Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Returning for afternoon swim? Worth it?

Our upcoming Feb. trip will be our first on-site trip with the kids and also the first of our family trips where kids will not need to return for a nap. (We stayed off-site on our last two trips and returned almost every day for naps, rental house was a quick 15 minute drive except for MK which took about 35 with the added TTC stop).

We will be staying at POR and I know the kids will want to swim every day. My question is, is it worth it, time-wise, to return to our resort in the afternoons to swim? How long should we plan for, with bus transportation, to get to and from the parks to our resort?

Our kids are not night owls, so I'm wondering if a better option would be to stay at the parks from opening until just after dinner and then return to our resort around 7pm to swim until bedtime. 9pm is stretching it for them.

It will be February, so I'm thinking the warmest time for swimming will be in the afternoon.

Just not sure how to plan and would welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
coconutprincess
DIS Veteran

Personally - I LOVE going back to the resort for an afternoon swim. I know people that highly disagree and think its a waste. But I really enjoy it! If the kids want to swim, go for it!

Trips:
Grand Floridian (1980's) - Swan (1993)- Radisson Resort Parkway Band/Majorette Trip (1995) - Radisson Resort Parkway Band/Majorette Trip (1997) - Embassy Suites(1997) - OKW (2000) - Carribbean Beach (2001) - POR (2006) - POR (2009) - POR (2010) - WL (2011) - WL (2013)
coconutprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Judging from the ages of your kids, I'd say you're still going to need a mid-day break. Even if they don't nap, they'll probably benefit from some down-time. My DS was 5 on our last trip and was way past the napping stage at home, but he napped several days on our trip.

Also, swimming will be best at the warmest part of the day. The pools are heated, but we found it too cold to swim at night even in April.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

How long should I plan to take the bus to the resort, swim and take the bus back? Thanks!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I also agree with heading back to the resort. I love leaving the parks when things are getting crazy and returning to a nice slower paced resort. It won't seem like a waste, it will seem like a relief!

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
How long should I plan to take the bus to the resort, swim and take the bus back? Thanks!
Maybe 3 hours depending on how long it takes you to get them out of the park and then out of the pool and dressed.

The big issue is when are you going. Some weeks in Feb they have pretty short hours, so the parks such as AK will only be open until 6 (I have seen 5) so you only have 9 hours of park time. MK until maybe 8.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Right now the posted schedule has MK until 9 or 10 and Epcot until 9. We will be at AK one day and it's 9-7 and we will probably just stay all day that day.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

I find we recharge our batteries if we take a break, then enjoy the rest of the day much more and we don't even have kids.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I'm 26 and still need a mid-day break. We usually stay at POR also. We get to the parks at RD, leave around lunch and go back to the resort to swim and relax. We then shower and get cleaned up and go back out to a park for dinner. We were usually back at the resort by 10 or 11 but could have been back by 9 if we wanted to. The mid-day break is the only thing that kept me going after being up early and all the walking all day. Plus, afternoons are the warmest time of day and also the most crowded so it got us out of the parks during that time. I'd say it took us 35-40 minutes to travel on the buses including waiting for it, but sometimes it was shorter and rarely was it longer.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
Right now the posted schedule has MK until 9 or 10 and Epcot until 9. We will be at AK one day and it's 9-7 and we will probably just stay all day that day.
Just to add my own experience, from when my son's where 9 and 8 (first trip) we almost always do RD to closing.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm an adult with no little kids and I need the break. I don't always swim. But it's just so nice to hang out in the room and be off my feet for a few hours.

But since you mentioned that your kids aren't night owls and it may work better just to keep going until dinnertime and then leave for the night. You will miss the nighttime fireworks doing this though.

So why not try it both ways - one day take a break and then go back for fireworks and other day stay all day and leave after 7pm.
See which works best for your family.

Have a great time in February!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
greengeen
Mouseketeer

Orlando, February - the sun sets around 6:15pm, and the average low temp is 50. I wouldn't count on it being warm enough to swim after sunset, so go much earlier. The pools are heated, but getting in & out of them can be freezing.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
dmdelight
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I'm an adult with no little kids and I need the break. I don't always swim. But it's just so nice to hang out in the room and be off my feet for a few hours.

But since you mentioned that your kids aren't night owls and it may work better just to keep going until dinnertime and then leave for the night. You will miss the nighttime fireworks doing this though.

So why not try it both ways - one day take a break and then go back for fireworks and other day stay all day and leave after 7pm.
See which works best for your family.

Have a great time in February!
what a great suggestion.

i would just like to add, the weather can be unpredictable in feb.
we packed for warm weather, and it was freezing cold-there were days when it was frosty-but still bright and fresh.
certainly not swimming weather! however, i would still say yes to breaks.
dmdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Just a thought - if you are taking the break because your kids want to swim, and consider that part of the Disney experience, great.

But if you are taking the break to give your kids some rest/downtime...I wouldn't expect it to function that way. Getting out of the park, back to the resort, changing, swimming (exhausting), changing again, getting back to the parks, etc. is a lot of walking and a takes a lot of energy and is probably more tiring than just staying in the park and doing some easy stuff in the afternoon (like Hall of Presidents or Ellen's Energy Adventure or a show at DHS).
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

We never use to take a break before. Without a break, we'd be done with the parks around 7pm. too tired to go on. then we switched it up and decided to take breaks. Its so much better that way! We swim, or just chill out in the room. Quite often im the one napping while my DS12 does his own thing. LOL! We love the midday breaks!! We can stay out much later that way, and we're in a much better mood overall. Youre on vacation, do what you want.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: