odd that WDW does not have a Build a Bear but Disneyland has one.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
andyman8
DIS Veteran

As you said, the DTD in California does have one, and I've heard rumors that one could be coming to DTD WDW in as early as 2014, but that's just a rumor right now.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
matheke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J View Post
Does anyone know why WDW DTD does not have a Build a Bear. I know they have Build a Dino (but there are no Disney characters or clothes/accessories). Disneyland DTD has a Build a Bear and they have tons of Disney stuffed animals, clothes, etc.

I went to Build a Bear in the Florida Mall and fortunately, they had quite a few Disney items and the Minnie Mouse Bowtique Bear (pink with white polka dots). I bought the Minnie Mouse bear and quite a few other Disney items.

I just think it's odd that WDW does not have a Build a Bear but Disneyland has one.
There are several things DTD at WDW has that DTD at Disneyland doesn't and the other way around. I don't know why that is suprising considering they are 3,000 miles apart.

Maybe the folks at Build a Bear don't think is worth the high cost of rent or a hundred other business reasons. Or maybe Disney doesn't want them there for various reasons.
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Orlando's Build a Bear is located at another mall. For whatever reason they chose to rent there instead of Downtown Disney. There is the Build a Dino at T-Rex.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
mickeyonasticky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Orlando's Build a Bear is located at another mall. For whatever reason they chose to rent there instead of Downtown Disney. There is the Build a Dino at T-Rex.
There are cities with more than one Build A Bear. For example, there are 5 in St. Louis, 2 in Portland, 3 in Pittsburgh, 2 in New York City, etc.

The Disney outfits aren't just limited to the Build A Bear stores in Orlando and Anaheim. I was at the Build A Bear in Omaha early this morning, and they have a full selection of Disney outfits. It's just part of their merchandise line.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I think Disney is trying to push the Duffy merchandise at the moment. i wonder if that has anything to do with it

My daughter has an expensive hobby of collecting Build A Bears and all their accessories and outfits .....! Yet she is quite happy with the novelty of Build a Dino and Duffy accessories at Disney.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
mickeyonasticky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I think Disney is trying to push the Duffy merchandise at the moment. i wonder if that has anything to do with it

My daughter has an expensive hobby of collecting Build A Bears and all their accessories and outfits .....! Yet she is quite happy with the novelty of Build a Dino and Duffy accessories at Disney.
Then why would there be a Build A Bear at Disneyland's Downtown Disney?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

It is a shame though because Duffy doesn't appeal to the older children but my children do enjoy Build a Bear. They would especially appreciate a Disney themed version where they could make a favorite character

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Why does Disney World NEED a Build-a-Bear?? Our local BAB has a lot of Disney clothing. Are all of the animals at the DL location unique?

Last edited by bytheblood; 11-23-2012 at 07:27 PM.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Why does Disney World NEED a Build-a-Bear?? Our local BAB has a lot of Disney clothing. Are all of the animals at the DL location unique?
Why does any mall need at Build a Bear?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Why does any mall need at Build a Bear?
Exactly. They've been around 7(?) years too many.

*Okay, six. Couldn't resist making a white cat and curly bear.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. There are a couple of other stores at DTD Anaheim that I'd like to see at DTD Orlando. Who knows? I would love to see BAB at DTD, they do have some clothing items that are unique to DTD. At the Anaheim store, my daughter bought a tee-shirt there for her BAB that said Downtown Disney on it. You can't find it at the stores in the malls. That said, I don't think the unique things that they do have are all that worth having.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

There was a Build a Bear in DTD. I vaguely remembered it from a previous trip, so I knew it had to be 2002 or 2004. I did a search and came upon an old thread that said it opened around 2001. Not sure when it closed.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
mickeyonasticky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechick View Post
There was a Build a Bear in DTD. I vaguely remembered it from a previous trip, so I knew it had to be 2002 or 2004. I did a search and came upon an old thread that said it opened around 2001. Not sure when it closed.
There's the Build A Dino in T-Rex that's owned by the Build A Bear company...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
SFRN97
Mouseketeer

We are going to WDW in Feb and I was looking to see if DTD had a BAB. We were hoping to have a bear made there that had Walt Disney World embroider on his foot like the ones we made at the BaB in Disneyland this year. Would have been nice oh well.
Sept 2008 DS first trip POP & our first MNSHP
Nov 2010 DD first trip CBR & Our first MVMCP
April 2013 first trip to Disneyland at the Paradise Pier
Feb 2014 first Disney Cruise on the Wonder with Grandma and Grandpa
April 2015 Disney Cruise on the Dream, WDW at Port Orleans French Quarter & first trip to Universal for Harry Potter
SFRN97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: