Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #46
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

We're odd, but DH and I have always chosen Disney transportation over our own car. We drive to the parks so much that when we stay on property we want a vacationy/resort experience, and part of that experience is taking the buses. Then we can utilize the time on the bus planning our next move and just relaxing instead of driving.

However, the buses were a total fiasco during our stay last month at Saratoga Springs (which we got bumped to, it would NEVER have been our choice) and we wound up driving a few times.

Our next stay in January is at our first value resort. I'm curious to see how it will work out, and whether we'll stick to the buses or drive ourselves everywhere!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #47
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Love the freedom of *not* driving, just relaxing, and let Disney do the driving!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #48
WDWPooh
Mouseketeer

We never seem to be on the bus that long. Besides... I like the whole being dropped off at the gate deal by the bus
WDWPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #49
THEJOEL
Excited & Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134
I enjoy the freedom of having a car. Most people will agree that if you have a car, it's easier to drive to all the parks except MK.
I agree.....we always take our car to the parks because it is much more efficient and if you stay on site parking is free. Last trip we took the bus our last day and waited well over 30 minutes just to board because they had to load 3 separate ECV passengers.
THEJOEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
catne
DIS Veteran

we gave up on the buses years ago...way too many 60-75 minute bus experiences. And somehow, regardless of which resort we stayed at I swear our resort bus stop was always the longest walk, lol.

Even to MK we prefer driving. Can't beat always having a seat and A/C or heat set where you want it.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #51
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

We always drive from our resort. Because of being deployed so many times, I do not like small confined spaces. Driving just works better for our family.
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #52
tsmith76
Mouseketeer

You can get aaa passes cheap on eBay
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
fbarker
Mouseketeer

We are drivers also. We always drive down to WDW so we have our car with us. We love the convenience of having our own car....at the end of the day its always nice to be able to get into your own car and not have to deal with the masses. We have rarely found the drive back to resort to be bad and the traffic always moves fairly well, of course being from a major metropolitan area where I fight traffic everyday the traffic at WDW is a piece of cake. The only time we consider bus transportatioin is when visiting the MK but the car normally wins out because taking the monorail is part of the WDW experience.
fbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #54
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

We always rent a car when we go- for the same reasons as other posters...freedom to do whatever! We've contemplated using bus service to MK, but have driven w/o complaints. The TTC can be a pain or be fun- depending on how you look at it. The kiddos love taking the ferry, so we often opt for that
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #55
hookedonears
Louisianan

Disney Transportation is part of the Magic for us. Having a car may be quicker and afford more flexibility, but having to find parking places, walking across giant parking lots and just driving in traffic itself, takes a part of the magic away for us. The only car we rent is a Limo/Town car to pick us up at MCO and take us back again.

Last edited by hookedonears; 11-22-2012 at 08:42 AM.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #56
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
I'll speak to the AAA parking pass. We stayed at POR last Oct near Halloween time. We always took the bus to MK and even to MK to the boat to FW to HDDR and it worked beautifully. One time going to MK in the afternoon we were the ONLY ones on the bus. Coming back from MK in the evenings would entail more of a wait because, well, the Wishes masses entail lots and lots of need for busses, as you can imagine. We drove to Epcot and AK. At AK the AAA diamond parking was right near handicap, close to the front entrance and convenient. However, I will say, we got there before park opening and most parking looked convenient at that point. The AAA parking at EPcot was awesome. We walked in with the CM's...again we parked early because we had and ADR for Akershus. This all said, the AAA diamond parking pass will get you a closer parking space, theoretically. However, if you get to parks early, you can park almost just as close in some of the regular spots. There are a limited number of AAA spaces. The pass comes with a package booked with a AAA agent. Some agencies may give you one even if you didn't book with them. Varies by location.

We fly into Tampa instead of Orlando. It is cheaper for us. We keep the car. Like having it. It was literally a breeze traveling to Epcot and AK in the car. It seemed like 10-15 minutes. We never had any problem driving. It was also a breeze taking the bus to MK from POR. I'd still, however, always get a car. That's just us. I get a great leisure rate as a benefit from work. It is worth it to us.
I like the AAA parking pass at DHS the most. But, if you drive in the middle of the day, I have been denied using the AAA pass by the parking CM several times especially at AK. It is frustrating. The first time I was denied I followed directions and parked where I was instructed. Then I walked by the AAA lot and saw lots of parking spaces. Another time I was denied parking there, I managed to work my to the lot anyway.

On the whole, we go every year, we have a car. I don't particularly like to drive but when we do we try to use or AAA pass. I think it works about 80% of the time. I agree that if you drive to the park for rope drop, you can always get AAA spot, but at that point it isn't much better than the other spots available.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

When we drive, we usually take our car to AK and DHS. It does save time and it's a nice break from the buses.

We normally take the bus to Epcot and MK.

My reasoning is drinking.
Someone can't drink if we are driving and that someone is usually me. I get tired of always having to be the driver so it's nice not to have to worry about having a designated driver for at least Epcot.

And MK is easier for us to get to if we take the buses. My husband hates dealing with the ferry or monorail.

When I go solo, I just take Disney transportation.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #58
codfishy
Earning My Ears

Just leaving after an 8 day stay at CSR and enjoyed amazingly efficient and timely bus service. Max wait was 7 minutes with regular pick up within 5 minutes. Loved not having the hassle of driving, navigating and parking while on vacation. I have read that Coronado enjoyed superior bus service and I can now testify to it.
codfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #59
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by codfishy View Post
Just leaving after an 8 day stay at CSR and enjoyed amazingly efficient and timely bus service. Max wait was 7 minutes with regular pick up within 5 minutes. Loved not having the hassle of driving, navigating and parking while on vacation. I have read that Coronado enjoyed superior bus service and I can now testify to it.
I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and have pretty much settled on the moderates as my resorts of choice. One of the reasons I love CSR so much is their great bus service. It has consistently been the best bus service of any WDW resort I stay at. (and I've stayed at Pop multiple times, AS Sports twice, AS Music, CSR many times, POFQ many times, PORS, CBR (twice), AKL twice, WL, BW, and YC)

However, my last two trips I have rented a car and loved having the flexibility to go resort to resort or offsite to the outlet malls and Universal. Plus the drive to and from the parks is so much faster and I like not having to wait in the bus lines at the parks or worrying if I'll have a seat or not. Getting in the car is so much more peaceful than listening to crying kids crammed onto a bus. Plus my mom has been with me, so we've been able to use her handicap tag, which gets her parking really close, except at MK. She also uses an ECV down there, so a rental car avoids all the glares and comments, when she has to load onto a bus.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #60
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith76 View Post
You can get aaa passes cheap on eBay
I'm sure you're aware that all AAA parking passes do state on them..not for sale and non-transferable. So, discussing how to get one on eBay is pretty much against board guidelines, not to mention against eBay rules.

In any case..I have had a car and I have used Disney transportation. I have no issue with the buses/boats/monorails. Yes, it can take a bit longer. But it has never taken me 60-90 mins to get anywhere!!! Well, there was that one time the monorail line got hit by lightning and was shut down, which made getting from Epcot to MK a truly miserable experience!! That did take us 2 hrs!!! Bus to TTC, then walk over to Polynesian to take their boat to MK. Huge crowds everywhere with that same thought due to the issues.

But in all reality??? It's up to each family to make a choice. For DTD, having a car is wonderful. Otherwise, I have seldom felt the need to drive. But, if others are renting cars, and driving to the parks??? More room on the buses for me!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: