Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

Dinner Menu questions

This is our first cruise and I am in complete OCD mode!!!
We are going on a 6-night cruise on the Magic out of Galveston. I think I have determined that this is the dining schedule:
Sat - casual
Sun - formal
Mon - casual
Tues - pirate
Wed - semi formal
Thurs - casual

So my questions are:
1. I think formal night and pirate night have a special menu... correct? Does Semi-formal night?
2. Are the 3 casual nights in 3 different restaurants?

I am trying to figure out which night to try to do Palo's without missing something else. i want to experience each dining room and their menu and pirate night. I am thinking of doing either formal or semi formal night at Palo's. Will I miss something with either of these?

Thanks!

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclanton View Post
We are going on a 6-night cruise on the Magic out of Galveston. I think I have determined that this is the dining schedule:
Sat - casual
Sun - formal
Mon - casual
Tues - pirate
Wed - semi formal
Thurs - casual

So my questions are:
1. I think formal night and pirate night have a special menu... correct? Does Semi-formal night?

I am trying to figure out which night to try to do Palo's without missing something else. i want to experience each dining room and their menu and pirate night. I am thinking of doing either formal or semi formal night at Palo's. Will I miss something with either of these?

Thanks!
There will be a different menu each night in the MDRs. So, if you go to Palo for dinner, you will miss a menu. AFAIK, the semi-formal menu is the Captain's Gala menu. And, not sure, but I think the formal night one is Prince & Princess Menu.

Hard to say which MDR you will be in for casual nights. Chances are if your schedule is correct, you will be in 2 different dining rooms for casual night. The rotation could be as simple as 123123. Or more complicated.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On each cruise, you have the signature menu for each restaurant. On the remaining number of nights, you have the theme menus. These include Pirate. Captain's Gala, Prince and Princess, Till We Meet Again, Golden Mickeys, etc. depending on your cruise. There is no way that you can go to Palo and not miss something in the main dining rooms. The question is what, if anything, you choose to miss.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your quick replies. That is what I kind of expected. I think I will try to go to Palo's on Formal night. I can't see my son really wanting to dress up and Prince and Princess theme will not be his thing. That also means 1 less night that my husband will have to dress up (instead of Palo, Semi and Formal it will be just Palo and Semi). My son can go to the Kid's club while we celebrate my 40th at Palos!
Thanks again for the information... not sure how I would do this without you all!

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL

Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sat - casual
Sun - formal
Mon - casual
Tues - pirate
Wed - semi formal
Thurs - casual

So my questions are:

Thanks!

I am so glad that you found that dining rotation for the 2013 itineraries because my fear was that it was different than the 2012 and I am trying to pinpoint the formal night as well! I am going OCD too!

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

I'd recommend Palo on Pirate Night. It was our least favorite menu and has become a tradition since our first DCL cruise.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrislc
I'd recommend Palo on Pirate Night. It was our least favorite menu and has become a tradition since our first DCL cruise.
Our experience was quite the opposite. Our most memorable dinner was on Pirate Night, largely b/c of our two children. They had a blast - we had a blast.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland

Our experience was quite the opposite. Our most memorable dinner was on Pirate Night, largely b/c of our two children. They had a blast - we had a blast.
Us too. Our DD would be crushed if we missed pirate night. She'd rather miss the Animators Palate show!!! Plus, she loves the Treasure of the Seas pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Another vote for "not impressed with pirate night food".

7 cruises in and it really is the most lackluster of menus on all 4 ships.

You could consider (if you're in main seating) going with your son for dinner and then putting him in the kids club while you do Palo at a second seating time. If you eat at 8/815 you should have sufficient time to enjoy your meal and get out for fireworks.

Just a thought.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809
Another vote for "not impressed with pirate night food".

7 cruises in and it really is the most lackluster of menus on all 4 ships.

You could consider (if you're in main seating) going with your son for dinner and then putting him in the kids club while you do Palo at a second seating time. If you eat at 8/815 you should have sufficient time to enjoy your meal and get out for fireworks.

Just a thought.
And if you can't snag a Palo ressie, try Cabanas. We put the kids in the club so they could enjoy all the pirate activities and we went to Cabanas. I had the best meal of the whole cruise that night and it was just a steak, loaded baked potato, and asparagus. But it was just perfectly cooked and exactly what I wanted after several nights of MDR food (I LOVE DCL, but the MDR food is just so so). Plus Cabanas was so quiet and romantic, just the two of us by a window. Perfect!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

What is Cabana's? It sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL

Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's the name of the buffet on the Dream & the Fantasy.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

Another vote for going on Pirate night - my least favorite menu (although obviously there are some who like it). It's a little confusing because the OP said she was going on the Magic out of Galveston, but in the signature it says "Dream Cruise," so I could see where people might think she was traveling on the Dream, and I guess that's why Cabanas was mentioned. It took me a couple of minutes to piece it together. They do have a similar buffet type of restaurant on the Magic, though.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It is a buffet at breakfast and lunch, but a sit down dinner with salad bar in the evening.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

That's the name of the buffet on the Dream & the Fantasy.

Sorry-I just read the op again, and they said they are on the Magic. Sorry for the confusion!

Not sure if the options on the Magic are as good, so I'll let others comment on that.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: