Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #571
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

Snakes are pretty common in the southeast. Where my boyfriend works a copperhead has been seen in their office building.
Just be careful and the only two poisonous ones in the area would be copperheads and water moccasins.

Any other snake is usually a rat snake and usually will be more scared of you!

http://snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/copperh.htm
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #572
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
Snakes are pretty common in the southeast. Where my boyfriend works a copperhead has been seen in their office building.
Just be careful and the only two poisonous ones in the area would be copperheads and water moccasins.

Any other snake is usually a rat snake and usually will be more scared of you!

http://snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/copperh.htm
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm
ummmm...the Eastern Diamondback is very poisonous and is all over Florida
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #573
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Snakes in FL

Information is power...There are actually 6 venomous snakes in FL. 3 rattlesnakes (timber, eastern diamond, pygmy) coral snake, cottonmouth/water moccassin and copperhead. The copperhead is rarely seen in Orlando. Snakes as a rule NEVER WANT to bite anybody. They feel vibrations of foot traffic and would prefer to scurry away. If you watch where you put your feet in wooded hikes, etc and treat snakes respectfully without harassment your odds of an aggressive encounter are slim to none. Accidents happen, but seriously, in the US there are only about 3 snake bite deaths yearly & about only 1 per year in FL and that is often in more wildlife areas or where snakes have baracaded themselves in sheds, etc. There's so much commotion going on at the resorts, snakes WANT to get away. If you see one, stay clear. Likely, you will see mostly nonvenomous for the mere fact there are 38 species of them in FL and only 6 species of venomous ones. My Nephew is a wildlife guy (actually friends with Swamp Brothers) and he says that most bites are from people who think they can catch a snake. Some bites aren't, but some are just from people NOT being careful.

All of that said, don't fret, don't be dissuaded. The likelihood is so small. You're most likely to be bitten by a mosquito or, worse, run over by a stroller!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #574
melissarose
Mouseketeer

well great. i am now terrified!! i never even thought of that! i am staying at POR and there are PLENTY of areas that i bet snakes LOVE to hang out in! and i am an animal lover and environmental geek and i know that they reside in the area and need space and to be left alone and whatnot, but i am scared of them and i don't want one showing up in my room, slithering into my bed and biting me! lol
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #575
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
Information is power...There are actually 6 venomous snakes in FL. 3 rattlesnakes (timber, eastern diamond, pygmy) coral snake, cottonmouth/water moccassin and copperhead. The copperhead is rarely seen in Orlando. Snakes as a rule NEVER WANT to bite anybody. They feel vibrations of foot traffic and would prefer to scurry away. If you watch where you put your feet in wooded hikes, etc and treat snakes respectfully without harassment your odds of an aggressive encounter are slim to none. Accidents happen, but seriously, in the US there are only about 3 snake bite deaths yearly & about only 1 per year in FL and that is often in more wildlife areas or where snakes have baracaded themselves in sheds, etc. There's so much commotion going on at the resorts, snakes WANT to get away. If you see one, stay clear. Likely, you will see mostly nonvenomous for the mere fact there are 38 species of them in FL and only 6 species of venomous ones. My Nephew is a wildlife guy (actually friends with Swamp Brothers) and he says that most bites are from people who think they can catch a snake. Some bites aren't, but some are just from people NOT being careful.

All of that said, don't fret, don't be dissuaded. The likelihood is so small. You're most likely to be bitten by a mosquito or, worse, run over by a stroller!
although, after reading this i feel a bit better.
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #576
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Oh.my.goodness. I knew about FL being gator territory but never would have thought about snakes in rooms or at the parks. YIKES is not a strong enough word! I HATE snakes in general, but the venomous kind are obviously far worse than any other. As other posters asked but I didn't see an answer for, what do you do if someone gets bitten? Would it be worthwhile to carry a snake bite kit? Do you just call 911? How lethal is the venom of the various dangerous snakes in FL?

I'm shocked that there have been sightings in any parks. If they're not aggressive, why on earth would they want to be near so much foot traffic? And with all the turnover in rooms, how do snakes get in without anyone seeing? (esp. long enough to have a nest!) The last thing I want to be worrying about at Disney is snakes!!!

Are they less common at certain times of the year (like Feb I hope!!!)?

Sooooo sorry I opened this thread.
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #577
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
Oh.my.goodness. I knew about FL being gator territory but never would have thought about snakes in rooms or at the parks. YIKES is not a strong enough word! I HATE snakes in general, but the venomous kind are obviously far worse than any other. As other posters asked but I didn't see an answer for, what do you do if someone gets bitten? Would it be worthwhile to carry a snake bite kit? Do you just call 911? How lethal is the venom of the various dangerous snakes in FL?

I'm shocked that there have been sightings in any parks. If they're not aggressive, why on earth would they want to be near so much foot traffic? And with all the turnover in rooms, how do snakes get in without anyone seeing? (esp. long enough to have a nest!) The last thing I want to be worrying about at Disney is snakes!!!

Are they less common at certain times of the year (like Feb I hope!!!)?

Sooooo sorry I opened this thread.
In Florida snakes are pretty much around year round. In a room very unlikely, thought it could happen. However they are in the shrubs and such so stay on the walkways, don't cut cross lawns and such and stay out of the shrubs. I would stay away from pond and lake edges due to gators and snakes.

As to what to do, immediately call 911, I would not recommend a snake kit as that at times can make it worse.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #578
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

I hate to say it, but a bit of Disney magic has just slithered away for me. (pun intended) I guess one could argue that at least I'm more aware now, but still, I'm sooo sorry I read all this. I'm completely freaked out.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #579
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Being a numbers person, I went in search of some useful statistics to help me put this in perspective and mitigate the fear. In the U.S., there are about 8,000 venomous snake bites reported annually. TX and FL do seem to have the largest populations of snakes and probably the most snakebites. As of mid-July, FL reported 330 venomous snake bites. I believe I read that 40% of all annual snake bites are caused by people trying to catch or kill a snake. With WDW hosting over 30 million guests annually, odds of being bitten truly are very low. Additionally, there are only about 12 deaths annually from snake bites in the U.S. Again, odds are way low. Spider bites account for more deaths than snakes. The venom that snakes inject is voluntary, which means they don't always do it, and the amount of venom injected can also differ. Some snakes do inject more in self-defense than for killing prey, but snakes in general do not go after humans. That's good news! The bad news is that snake bites are always more dangerous for children than adults. And no matter the bite, call 911 immediately. I think I'd also snap a quick pic of the snake if safely possible, to help doctors identify the type of venom. Don't know about you, but the statistics do help me feel at least a little better. (not that it amounts to a hill of beans if you do wind up with a snake in your room )
1/31-2/9/14
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #580
kydisfan
Mouseketeer

We just returned from POR and found a baby Black Racer right inside our door. He was about as big around as a pencil and about 10 inches long. The door opening I guess killed it. My wife and I were getting ready to pack the car up to leave and my daughter said "hey check this out."
The gentleman from the plant department came and got him and said it was pretty common to see black racers.
kydisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #581
Sparrow624
"I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

'll see if I can find the pictures, but back in 2011 DW and I stayed at one of the GF outer building rooms overlooking the lake. Got some great pictures of an aligator swimming by and what I believe was a water moccasin swiming along the rocks on the shoreline.

It is Florida and snakes are everywherejust expect it.

Heck, we have rattle snakes on the campus of the high school I work at in North Carolina. Someone comes and gets one every other month or so.

2003 - Off Site - 2 nights 3 days
2006 - Grand Floridian 8 nights 9 days (Honeymoon)
2009 - Boardwalk - 3 nights 4 days
2011 - Grand Floridian - 7 nights 8 days (5 year Anniversary)
Sparrow624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #582
mtfarlin
Mouseketeer

About 3 yrs ago I was at Disney's Winter Summerland miniture golf and a large black snake slithered across the path in front of me and into the bushes. Well from that time on everytime I went to get my ball out of the cup, I looked into the hole to make sure my golf ball was the only thing in there First and only time I have only seen a snake in the Parks....
mtfarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #583
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

As for the gators, one was spotted last spring/summer-ish in the retaining pond outside the Beach Club Villas. After he was caught the gator was interviewed and stated that he was staying at BCV on points and that snakes were the only thing on his Disney Dining plan.

The way I look at it, the two, Snakes and gators, cancel each other out, so now all we have to worry about is the Love Bugs....

~NM
Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #584
twotoohappy
Lovin' Pete!
I'll be the one in the evil scar shirt... he he he
Don't bother clapping, it gives the TF a headache ;-)

We've seen water moccasins (wide flat head) several times at BCV. We just call the front desk and they come and get it. At VWL, I told my dd that I was surprised that Disney would leave a hose in the middle of the walkway. Yup, it was a huge black racer!
twotoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #585
Tinker17
Earning My Ears

OMG, I should NOT have opened this thread.....at Disney in 2 days....CBR.
Tinker17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: