Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
loinsley
Can we RETIRE here!?!?!?!

Online resort check in?? Yes or no?

Should I check on line for this coming weekend, or have you found better success just checking in at the resort??
loinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Not sure what exactly you mean by success.

If you mean success in getting your requests granted, how you check in has no bearing on whether or not you get your requests. BUT, if you didn't get your requests granted it is a bit easier to remedy that if you are at the normal check-in window.

If by success you mean getting your packet quickly, we have found great success with that doing online check-in for our last 3 visits.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

We have always taken a flight that gets us to WDW earlier than the official check in time and each time that we did on-line check-in we have always had a room ready for us when we arrived at our resort.

I don't know if we were just lucky, or if by doing the on-line check-in typically gives you priority over those that do not utilize it.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
loinsley
Can we RETIRE here!?!?!?!

By success I guess I meant......QUICKER! :-). Thanks for asking dansdad.
loinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loinsley
If you do not have requests and you want to just pick up your packet, by all means do it.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

You know, for about 10 trips in a row, I found that using online check in wasn't any faster. In fact, a couple of times, it was slower, as the person had trouble hunting down our packet. So I used to rant & rave about the myth of online check in. Then, during our stay at BWV a couple of months ago, a CM met us as we were getting off ME. He asked our name and took off like a bullet. By the time we reached the building he was back with our packet. Honest to God, about 20 seconds. He checked my ID and sent me on my way. So I guess for us, about 10% of the time it's been faster..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loinsley View Post
One thing I DON'T think doing on-line check-in does; is get you through the line faster. When we have done the on-line check-in I have seen people at the other counter move faster than we were. On our last trip to POR we only had one person behind the counter helping the on-line check-in people.

We were the the only people on line and the person checking in had a be-zillion questions hold US up.

Finally someone from the other counter came to the on-line check-in, helped us and got us out before the person with a be-zillion questions was finished.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Our experiences with online check-in over the last 3 years have been good. Every time we got our requests that were on our reservation, and we didn't have to wait in a line.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

We have done Online Checkin the last 4 trips.Since we have no special request it works for us. On 2 trips the room was ready when we got to POFQ.On one trip it was ready within an hour (we have gotten to the resort no later than noon on either a Friday or Saturday on all of our trips).
This year it wasn't ready and when we got back to POFQ around 2:30 it still wasn't ready when we checked at the desk. However we went to the foodcourt to get our mugs & we got the text we had a room within 5 mins of stopping at the desk .I think the delay this time was due to the resort being fully booked, their forgetting to send the text & not the Online Check-in.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
markay714
Earning My Ears

I have a bad knee and had requested somewhere close to the bus. We checked in online with that note on our All Star Sports and they could not have possibly put us any further away. It was obvious not a good room situation for us but they wouldn't change it at check in. If I thought it mattered I've never checked in online again. If you don't have some reason to try to check in with human communication I'd definitely check in online. It is faster.
markay714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
markay714
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
You know, for about 10 trips in a row, I found that using online check in wasn't any faster. In fact, a couple of times, it was slower, as the person had trouble hunting down our packet. So I used to rant & rave about the myth of online check in. Then, during our stay at BWV a couple of months ago, a CM met us as we were getting off ME. He asked our name and took off like a bullet. By the time we reached the building he was back with our packet. Honest to God, about 20 seconds. He checked my ID and sent me on my way. So I guess for us, about 10% of the time it's been faster..
This FAST walk in the door getting your stuff was our experience at the Beach Club last fall. That was pretty amazing!
markay714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: