Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #331
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness01 View Post
My son is at a top tier school, and they did not ask for full disclosure. He is a freshman. I sent two ACT scores from his junior year.
I was very surprised to learn how many schools required full disclosure when my DD was applying back in August. I remember reading on so many sites how you could pick the scores you wanted to send, but that wasn't always the case.

My DD only took the ACT twice and her second score was great. However, her first score was not so great. She took it cold, without any studying at all. I thought it would help her with her test anxiety to get a feel for it that first time without any pressure. It worked and she has yet to get a rejection letter, but I may have rethought that strategy had I known she would be forced to report that first score.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #332
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Update to my second guessing:

My DD should hear, one way or the other, from her ED school sometime around December 15. We have decided to put any additional applications on hold until she knows the decision. If she is deferred to regular or denied then she will go forward with one or two further applications. The two schools will be UArts and/or Marymount Manhattan. Both have rolling admissions, so we are okay with waiting. I know it may be risky, but she and I are both comfortable with it. I am still concerned about the amount of core at MMC, but I've looked at the requirements carefully and think, with a little effort, she can handle it. Obviously, we are just hoping and praying that her ED is a yes and all of this will be complete.

I also know that my second guessing is because of the visit over the past weekend. We had such high hopes, and it just fell flat. That got me thinking of all the possible negative outcomes. It is truly a roller coaster ride, isn't it?
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #333
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

DS got his first acceptance letter yesterday! Yay!!
Now he just has to finish up the rest of his apps so he has some choices

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #334
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2travel View Post
DS got his first acceptance letter yesterday! Yay!!
Now he just has to finish up the rest of his apps so he has some choices
Congrats!! It's a great feeling, isn't it?? (does he have a Dec deadline for the other apps? Just curious. Most of my DS's were Dec deadlines, and I really had to clamp down on him to get them done and sent in!)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #335
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA

Congrats!! It's a great feeling, isn't it?? (does he have a Dec deadline for the other apps? Just curious. Most of my DS's were Dec deadlines, and I really had to clamp down on him to get them done and sent in!)
Thanks! Yes, it is a great feeling to know something :-)
And yes, Dec 1 deadline for the rest. He's really close to done on 2 of the 3 left, and asked if I could help him later (i.e., pay). The last one he'll probably finish up tomorrow as it has a longer written part that he's been thinking about, but hasn't written anything down

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #336
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Congrats to all those first acceptances. I tell my students that at least someone wants you.

I am celebrating this weekend in that I finished what I think is my last letter of recommendation on Tuesday This was a light year I only had to do 14. Last year by the end of the year I had done 30.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #337
MerMom60_94
DIS Veteran

How exciting to read about all these first acceptances. Congratulations to you all!

DD finally submitted her common app. about a week or so ago. So, she has now applied to five schools. The sixth school needs a separate essay and it is her last choice of all the ones she was planning on applying to so I think she is waiting to see what happens with these early applications before she decides whether to apply there or not. She has time, so that is fine with me. Her report card for the first semester came in the mail yesterday and she made honor roll so she should have some good transcripts. Quinnipiac had sent some emails saying if she applied prior to December 1st they would give her early consideration for acceptance and scholarships, so I am hoping they will respond fairly quickly once the transcript is received. Now we are just waiting......
MerMom60_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #338
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My DS finally submitted two of his applications last night (he's done two already). These are definitely reach schools for him so not holding out much hope but these applications required the most work. They both used the Common Application (what a pain that thing was for him--it's too bad more schools don't use it because then it wouldn't be so bad). The two schools required supplements so, besides, the common app essay, he had to write two more for one school and an additional essay for the other school.

I think he's exhausted!! Of couse it didn't help that he's had to work all four days of the Thanksgiving Break. Holidays are busy when you work at a dog resort!!! They had 130 dogs this weekend!

Anyway, two more applications for him to do, although these almost done. He's just getting down the finer details of those essays.

Then, this coming Saturday is the SAT Subject Tests: Math and Literature.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #339
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Congratulations to all the new acceptances!! We are on a lull here as any new acceptances won't come in until after auditions/interviews. The next one is December 15. It's for Point Park in Pittsburgh, but they are coming to Atlanta, so no travel on that one!

We have some exciting news, though. I'm sure you all remember my rants about evil director man and that my DD is scheduled to be in two classes with him second semester. Since we are on block scheduling, that meant HALF her day would be with him. On the suggestion of several people here, my D contacted the Artistic Director at her "new" theatre group about the possibility of doing an "internship." Our system has Work Based Learning for juniors and seniors, so this would fall in that category. The director was thrilled at the prospect. (Who wouldn't want free help in a theatre?) Tomorrow we will start the process of applying for the WBL and internship. Keep your fingers crossed that all this works out and she will be totally FINISHED with the school drama!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #340
ugadog99

Oh my goodness, I think I'm about to burst into tears or get sick right here in my classroom. I went on to the CMU site to check my D's application status. Yesterday everything was just as it has always been, but today I get a message: Error Retrieving Applicant Data. Contact Admissions Office for more information. I have a horrible feeling this is not good news. We were supposed to hear from them by December 15, but now..... My DD and I both knew this would be a huge, huge stretch for her, but she is going to be devastated. I've got to figure out how to console her if it's bad news. Sigh....the ups and downs of senior year....
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #341
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Don't panic, it may just be a minor glitch. My DD had one over Thanksgiving--she applied early to Loyola, got all her stuff in...and got an e-mail from them, saying her guidance counselor recommendation was missing! DD e-mailed the GC right away, GC called Loyola yesterday. It turns out, the GC's rec. was on the common app., but DD had sent a separate, regular app. to Loyola, and they coudln't access the recommendation because it was attached to the common app. GC faxed it right out to them.

I told DD, I didn't think they'd hold that against her--the stuff she needed to send, all got there, and she and the GC responded swiftly to fix the problem.

Here's hoping your issue is something similar.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #342
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

My DD got her first acceptance! We're all so excited! Well, except DS6--he "gets" that college means his sister is going away, and he doesn't like it. She got into College of Saint Rose, which is a small teaching college in Albany, NY, and is her safety school. She'd just sent in her stuff last week, and got an e-mail from the admissions counselor saying that stuff was missing. She sent an e-mail back, clarifying (they said she needed to send her SATs, which she did last week, and also another teacher recommendation, aothough she'd sent two, etc.). The admissions counselor checked into it, and wrote back saying okay, they had everything, and by the way, she's accepted! So, she's really happy.

We have 4 other "early" choices, but one of her biggies is a regular decision, so we've still got a long slog to go. But, it's a good day in our house today.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #343
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom
My DD got her first acceptance! We're all so excited! Well, except DS6--he "gets" that college means his sister is going away, and he doesn't like it. She got into College of Saint Rose, which is a small teaching college in Albany, NY, and is her safety school. She'd just sent in her stuff last week, and got an e-mail from the admissions counselor saying that stuff was missing. She sent an e-mail back, clarifying (they said she needed to send her SATs, which she did last week, and also another teacher recommendation, aothough she'd sent two, etc.). The admissions counselor checked into it, and wrote back saying okay, they had everything, and by the way, she's accepted! So, she's really happy.

We have 4 other "early" choices, but one of her biggies is a regular decision, so we've still got a long slog to go. But, it's a good day in our house today.
Congrats!!! Isn't it a great feeling?!? :-)

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #344
ugadog99

Congrats, BuzznBelle's mom! I just love that acceptance feeling!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #345
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Can I Just Say I Love Rolling Admissions?

My son got his first acceptance yesterday. He got into the engineering program at West Virginia University. Not a shock. This was an out-of-state safety school for him. His sister goes there and loves it. This is not his first choice but probably his #3 choice.

But man, I do love rolling admission. Send in your app, give a a few weeks, and it's over. We sent this in on November 1st, along with an app to another college for early admission. We won't hear from that one until December 17.

It's just so nice and tidy with the rolling admission.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: