Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #3616
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay View Post
Cruises?? Card games??? I THINK NOT!!! First LOVE bugs now SEAgulls. The SECRET LIFE of Teena the Beach Club Greeter!

You saw it here first folks!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #3617
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post

That's five cheers from our family for Newport Beach!!!! So excited for you and so happy it all came together! No better combination than Newport Beach and BC back-to-back. (Hey wait! We did that in 2010, but it was BC in July and Newport in August.) Yay!!
Thanks for all your help. I'll probably have loads of questions for you when it gets closer.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #3618
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
The possibilities for this charade are endless. If it were me, I'd be making up a fake itinerary with plans for visits to such exciting places as "The Nursing Home museum" and the "Liverwurst Factory tour" . I'd really talk it up too and get really excited about how they offer free samples at the Liverwurst factory. Really work that itinerary so they think you've lost your mind.

Perhaps you and your husband can "argue" about which would be "more educational" for the kids, the "Make your own stuffed manatee at the mall store" or the "Learn how to milk a poisonous snake experience"

If it were me I'd be all over this one.... jus sayin....

~NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
Super excited!!!

And more good news. Thanks to one of our Disers here, we just rented a house in Newport Beach, CA for Lily's 2nd birthday ... for a week (July 8th we arrive). Then towards the end of July and the the first two weeks of August, Jeanne and Lily will be here in Florida with us and we will be staying at the Beach Club for 4-5 nights or maybe longer. Lily has to go back to Stormalong Bay!
This all sounds brilliant Teena. You will have a blast
Quote:
Sure hope so or the seagulls will be attacking me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

You may think that is me worshiping, but it is me doing awkward sit-ups.

So is the Solarium back to its original glory?

I like your style Dee
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #3619
em36
Mouseketeer

I need a little advice. I reserved a vacation package that included 7 day park hoppers, garden view club level at the YC, and quick service dining. In the past, we have gotten the regular dining plan but I felt tied down to reservations when we, at times, were not really hungry. We stayed cl last May and often either enjoyed the club lounge and were not hungry for a large meal, or we skipped the lounge because we knew we had an ADR in a few hours.

Anyway, my thoughts are that we will keep the quick service dining plan and maybe schedule one or two table service meals during the week. When my daughters were younger, they loved the character meals. I noticed in May that they were more interested in eating and getting back to the rides, parades, fireworks, etc than they were in character interaction. I know that there are lots of quick service options in Epcot that include more than burgers and fries.

If anyone has any experience or insight on the quick service plan, I would love to hear your opinions. We will be at DW in June, so there is plenty of time to change to a different plan. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #3620
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by em36 View Post
I need a little advice. I reserved a vacation package that included 7 day park hoppers, garden view club level at the YC, and quick service dining. In the past, we have gotten the regular dining plan but I felt tied down to reservations when we, at times, were not really hungry. We stayed cl last May and often either enjoyed the club lounge and were not hungry for a large meal, or we skipped the lounge because we knew we had an ADR in a few hours.

Anyway, my thoughts are that we will keep the quick service dining plan and maybe schedule one or two table service meals during the week. When my daughters were younger, they loved the character meals. I noticed in May that they were more interested in eating and getting back to the rides, parades, fireworks, etc than they were in character interaction. I know that there are lots of quick service options in Epcot that include more than burgers and fries.

If anyone has any experience or insight on the quick service plan, I would love to hear your opinions. We will be at DW in June, so there is plenty of time to change to a different plan. Thanks!
How old are your daughters? Would your quick service meals be during non-peak hours so that you can avoid crowds? Are you OK with that much quick service? Just a few questions to consider because we find that CL and non-character ADRs mix well for our family.

Our boys are ages 5, 12 and 13, and we are now down to one character meal per trip. But we make lots of non-character ADRs because we all love Disney dining and we like to avoid standing in line, the rapid-fire ordering process, searching for a table and juggling trays when we eat. TS is so much more relaxing and the perfect kind of downtime for all of us. It doesn't have to be a big meal, especially if we've been in the club lounge before dinner. We've done the dining plan in the past, and felt like it was the inflexibility of the plan that tied us down, not the actual ADRs. Without the dining plan, we have complete flexibility in what we order - appetizers or soup and salad instead of entrees if some of us are not that hungry, for example. We can eat as light as if we were at a quick service location, but get the calm atmosphere of a non-character TS restaurant.

If the kids want to get back to the rides/shows/etc., we can usually be in and out of a restaurant in an hour or less, if we want that. If we know what we want and don't order multiple courses, it's pretty quick. (Although we now stay longer by choice for dinner, now that they boys are older.)

So many great non-character restaurants in and around Epcot - Via Napoli, Chef's, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, Bluezoo, Il Mulino, Yachtsman, Flying Fish, etc. Just a thought if your daughters are getting older and might enjoy that as family downtime!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #3621
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay View Post
Cruises?? Card games??? I THINK NOT!!! First LOVE bugs now SEAgulls. The SECRET LIFE of Teena the Beach Club Greeter!

You saw it here first folks!

Quote:
Ship shape is now open!
This is very good news. I trucked on over to the Boardwalk gym on our last trip

In other news My DH won a important contest at work that will save the company big $$$$ and time. He was rewarded with a sizeable Disney gift card After much discussion we booked our first Disney cruise. A 5 day Caribbean cruise in Feb because we found a great rate for this cruise We were able to apply the gift card to the booking and now our out of pocket expense was cut by over 1/3
I am nervous and excited. I have never cruised before

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #3622
em36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom

How old are your daughters? Would your quick service meals be during non-peak hours so that you can avoid crowds? Are you OK with that much quick service? Just a few questions to consider because we find that CL and non-character ADRs mix well for our family.

Our boys are ages 5, 12 and 13, and we are now down to one character meal per trip. But we make lots of non-character ADRs because we all love Disney dining and we like to avoid standing in line, the rapid-fire ordering process, searching for a table and juggling trays when we eat. TS is so much more relaxing and the perfect kind of downtime for all of us. It doesn't have to be a big meal, especially if we've been in the club lounge before dinner. We've done the dining plan in the past, and felt like it was the inflexibility of the plan that tied us down, not the actual ADRs. Without the dining plan, we have complete flexibility in what we order - appetizers or soup and salad instead of entrees if some of us are not that hungry, for example. We can eat as light as if we were at a quick service location, but get the calm atmosphere of a non-character TS restaurant.

If the kids want to get back to the rides/shows/etc., we can usually be in and out of a restaurant in an hour or less, if we want that. If we know what we want and don't order multiple courses, it's pretty quick. (Although we now stay longer by choice for dinner, now that they boys are older.)

So many great non-character restaurants in and around Epcot - Via Napoli, Chef's, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, Bluezoo, Il Mulino, Yachtsman, Flying Fish, etc. Just a thought if your daughters are getting older and might enjoy that as family downtime!
Thanks for your reply. My daughters will be 14 and 9 when we go and we do enjoy the ease of table service dining. I will definitely have to do some thinking about dining. We are not park commandos. We generally make rope drop, come back to the resort in the early afternoon for a swim, and then do a different park in the evening. It might be nice to have some lunch ADR's and then take a swim break. This would leave the "cooler" evenings open for rides, parades, fireworks, etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #3623
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post

This is very good news. I trucked on over to the Boardwalk gym on our last trip

In other news My DH won a important contest at work that will save the company big $$$$ and time. He was rewarded with a sizeable Disney gift card After much discussion we booked our first Disney cruise. A 5 day Caribbean cruise in Feb because we found a great rate for this cruise We were able to apply the gift card to the booking and now our out of pocket expense was cut by over 1/3
Couchy, congrats on the giftcard! Won't be long until you're enjoying an amazing Caribbean cruise!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #3624
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are not park commandos. We generally make rope drop, come back to the resort in the early afternoon for a swim, and then do a different park in the evening. It might be nice to have some lunch ADR's and then take a swim break. This would leave the "cooler" evenings open for rides, parades, fireworks, etc.
This is exactly what we're doing now! Used to be more commando with just two kids and when we visited less frequently. But now with three kids and more frequent visits, it's become very similar to what you described - rope drop, lunch ADR, resort for swim, club lounge for a snack, dinner and usually Epcot if we return to a park after dinner!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #3625
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Not a fan of the quick service plan. It pretty much forces you to get a dessert with every meal and for us, we wouldn't order a dessert normally. So if you do the math and ordered only what you really wanted, you would end up saving money by paying for what you want and not eating desserts at every meal.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #3626
em36
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS

Not a fan of the quick service plan. It pretty much forces you to get a dessert with every meal and for us, we wouldn't order a dessert normally. So if you do the math and ordered only what you really wanted, you would end up saving money by paying for what you want and not eating desserts at every meal.
Thank you. We do not normally eat dessert at every meal, especially in the heat of Orlando in June. I think I will probably change our package. I appreciate all of the help and tips that I have gotten. This is the best thread.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3627
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is fantastic!!! Congrats to your DH and for you!!!

What are your ports of call?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #3628
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you have any cruise questions, I know Disney cruises inside and out and would be happy to answer any of your questions.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #3629
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Congrats, Couchy! Hope you love DCL as much as we do!!! I'm missing the Wonder so much that I haven't been able to return to the cruise boards since I said my "thank yous" for fish extender gifts and posted a review of our most wonderful August vacation. Still watching to see where the Wonder will go next . . .

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3630
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

When do they remove the Holiday decorations at Beach Club? We will be staying there Jan 2-10 and would love to see it both decorated and regular look.

Also, is it possible to just boil water in those new coffee machines? If not, where could I boil water? I have a baby and I feed her formula.

Last edited by ronnmel; 11-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: