Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Grand Caymen Excursion Question

Ok I am a few days away from being able to book excursions so I am trying to make a final decision. We are thinking about the stingray swim with the tour. The one that goes to hell and the turtle farm then the sting rays. What we want to know is if things are really rushed - it doesn't seem like you would have more than a few minutes at the first two places before going to the boat for the stingrays? Anyone that has done this excursion have a good or bad review of it? Thanks in advance I know everyone here will have great info - you guys always do!!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We have done this excursion 3 times and loved it each time! The stop at "Hell" is not long, but its just a rock formation, so about 15 minutes to check it out, take a few photos and buy a postcard to send (Postmarked Hell) is all you need. I suggest bringing address labels of those you want to send postcards to with you! We always send one home to ourselves as well...the postmark is just too funny!
Then, the Turtle Farm is about an hour stop...you don't need a ton of time, its a big loop with different tanks with turtles at different ages. The guide will take turtles out for you and the kids to hold and take photos. There is a wading pool where you can climb in with little turtles and pick them up...kids love it (and me, as a BIG kid, LOVES it, too!)
Then, you take a short bus ride to a dock and get on the boat for the Stingray Sandbar. It is about a 35 minute boat ride out to the Sandbar. There is plenty of time there to walk around in the water, the guide will catch a wild stingray and hold it and take photos. The guide will also probably have squid to feed the stingrays. I suggest using a mask to look at the stingrays under the water, but the snorkel isn't really necessary. We dove down to pick up some giant conch as well.
All in all, my most favorite excursion is this one!
The photo below is an excellent example of how clear the water is at the sandbar!

A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
Ok I am a few days away from being able to book excursions so I am trying to make a final decision. We are thinking about the stingray swim with the tour. The one that goes to hell and the turtle farm then the sting rays. What we want to know is if things are really rushed - it doesn't seem like you would have more than a few minutes at the first two places before going to the boat for the stingrays? Anyone that has done this excursion have a good or bad review of it? Thanks in advance I know everyone here will have great info - you guys always do!!
I am so glad you asked this. We are not traveling until next October, and this is the excursion I want to take as well!!

Scarpbookmama, thank you for filling us in!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

We did this. We felt very rushed at the first three stops (beach, Hell, rum factory) and would probably not do it this way again. We did enjoy the turtle farm, but were rushed out of the gift shop. The stingrays were AMAZING! We loved the boat ride and time spent with them. We would have spent all day with them if at all possible.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great info and the great picture - I think we will definitely do this excursion!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: