Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
I don't care if each doll is hand-painted by Picasso and each room designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.....IASW is still brutal. I'd rather stand in a line that goes nowhere than actually board the boat.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #32
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladiator View Post
*slow clap*
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #33
eastcarolinafan
When I put on my Mickey ears I can hear Small World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
So I sent him this text

It's a world of laughter a world of fun

It's a world of bugging my uncle Keith

There's so much to be shared that its time your aware

we can sing this all day long

Lol i think he wants to shoot me now lol
You know, if you really want to get on his nerves, post his cell number and he'll be bombarded with IASW texts.

As for me, I love that ride. I like having that song in my head.

2008, Carribbean Beach Resort (my first trip to WDW!; 2009, Port Orleans Riverside; 2012, Coranado Springs; and in 2014, Sophie's Polynesian extavaganza
eastcarolinafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcarolinafan View Post
You know, if you really want to get on his nerves, post his cell number and he'll be bombarded with IASW texts.

As for me, I love that ride. I like having that song in my head.
There's a thought but he really would shoot me
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

We went on IASW during magic hours in October. I believe they were until 1am and we got on at 12:55am as it is my daughter's favorite ride and we hadn't rode it yet. (Please note both her and her brother fell asleep on it.) Anyway, the rise got struck and backed up in the white room. There was no one else on the ride. Tons of empty boats behind and in front of us. We were stuck about 10 minutes I think. I started panicking that they forgot we had gotten and were going to shut down the ride. I was starting to have horrible visions of being stuck in the room listening to it all night or perhaps even worse, them turning everything else off and us getting stuck there in the dark with all those little dolls! (I have a VERY active imagination and can't even watch previews for Child's Play!) luckily it started back up, but I sure started to panic! The next time we were on it (as I said is is dd favorite ride...and she's 4 so the we already rode it excuse wasn't gonna work and this was a 10 day trip) my blood pressure definitely went up when we were in the white room!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
I love this ride, probably even more than my wife does! I would have absolutely no problems doing a full 8 hour shift here if I were a cast member!

But I'm a purist, and I don't like the holiday version at Disneyland. I've only been on the WDW version twice; first time disliked it, second time it was better. At least they haven't messed with it as far as I know...

When my stepmom was first getting to know us, I was something like 7, and someone gave me the vinyl album with the music of iasw on it. I would listen to it over and over and over again, in a row. For as long as people could stand it. She told me later, at some point in my 30s, that I was lucky I survived those days, LOL. What can I say? I love that song!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
When my stepmom was first getting to know us, I was something like 7, and someone gave me the vinyl album with the music of iasw on it. I would listen to it over and over and over again, in a row. For as long as people could stand it. She told me later, at some point in my 30s, that I was lucky I survived those days, LOL. What can I say? I love that song!
Within the last 10 years, they actually put the tracks from that original soundtrack INTO the MK version of the attraction.

I have amazing family memories of seeing IASW in Disneyland right after it was brought back from the '64 NYC World's Fair.

We all LOVED it!

Back then it had MANY different recordings of the song with unique full orchestral arrangements behind each version. There were full-sized Hi-Fi "theater speakers" throughout the ride (Altec "Voice of the Theater" if anyone knows about such things) and it sounded so GOOD in there.

I have no idea how many (and what kind) of tape playback systems ($$$) they had to operate simultaneously to get that many recordings to play in (mostly) sync. There were no compact discs or digital players... only reel-to-reel (and later, "cartridge") studio tape players. It was a staggering technical feat to get all those individual "tracks" to play at the same time.
(I remember each "room" was in sync, with the music being slightly "off-sync" as you passed into the next gigantic room).

We bought the LP record back then (not even released in STEREO, just Mono) of the music and I memorized each version (I was in grade school then).

Since that time there have been many "modernizations" of the attraction.
When IASW came to WDW, it already had been "pared-down" from the Disneyland original. And even the original California version was "down-graded" over the years.
Gone where the massive (and superior-sounding) theater speakers, replaced with much smaller speakers of lesser quality.
The music tracks where re-recorded with "smaller", simpler arrangements using fewer singers, and in fewer languages.
The dolls still wiggled and spun but it was... NOT THE SAME!

Well, in 2005-6 the WDW version of IASW underwent an UPGRADE.
Many (most) of the dolls were replaced (or at least repainted).
The sets and interior walls were coated in a new deeper, richer color scheme.
The load-area was improved by the addition of an elaborate new animatronic "clock" mounted in a surround-setting that has a similar feel to the (much larger) Disneyland IASW exterior.

But, during the new construction period, I heard a RUMOR of something that raised my hopes (although tempered with the "real-world" skepticism that said, "Why bother to spend time and $$ on such things?")

Still, when I got to ride IASW after it reopened in WDW...

My own ears confirmed it... YES, the ORIGINAL 1963-64 SOUNDTRACK (that I had loved and "lived") had been RESURRECTED, and digitally RESTORED!

There are MANY added individual speakers in each doll-vignette, each with its OWN version of the song (again, with the elaborate individual track from 1963-4)
What a joy it was to hear the old familiar tracks that my family (brother, two sisters, Mom and Dad) had loved so much in the '60's!

The current "finale" room is a new recording (as the old one had an actual "ending" that just didn't fit with the modern-day ability to "seamlessly" loop the tracks). But even the new finale track is carefully crafted in the same style as the original version... well-done!

To me, IASW is BACK!

So, again, if you don't know or care about these kind of things, don't bother to ride IASW. Its going to seem like that "same-old, once-is-enough" kind of ride.

But to an "old-time Disney veteran" its a trip back in time to when Disney was still the name of a MAN... who loved his park... and nothing was too good to lavish on the guests who came to visit.

A special THANKS to those Imagineers who painstakingly and "lovingly" restored each of those amazing old audio tapes. And made them (again) a part of the Happiest Place on Earth for us "kids" to enjoy.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

To me, IASW is BACK!

So, again, if you don't know or care about these kind of things, don't bother to ride IASW. Its going to seem like that "same-old, once-is-enough" kind of ride.

But to an "old-time Disney veteran" its a trip back in time to when Disney was still the name of a MAN... who loved his park... and nothing was too good to lavish on the guests who came to visit.

A special THANKS to those Imagineers who painstakingly and "lovingly" restored each of those amazing old audio tapes. And made them (again) a part of the Happiest Place on Earth for us "kids" to enjoy.

Great post! Thanks.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

I thought of that ride in another context. At work we have a bi-weekly conference call where the organizer goes bonkers anytime someone doesn't put the phone on mute and there is background noise. I thought how fun it would be to dial in while on that ride!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: