Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

They each have their own personalities and obviously their fans, and we certainly have our favorites. However, each does the job to DCL's standards. It is sort of like caring who the captain is--again, we have our favorites, but each is fully able to steer the ship and manage the operation safely.

How much interaction you have with the CD is in part luck and in part up to you. Luck is the "are you around when they are around" or do you happen to run into them in the hall kind of thing. The "up to you" is whether you choose to speak to them at the officer evenings, etc.

Christiaan's back flips are amazing. Peter has the personality of a wet noodle, but he honestly has improved in the last year or so. He's more into being himself and less into trying to imitate Christiaan (which he can't pull off!)

Christiaan was on the Fantasy? We have missed him since he's been "Wondering" on the west coast.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #32
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
They each have their own personalities and obviously their fans, and we certainly have our favorites. However, each does the job to DCL's standards. It is sort of like caring who the captain is--again, we have our favorites, but each is fully able to steer the ship and manage the operation safely.

How much interaction you have with the CD is in part luck and in part up to you. Luck is the "are you around when they are around" or do you happen to run into them in the hall kind of thing. The "up to you" is whether you choose to speak to them at the officer evenings, etc.

Christiaan's back flips are amazing. Peter has the personality of a wet noodle, but he honestly has improved in the last year or so. He's more into being himself and less into trying to imitate Christiaan (which he can't pull off!)

Christiaan was on the Fantasy? We have missed him since he's been "Wondering" on the west coast.
Interesting! He did one handed cartwheels on our cruise but no backflips. I clearly would have remembered that! They made a big deal of the cartwheels which had they been backflips, well then they would have deserved the bragging of the person introducing him....well imo it would have.....
Well we felt like it was an imposition of his personal time to try to get Christiaan to pose for a picture and this was during the day!! At that point it was like we got the impression he really didnt care about the guest interaction side of his job. Needless to say, it is about the only time I have written a negative comment about a specific CM on the survey card. Honestly, I really thought he was rude. If he had something he needed to take care of, all he had to do was say so. But he had a crappy attitude and it didn't seem to be any better the other times we saw him around the ship that cruise. Maybe it's better now, but IMO it stunk on that cruise. Oh, and we never did get a pic! lol



Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

We were on the ship the night that DCL authorized the CMs to announce the first Alaska bookings. Christiaan got up on the stage and made the announcement, then launched into a series of backflips....reclaimed the microphone and said "that was just in case any of you were wondering what the crew thinks of the Alaska cruises." He wasn't even winded.

I can't explain the attitude you experienced. As you said, if he was busy, a simple "I can't right now, but catch me in the lobby tonight" would have handled the situation. We've seen him in port and exchanged a 10 second comment in passing. Sure, he kept walking, but he was appropriate. He's always seemed like one of the friendlier of the CDs.

It could just be me, but in the last few years the CDs seem to be turning into more of "business execs" and less of the friendly, public face of the cruise line. Both are aspects of the job, but it makes me wonder if the business part of it is taking over.

Ah well.....we still miss Jacqui.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #34
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,522

Did Rachel Quinn move on? She was like the Senior Cruise Director.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Did Rachel Quinn move on? She was like the Senior Cruise Director.
Rachel was the "Executive Cruise Director" on the Dream. This is the same position held by Christiaan on the Wonder and Brent on the Fantasy. She left DCL to accept a position in entertainment at Animal Kingdom.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post

Just got off the Fantasy yesterday and Ray was the director on that cruise.
We sail on the Fantasy next week. Any thoughts on cruise director Ray?

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #37
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We sail on the Fantasy next week. Any thoughts on cruise director Ray?

Woody
Ray is a good guy. We had him with Natalie as the ACD. Natalie is a bit more "Miss Personality," but as a team they were great.

We've also noticed an expanded role for the ACD on the bigger ships; events that were handled by the CD are often turned over to the ACD....or maybe she was just out and about more than we'd seen on the Magic.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
Cruisin Castaway
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 159

We sail on the Fantasy on 12/15. Any ideas if Ray will still be the cruise director or if it will be Brent?
Cruisin Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #39
mkmommy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

It could just be me, but in the last few years the CDs seem to be turning into more of "business execs" and less of the friendly, public face of the cruise line. Both are aspects of the job, but it makes me wonder if the business part of it is taking over.

Ah well.....we still miss Jacqui.
I think you are correct. There used to always be a thread about the cruise directors, and how everyone loved a certain one, but you just don't seem those threads much anymore.

I guess like any company the bigger you get the more procedures and paperwork take over.
__________________
Me, DH, DD 12 DD 10

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Ray is a good guy. We had him with Natalie as the ACD. Natalie is a bit more "Miss Personality," but as a team they were great.
Thanks. Hopefully we'll have "team Ray and Natalie."

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #41
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 715

Anyone who knows who will be on the wonder this summer?
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Anyone who knows who will be on the wonder this summer?
Most likely, Christaan. He's the CD on the Wonder currently.

A note here about Christaan. Our first 3 cruises we had Brent, and we really loved him and his personality. I had read several comments on various threads about Christaan, and I wasn't sure it was going to be as good an experience with him.

Yes, Christiaan's style is different than Brent's, but it's totally in keeping with DCL standards. I don't remember any backflips on the 2 cruises we had with him, but in the public contact area, I was quite impressed. On our Dec cruise, we were hoping to snag a CM to take our picture in front of the Christmas tree late one night (after the late show). There was absolutly noone around. Then a couple of officers appeared on their way to somewhere. I (without really looking) just grabbed the closest one and said will you take our picture. As he said yes, I realized it was Christaan. Not only did he take the time to take the picture, he took two, because he thought the first one didn't come out so well.

Christaan also has another skill. He can play "Six degrees of separation" on the spot. You give him 2 random people and he can connect them within 6 pairings.

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #43
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Interesting! He did one handed cartwheels on our cruise but no backflips. I clearly would have remembered that! They made a big deal of the cartwheels which had they been backflips, well then they would have deserved the bragging of the person introducing him....well imo it would have.....
Well we felt like it was an imposition of his personal time to try to get Christiaan to pose for a picture and this was during the day!! At that point it was like we got the impression he really didnt care about the guest interaction side of his job. Needless to say, it is about the only time I have written a negative comment about a specific CM on the survey card. Honestly, I really thought he was rude. If he had something he needed to take care of, all he had to do was say so. But he had a crappy attitude and it didn't seem to be any better the other times we saw him around the ship that cruise. Maybe it's better now, but IMO it stunk on that cruise. Oh, and we never did get a pic! lol



Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
I certainly cannot explain what was going on with Christiaan when you sailed, but he has always been wonderful when we have sailed with him. He has taken the time for photos or just to chat. All I can say, is something must have been distracting him.

When did you sail with him?
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
meajuly5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 715

Does anyone know who was on wonder in jan 1998 and on magic in July 1999?
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #45
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran
 
disprincess4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Storybrook
Posts: 546

We were on the Fantasy in June and had Ray. As far as I know there was no assistant cruise director for our sailing. We loved Ray! I'm pretty sure my mother had a crush on him lol She said he had the perfect "cruisey director" voice. He really was very friendly though. He stopped to chat in the hallway with my family one day and was gracious enough to take pictures with us and ask us what activities we were enjoying best. Overall he made a great impression.
__________________



Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.