Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibelle View Post
I finally finished Deathly Hallows. I also read the Stieg Larsson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Hunger Games Trilogy. My next series will be Twilight!
Those will be next on my list
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

For some light, fluff reading: Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

I just finished the George RR Martin's Storm of Swords, I kind of want to jump into Feast of Crows but I am going to take a little break and jump into some lighter novels.

Going to the library today and I am going to pick up Adriana Trigiani's Shoemaker's Wife. I totally recommend this writer but I am a little annoyed with how long it is taking her to write the Brava series. I am also going to get Amanda Quick's Mischief for old times sake. I also want to read James Patterson's Sunday at Tiffany's.

For the Holidays I really got lucky and found some free Kindle books about the season and I am going to re-read O' Little Town. It was a free read last year and I really like it!
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Harry Potter
Sigh. I feel like the last in America who hasn't read through this series yet (or seen the movies). They ARE on my list for this winter. Hopefully, I will have the time to get to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
"Our Husband" was recommended on the last thread and I enjoyed it very much! It was a humorous, quick, fluff book.
I'll need a quick read after finishing Outlander #5 (1400 pages). I'm going to look into this one.

EDIT: OK, I just looked this book up on Goodreads. Is it the one by Dean Koontz?? I don't consider him humorous or quick fluff, lol, so I'm thinking I'm pulling up the wrong one?

EDIT AGAIN: I read the summary on the one by Dean Koontz. I added it to my list even if it's not the one you were recommending. Looks intriguing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I read Killing Lincoln and it was fantastic. Getting ready to start Killing Kennedy.
I just remembered my mom highly recommended this book a year ago and I forgot to add to my list. Adding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npealer View Post
The Outlander series is one of my Faves! Read the series "almost twice" LOL, The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get thru, got stuck on it second time around
I am SO glad you said that! I am struggling with this one. I thought maybe it was because it's been over a year since #4. It's just not grabbing me the way the others did. I find myself skimming a lot because I want to get through it (I have SO many other great books waiting on the sidelines, lol), but I just don't want to quit either since the rest of this series has been so fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
The Book Thief is on my to read list as well as The Kitchen House. I read Life of Pi years ago.
LOVED Life of Pi. Comes out in theatres today!!! Hoping to see the movie this weekend.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Currently reading: #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Last edited by threeboysmom; 11-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!! View Post
I was looking for a new read when I came across this book on Amazon. It has such incredible reviews that I think I will give it a try:

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

http://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-of-Ne...mm_kin_title_0
Wow! GREAT reviews on this book over at Goodreads too (I manage my book lists on that site - fantastic if you are not familiar with it).

Thanks for the recommendation! This is definitely being moved to the top of my list!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You

Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #21
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I have not read any of the Harry Potter books or Twilight books. Doubt I ever will. I did just see the other day for the first time the first Harry Potter movie. Can't say I was all that impressed. Oh well, I tried at least.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf
I have not read any of the Harry Potter books or Twilight books. Doubt I ever will. I did just see the other day for the first time the first Harry Potter movie. Can't say I was all that impressed. Oh well, I tried at least.
I don't like the movies but I do love the books.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

It's Thanksgiving tomorrow, which means Friday I will start my tradition of reading "A Christmas Carol" again. I've read it every year for 5 or 6 years now.

After that, I'm not sure. Probably something from C. S. Lewis (Screwtape Letters or Mere Christianity). I've been thinking of picking up a copy of The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.

I don't read long books because I read slowly and get frustrated or bored easily, unless it's an easy read (the Harry Potter series, for example). I've tried reading A Game of Thrones and gave up about a quarter into the book.

I've also considered 11/22/63, but again, there's that thing about it being long...

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

I also just read the final book in Nora Robert's newest trilogy, the Inn Boonsboro series, A Perfect Hope.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this one..I just ordered the trilogy off amazon!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I've just started 'Aftermath' by Peter Robinson. It's a British mystery and so far I'm enjoying it. This is the first of his books that I've read and I think I've found another author to add to my list.

Tomorrow, my sister is bringing me 'Speaks the Nightbird' by Robert McCammon. It's about witchcraft in the 1700s and is the first in a series. The subsequent books don't have to do with witchcraft, but they are all historical thrillers that feature the same main character, whom I believe is a lawyer. British mysteries and historical thrillers are my 2 favorite genres so it looks like I'll have plenty of good reads to look forward to this holiday season and through the winter.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
It's Thanksgiving tomorrow, which means Friday I will start my tradition of reading "A Christmas Carol" again. I've read it every year for 5 or 6 years now.

After that, I'm not sure. Probably something from C. S. Lewis (Screwtape Letters or Mere Christianity). I've been thinking of picking up a copy of The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.

I don't read long books because I read slowly and get frustrated or bored easily, unless it's an easy read (the Harry Potter series, for example). I've tried reading A Game of Thrones and gave up about a quarter into the book.

I've also considered 11/22/63, but again, there's that thing about it being long...
11/22/63 FLIES by! It doesn't seem like it is as long as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I don't like the movies but I do love the books.
Same here. I actually watched the movies first and was meh...then a few months ago I started reading the books. They are so much better than the movies. The movies are quite disappointing now.

I'm on the last 120 pages of It by Stephen King then I'm going to read Life of Pi and the final two HP books. I might mix in some holiday fluff before Christmas too. Or I might just wait until after the holidays to finish HP.

Too many books, too little time!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
11/22/63 FLIES by! It doesn't seem like it is as long as it is.
Great book! I highly recommend it. Don't let the length scare you off.

Quote:
Same here. I actually watched the movies first and was meh...then a few months ago I started reading the books. They are so much better than the movies. The movies are quite disappointing now.
Maybe I'll check out a book then.

Quote:
I'm on the last 120 pages of It by Stephen King then I'm going to read Life of Pi and the final two HP books. I might mix in some holiday fluff before Christmas too. Or I might just wait until after the holidays to finish HP.

I recently decided to go back an reread Stephen King books. I have The Stand, but got sidetracked with Killing Lincoln.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I've been thinking of picking up a copy of The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat.
The title of that book is cracking me up!!! I may have to look into that one just because of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY!

No matter how fast I read, my "to read" list keeps getting longer rather than shorter, lol.

But it sure would be one depressing life if I ever ran out of good books to read.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

"Let's Pretend this Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson.

Read this book if you want to laugh out loud!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

I continue to slog thru the Game of Thrones series. I like the books but wish they moved a little faster and that I could keep all the characters straight. Currently I am about halfway through A Storm of Swords (book 3)

I am another person who has never read the Harry Potter series. I tried the first book but I did not enjoy the writing style.

Same thing with the Outlander series. I got through about 100 pages of book one but kept rolling my eyes at some of the scenes. I still have it on my kindle so might try it again sometime.

I also disliked the Twilight and True Blood books - read book 1 of each and stopped.

After Storm of Swords I plan to take a break from the series. I have two of Jonathan Franzen's books up next: The Corrections and Freedom. I picked them up for a dollar at a yard sale. I also have Sarah's Key in the queue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: