Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
This is the only way to change things. Walmart is just doing what all their competitors are doing, because this is what millions of shoppers want.

And if you don't want to work Thanksgiving (or other holidays) don't work in an industry that requires it. And I feel I can say this as I sit at work right on, my 33rd consecutive Thanksgiving working, at least the 33rd straight for my wife.
Well, I don't know about that. You do what you have to do and it is often with no choice.
(and I have worked my share (25 years+) of holidays as a floor nurse and didn't gripe about it) Now I am in an office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
Speaking as someone who has worked retail for over thirty years, I'm glad that people are paying attention to the fact that we are losing touch with what some holidays are about. I have worked over thirty BFs, and the past few years have become crazier and crazier to work. I remember one BF about three years ago when I actually was afraid I was going to get trampled as shoppers pushed their way past the mgr. opening the doors at 4 a.m.
I'm lucky that this year the retail store I work p/t for is not opening until 6 a.m. tomorrow. I know some will say that other professions always work holidays, but I really don't see getting a good price on a pre-lit Christmas tree or an electronic device as being important enough to keep people away from spending time with their families.
Just my .02 cents
I agree with this.

And as for my thoughts on the Walmart walk out, I have many.
I am old enough to remember when stores were closed on Sundays. And over the years family life has taken a back seat to corporations and the all mighty dollar.
In my opinion that was the beginning of much of what we are seeing now as far as people mattering less and less. There are arguments to be made all around and I get that. Everyone has their own thoughts and these are mine.
Very few people these days are willing and / or able to take a stand in order to make any kind of impact or change. If you do you are labeled a whiner or a trouble maker or word/phrase of your choice.
Good luck to those willing to take a stand for what they believe in. It will take years for change to be made and most people can't see beyond the tip of their own nose nowadays.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: