Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Night Owl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57

Can I still add flights?

I have a KSF deal on hold until tomorrow. When I placed the hold I turned down flight options through Disney, as I thought we would drive, however after looking up flight prices and the distance to TX from MI, it would be about the same to fly (providing Disney offers the same prices for airline travel, that I've found).

When I go to pay for the hold, will I have the option (again) to add flight arrangements?
Thanks!
Cheryl
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,686

Since you've done your homework and know what airfare would cost if you booked it yourself, I wouldn't book through Disney unless it's cheaper.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Namsupak
DIS Veteran
 
Namsupak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,879

For whatever reason disney tends to be higher priced, likely they choose a different fare class. Also you will have less options with disney air, they will pick the flights for you generally.
__________________
Lauren
Married May 26, 2008 Epcot's Japan/Adventurer's Club/Living Seas Salon
DD Lorelei Born 2009, Jameson Born 2012

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

My experiences in doing air thru DCL have been a general disaster on domestic flights. They are always more costly than booking on our own + adding transfers. They pick flights that no sane person would. For instance, we had a direct flight to Orlando that departed at 8:30. But DCL wouldn't use that direct flight--they would book us on a connector thru Atlanta that departed at 6 or 7 (there were 2 of them) and arriving hours later than the direct flight.

The other thing is that I feel very strongly about flying in the day before if at all possible--even if that means a late flight after work/school. DCL will only do that if you stay at one of the hotels they choose at their price; even if I want to stay at the Hyatt MCO, I can usually book it cheaper on my own than thru Disney! And I can always choose other hotels cheaper.

The only good things about DCL air are that if you book your insurance thru Disney, it will cover the air also AND if their air arrangements don't get you to the port on time, they are responsible for getting you to the next port of call or whatever to salvage as much of your vacation as possible. Yes, they have held the ship for a SHORT time for someone who had a flight disaster, but there is no promise that this will happen.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Night Owl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57

Interesting, good info to know. I haven't been able to look at flights that Disney may offer, as I haven't paid yet.

So what it boils down to is, if I book the flight myself, I have more control over the flight options and costs, but I would have to handle all the luggage transfers as well as our ground transportation from the hotel to the dock?

I definately plan to fly in the day before, no way I am going to trust airlines to get us to TX on sail date! Too many chances something could go wrong and we miss our boat, due to airline delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My experiences in doing air thru DCL have been a general disaster on domestic flights. They are always more costly than booking on our own + adding transfers. They pick flights that no sane person would. For instance, we had a direct flight to Orlando that departed at 8:30. But DCL wouldn't use that direct flight--they would book us on a connector thru Atlanta that departed at 6 or 7 (there were 2 of them) and arriving hours later than the direct flight.

The other thing is that I feel very strongly about flying in the day before if at all possible--even if that means a late flight after work/school. DCL will only do that if you stay at one of the hotels they choose at their price; even if I want to stay at the Hyatt MCO, I can usually book it cheaper on my own than thru Disney! And I can always choose other hotels cheaper.

The only good things about DCL air are that if you book your insurance thru Disney, it will cover the air also AND if their air arrangements don't get you to the port on time, they are responsible for getting you to the next port of call or whatever to salvage as much of your vacation as possible. Yes, they have held the ship for a SHORT time for someone who had a flight disaster, but there is no promise that this will happen.
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
Interesting, good info to know. I haven't been able to look at flights that Disney may offer, as I haven't paid yet.

So what it boils down to is, if I book the flight myself, I have more control over the flight options and costs, but I would have to handle all the luggage transfers as well as our ground transportation from the hotel to the dock?

I definately plan to fly in the day before, no way I am going to trust airlines to get us to TX on sail date! Too many chances something could go wrong and we miss our boat, due to airline delays.
No, not at all. You can purchase DCL transfers without purchasing their air package. At Port Canaveral, these are $35 per person each way, at Galveston they are $30 from the Houston airports. If you purchase transfers, you will get the same luggage and transportation services as if you had done DCL air.

Examples--PC, stay at Hyatt MCO, you will have to get your luggage TO the hotel the day before or pay the hotel's $10 fee for them to claim bags for you. But the next morning, your bags will be taken from your hotel room to the ship and you will check in at the Welcome Center and hop on the bus. If you stay at a hotel other than the Hyatt MCO, you will need to take your bags to your hotel and back to the welcome center in the morning to catch the transfer bus. Most of the hotels have complimentary shuttles to/from MCO.

I don't know exactly what the luggage arrangements are at Galveston. At most airports other than MCO, we have had to claim our own bags and take them to the Disney area--there are CMs around to direct us.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Night Owl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57

Thank you - with 3 kids in tow and first time cruisers, it would be a relief to not have to deal with luggage for 5 people. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
No, not at all. You can purchase DCL transfers without purchasing their air package. At Port Canaveral, these are $35 per person each way, at Galveston they are $30 from the Houston airports. If you purchase transfers, you will get the same luggage and transportation services as if you had done DCL air.

Examples--PC, stay at Hyatt MCO, you will have to get your luggage TO the hotel the day before or pay the hotel's $10 fee for them to claim bags for you. But the next morning, your bags will be taken from your hotel room to the ship and you will check in at the Welcome Center and hop on the bus. If you stay at a hotel other than the Hyatt MCO, you will need to take your bags to your hotel and back to the welcome center in the morning to catch the transfer bus. Most of the hotels have complimentary shuttles to/from MCO.

I don't know exactly what the luggage arrangements are at Galveston. At most airports other than MCO, we have had to claim our own bags and take them to the Disney area--there are CMs around to direct us.
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

OK, another thought. If your kids are each 3 or older, you'll pay for transfers for them. In most locations, it would be less costly to book a private limo/towncar service to take you to the cruise terminal. This does have the negative piece that you'd have to claim your luggage at baggage claim (but you'd have to do this no matter what with flying in the night before). The drier would then pick you up at the hotel of your choice, loading your baggage into the vehicle. He would then unload the luggage into the hands of the porters at the terminal and you'd next see it outside your cabin door on the ship.

Which port are you cruising from? This info would help to guide you as to how things will work on your cruise.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Night Owl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
OK, another thought. If your kids are each 3 or older, you'll pay for transfers for them. In most locations, it would be less costly to book a private limo/towncar service to take you to the cruise terminal. This does have the negative piece that you'd have to claim your luggage at baggage claim (but you'd have to do this no matter what with flying in the night before). The drier would then pick you up at the hotel of your choice, loading your baggage into the vehicle. He would then unload the luggage into the hands of the porters at the terminal and you'd next see it outside your cabin door on the ship.

Which port are you cruising from? This info would help to guide you as to how things will work on your cruise.
Galvinson, TX
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.