Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Coco Beach and other Florida Beaches

I have from NJ and we have lifegaurds at our beaches. Is this the case for Florida? Particulary Cocoa Beach Thanks
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

Not sure about Cocoa, but Daytona does. At least on the part where you can drive on the beach and park. If you are from NJ you will LOVE that!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
leighi123
Earning My Ears

They have them at cocoa beach, its a HUGE beach though and sometimes very crowded. We live 20min south from there and the beaches have lifeguards, a lot less crowded, a lot cleaner and nicer! (I hate going up to cocoa, we only do to watch surfing!)
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123
They have them at cocoa beach, its a HUGE beach though and sometimes very crowded. We live 20min south from there and the beaches have lifeguards, a lot less crowded, a lot cleaner and nicer! (I hate going up to cocoa, we only do to watch surfing!)
Are there nice hotels where you are?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

don't think I can let the Cocoa Beach comment stand as it is ....

I've spent a bit of time in Seaside Heights, Lavalette, Tom's River, Asbury Park, Brick, Breille and Manesquan and believe a person from the "Jersey Shore" can probably relate to a couple of things

1. The Jersey Shore is a long long stretch of beach altho any one person may be considering just a small local part. So too, what many think of as Cocoa Beach is not just the small bit in the township of Cocoa Beach, or near the Cocoa Beach Pier but rather an unbroken expanse of beach from the south side of Port Canaveral to Sebastian Inlet ... 38 miles.

Cocoa Beach proper is 6 miles south of the port so discussiong Cocoa proper may not even be a good answer to your question.

2. Certainly the entire reach of "Jersey Shore" does not have year round life guards and we certainly have that situation in the greater 'Cocoa Beach' area. Perhaps worse in that local governments struggle to fund lifeguards year round while at the same time not liking the bad press that resulted from appearing on the 'most dangeous beach' list a few years ago. There are seasonal lifeguards at the more built up areas and a small few areas w/ lifeguards year round, and even then, hours vary.

The areas around the Cocoa Pier & Minuteman Causway are very popular with the surf crowd and on the weekends get quite busy not in a small part due to the proximity of "watering holes" for libations. Crowds thin considerably as one ventures to either side of these locations. Once south of Cocoa Beach, well they get downright sparse until you get to the Indianlantic area or Melbourne Beach. The beaches near Patrick AFB (open to the public) can often find one family with empty sand for a hundred yards to either side ... easy to watch your own in these conditions!

One of the most commonly recommended beaches for cruise visitors is Jetty Part, immediately of the south jetty of the port.

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/

currently this website says:

The Beach

If surf and sand are in your plans, visit our 4.5 acres of soft, pristine, sandy beach designated for Jetty Park guests. On the beach you are protected with lifeguards on duty all year round. You won't even have to bother with dragging along those cumbersome chairs and umbrellas. Jetty Park has a vendor located on the beach where everything can be rented including chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, paddle boards, boogie boards, etc. Outdoor showers located on the boardwalks are always a welcome sight after a long day on the beach. Our beaches have state of art beach cleaning equipement to keep them in pristine condition for your enjoyment.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ
don't think I can let the Cocoa Beach comment stand as it is ....

I've spent a bit of time in Seaside Heights, Lavalette, Tom's River, Asbury Park, Brick, Breille and Manesquan and believe a person from the "Jersey Shore" can probably relate to a couple of things

1. The Jersey Shore is a long long stretch of beach altho any one person may be considering just a small local part. So too, what many think of as Cocoa Beach is not just the small bit in the township of Cocoa Beach, or near the Cocoa Beach Pier but rather an unbroken expanse of beach from the south side of Port Canaveral to Sebastian Inlet ... 38 miles.

Cocoa Beach proper is 6 miles south of the port so discussiong Cocoa proper may not even be a good answer to your question.

2. Certainly the entire reach of "Jersey Shore" does not have year round life guards and we certainly have that situation in the greater 'Cocoa Beach' area. Perhaps worse in that local governments struggle to fund lifeguards year round while at the same time not liking the bad press that resulted from appearing on the 'most dangeous beach' list a few years ago. There are seasonal lifeguards at the more built up areas an a small few areas lifeguards year roundand even then, hours vary.

The areas around the Cocoa Pier & Minuteman Causway are very popular with the surf crowd and on the weekends get quite busy not in a small part due to the proximity of "watering holes" for libations. Crowds thin considerably as one ventures to either side of these locations. At once south of Cocoa Beach, well they get downright sparse until you get to the Indianlantic area or Melbourne Beach. The beaches near Patrick AFB (open to the public) can often find one family with empty sand for a hundred yards to either side ... easy to watch your own in these conditions!

One of the most commonly recommended beaches for cruise visitors is Jetty Part, immediately of the south jetty of the port.

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/

currently this website says:

The Beach

If surf and sand are in your plans, visit our 4.5 acres of soft, pristine, sandy beach designated for Jetty Park guests. On the beach you are protected with lifeguards on duty all year round. You won't even have to bother with dragging along those cumbersome chairs and umbrellas. Jetty Park has a vendor located on the beach where everything can be rented including chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, paddle boards, boogie boards, etc. Outdoor showers located on the boardwalks are always a welcome sight after a long day on the beach. Our beaches have state of art beach cleaning equipement to keep them in pristine condition for your enjoyment.
Is Jetty Beach Park the only beach that has rentals? Are there chair/umbrella rentals near the pier too? Are there any nice hotels in front of Jetty Beach Park?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! How far is Jetty Park Beach from the Ron Jon Resort? Thanks so much!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
SunLuvr321
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ View Post
Thanks for the info! How far is Jetty Park Beach from the Ron Jon Resort? Thanks so much!
The Ron Jon Resort is right next to the entrance to Jetty Park. The park has a great fishing pier that you can walk out on to. We have seen dolphins and sea turtles in the water from the pier.

2/2013-Disney Dream ~ 9/2009-Carnival Sensation
SunLuvr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reply It sounds like Jetty Park would be a better option then Cocoa Beach. It sounds like it's within walking distance of the Ron Jon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: