Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
whatisgoofy?
Mouseketeer

How To Start Planning?

When we last visited WDW 12 years ago, we got a fairly nice package through AAA. We're planning a trip for October 2013 for 2 adults and 2 kids, and are trying to find the best possible deal. AAA is still on our radar, but we've heard a lot about tracking down individual deals on rooms and tickets to make a sort of homemade package. The question is...how do we get started? I've been to lots of sites, and the assault of information has left me more confused than when I began. Where is a good place to look for deals without having to leap through 400 additional steps? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Have you considered renting points from a DVC member? You can find HUGE savings this way! Someone who has extra points they want to rent, can rent to you at their home resort up to 11 months in advance, and at other dvc resorts up to 7 months out. We got a savannah view studio at Jambo house for about $165 a night, and a studio at VWL for about $190!!! A savings of at least 50%.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz
Have you considered renting points from a DVC member? You can find HUGE savings this way! Someone who has extra points they want to rent, can rent to you at their home resort up to 11 months in advance, and at other dvc resorts up to 7 months out. We got a savannah view studio at Jambo house for about $165 a night, and a studio at VWL for about $190!!! A savings of at least 50%.
Can you please tell me how someone would go about doing this. I saw something on another post and wrote the one web page down. But it must have gotten thrown away
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

Sure, it is on the main page of these boards, DVC- rent/trade. Most folks are charging 10-12$ per point. There is another site but I don't know if I can name it here, they charge $13 per point.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz
Sure, it is on the main page of these boards, DVC- rent/trade. Most folks are charging 10-12$ per point. There is another site but I don't know if I can name it here, they charge $13 per point.
Thank you
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoofy? View Post
When we last visited WDW 12 years ago, we got a fairly nice package through AAA. We're planning a trip for October 2013 for 2 adults and 2 kids, and are trying to find the best possible deal. AAA is still on our radar, but we've heard a lot about tracking down individual deals on rooms and tickets to make a sort of homemade package. The question is...how do we get started? I've been to lots of sites, and the assault of information has left me more confused than when I began. Where is a good place to look for deals without having to leap through 400 additional steps? Thanks for your help!
There aren't any deals out yet for October 2013 and won't be for awhile.

But what you can start with is figuring out which resort you are interesting in staying at and look on Disney's website to get the full price of it.

If you want to look at the full package of resort, tickets and dining you can do that by selecting package and then making your choices.

You can also look at just the hotel only or hotel and tickets only.

I would also sign up to receive the Walt Disney World planning DVD. That will hopefully get you a discount in your email. I haven't gotten one but other people have.

The other thing you can do is sign up for the Mousesavers newsletter. They will email you with deals. It's www.mousesavers.com.

It seems overwhelming the first time you start trying to book everything yourself but if you take it step by step, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Hootch
DIS Veteran

There are

authorized ticket brokers that will have tickets cheaper than AAA. We use Undercover Tourist. I just compared their prices to our local AAA and there was a significant discount. Buy these early next year. Last year Disney raised prices in June. Previously it had been August. The tickets will be good in October.

For room you can play around the WDW website. Make sure you are registered. A couple of years ago I was receiving pins for discounts and actually got one we could use. Haven't gotten any recently. You can still get the AAA room only discount on your own. You will have to call Disney to get it. The discount will vary by resort and time of year. For June 2013 we got a 10% at POFQ. There are a limited number of rooms available.

In the upper right hand corner of this site is a "Discounts" button that will show you what is currently available. On the Disney site under Packages, there is a Special Offers option that will also show you what is available.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
whatisgoofy?
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice...I will definitely sign up at the WDW website (I do have the DVD, but never registered), and check the Undercover Tourist tickets early next year!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
linnylu
Mouseketeer

Is it better to book the room on the Disney site and then buy the tickets on your own?
linnylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Buying tickets on your own you can get a better deal than getting them from Disney. Under Cover Tourist is a great place to get tickets! UCT some times has deals of buy a 3 day ticket and get the 4th day free. Here is a link to their web sit

http://www.undercovertourist.com/orl...s/tickets.html

I have used them many many times and have never had any issues!

Also think about what type of accomdations you would like. For example are you okay with just a Disney value room? The value resorts have basic rooms with a small mini beverage fridge and have two beds in a room. They do not provide towels at the pool you have to use the one from your room - which is no biggy you can get a fresh one from mousekeeping.
The next step up is a moderate resort and some of the differences are that you get towels at the pool, better quality towels AKA thicker than the ones at a value. Two beds and fridge.
So you get the gist of how the resorts differ. I have stayed at all of the different level of resorts and just because a resort is labeled a value doesn't mean its a run down resort. Disney still maintains them just like the other resorts.
It really depends on your budget and where you would like to stay.

But you have come to the right place to start your planning. You will find a lot of great info on the boards and feel free to ask lots of questions. Many of us have a lot of knowledge and would be happy to help you.

Here is another site for good deals. http://www.mousesavers.com/

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 11-04-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Hootch
DIS Veteran

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnylu View Post
Is it better to book the room on the Disney site and then buy the tickets on your own?
is probably the most accurate answer. Some packages could be a better deal for a family based on family size, kids' ages, level of resort, etc. For example, free dining requires paying rack rate for your hotel room. The room discount without the package could be 25%-35%. A couple staying at the Poly would have a different answer than a family of four with two teenage kids staying at POFQ. Additionally, some families, like us, choose not to eat the equivalent of a table service meal a day. Free dining would never work for us.

Back when free dining was rolling out an not widely known, I mentioned it to some friends who were going and had three kids. They saved $600 on their trip.

I price things out separately if a package looks like it may be worthwhile and make a decision. So far no packages for us. UT for tickets, Disney AAA for rooms and OOP for meals.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Start with a good guidebook like the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I find that's the best place to start if you're a "newbie" and feeling overwhelmed. The UG is a great book!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
tcp0421
DIS Veteran

Do lots of homework! I now live about an hour from Disney, we used to live in Pennsylvania. As soon as we set a date I would go get 1 or 2 guide books. Highlighting everything that was of interstate to my family. Also came on here to see if any deals were going on during our stay. I had so much fun planning. If you are doing any meals while there after I read all about them I would go ahead and make reservations as soon as possible. I miss planning everything now.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
Kevin1281
Earning My Ears

I am overwhelmed myself. I am certainly going to look into some of the suggestions in this thread. Thanks guys.
Kevin1281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: