Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
leighi123
Earning My Ears

wave phones?

What is the deal with wave phones?

If my kid is going to be in the kids club, do I have to carry one around?

I usually just have my camera and room key on me, so will I need to have a bag or something to carry it in? Does anyone know the dimensions of a wave phone?
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
TDluvsDaisy
DVC Member BCV & VGF

They will call your wave phone if there is a problem. The phone is just a bit bigger than an iphone in my opinion. You'll want to keep it on you.

My family and I in 3 staterooms used it a lot to keep in contact with each other.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You are not obligated to carry the wave phone, but it is the way the staff would use to reach you if your child needs or wants you.

Since I didn't have a child in the programming and considered them to be a bit of a pain (especially the $250 charge for loss or damage when it is probably a $29 item!), we just shoved them in the desk drawer and ignored them until they ran low on battery and started beeping in the middle of the night.

Yes, guests and CMs can use them to call you. I'm on vacation and the only person I choose to be accessible to is the one who boarded with me. I'm on cell and internet silence.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

It's slightly longer and thinner than an iphone. I carried a small shoulder bag to keep it in as well as my camera and such. My hubby would have thrown it in his pants pocket. We kept it on us when kids were in the nursery/kids club because you just never know. We also used it when we would split up and want to catch up with each other later when on the ship. I don't know if you can get cell service in the middle of the ocean or if you would accrue additional charges or not.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
leighi123
Earning My Ears

We have 5 adults and 1 kid, and 3 different rooms (2 connecting, one very far away from those!)

Levi is 5, and he is the type to never want to leave a kids area, he is fine without me! BUT he has lots of bad food allergies, so I think its best if they can contact me if he has an issue. It just seems like a pain in the butt to carry and expensive if lost!

I don't have an iphone so I can't compare sizes..
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
goeva
DIS Veteran

Here you go. You can find details, pictures of the wave phone, and size comparison here.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629954
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Our kids were in the club two weeks ago on the magic and I believe we were required to have the phone with us if we had a child checked in there. I carried it in a little wristlet with my room key. Our kids loved the club but there were several incidents where they had to contact us.
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
You are not obligated to carry the wave phone, but it is the way the staff would use to reach you if your child needs or wants you.

Since I didn't have a child in the programming and considered them to be a bit of a pain (especially the $250 charge for loss or damage when it is probably a $29 item!), we just shoved them in the desk drawer and ignored them until they ran low on battery and started beeping in the middle of the night.

Yes, guests and CMs can use them to call you. I'm on vacation and the only person I choose to be accessible to is the one who boarded with me. I'm on cell and internet silence.
We, too, do not bother with them. We just turn them off, then they don't beep. And then we turn them back on again at the end of the cruise, and take a picture of them with the day's Navigator, to show they were still in the room when we left.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123
What is the deal with wave phones?

If my kid is going to be in the kids club, do I have to carry one around?

I usually just have my camera and room key on me, so will I need to have a bag or something to carry it in? Does anyone know the dimensions of a wave phone?
You are supposed to carry one around in case something happens to your kid in the kids club. If you aren't in your room then they won't be able to contact you quickly unless you are carrying your wave phone.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

They were asking at Scuttle's Cove (kids' club on Castaway Cay) last month if parents had them. If not, the CMs were asking parents to check in every 45 minutes or so. I thought I had read that the phones don't work very well on the island, but maybe they've fixed that.
It would be a pain to check in so frequently if you're at Serenity Bay, but I can see how circumstances would be different on the island (concerns about sun exposure, sensory issues with sand, kids being too cold after water play, etc). I'd just bring it to be safe.
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer

You can purchase holders from people on Etsy. They have clear screens and hooks so you can latch them on bags, pants, etc... very cool! Just got some for our cruise and they are so cute!

Here's where I got mine and our umbrella spotters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gradysmommy..._shop_redirect

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
leighi123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
You can purchase holders from people on Etsy. They have clear screens and hooks so you can latch them on bags, pants, etc... very cool! Just got some for our cruise and they are so cute!

Here's where I got mine and our umbrella spotters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gradysmommy..._shop_redirect
I actually sew for a living, so I was going to just make one myself! I don't like the idea of just elastic at the top opening, knowing me I'd find a way to for it to slip out. I'm going to do velcro or snaps maybe.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #13
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I guess this next cruise I will be forced to carry one! Never used one when it was just my mom and I but with 2 nieces next trip and one with lactose intollerance I guess one of us adults will have to have it. Since my mom can't see small print and will probably forget the wave phone in the room, I have a feeling I will be stuck with it.

I hope I can make a case for it as I don't want to drag around a larger bag with the phone in it.

Ugg! I wish I had known that those wave phones make noise when the battery is dying. Darn thing was disconnected as we needed the plug to charge batteries on the camcorder and forgot to replug them in. Was woken up to beeping! I kept asking my mom what did you do with the alarm clock. She assured me she didn't touch it. Finally figured out it was the wave phone.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

FWIW the phones do not ring out loud, unless apparently they have a dead battery. They only vibrate subtlety, which is difficult to realize unless located in a sensitive area on your body. We missed 3/4 of the calls/texts, but checked the phone screen often, and reconnected with said caller shortly. You can call any wave phone, cabin, guest services, room service, or security, etc. They do work on CC usually. HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: