Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #31
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post

Uh oh, does that mean that there's going to be tons of construction and things closed during our cruise?
On our pre-drydock cruise, I don't recall anything being closed. There was just a great deal of prep work.

So at the beginning of the cruise, the public areas looked elegant as usual. But by the end of the cruise, some public areas (and elevator interiors) were covered in plywood. It reminded me of staying at a hotel that was undergoing partial renovations.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I hope there is no prep work going on in July. That will make me sad ( and a little mad )
They are pretty much always working on the ship. When I sailed in June, they were grinding above the lifeboates (run out the lifeboat, setup scaffolding, climb up and start grinding off every painted surface above your head) ALL DAY LONG every time we were in port (including embarkation day). Think metal jackhammer type vibrations which were impossible to drown out in my deck 8 cabin (3-4 decks up, depending how you count them). I did mention on my comment card that maybe in the future, they could alternate port and starboard to give folks a break!

So, they will be working and that work may or may not be noisy/disruptive. It might not have anything to do with the drydock. Might just be normal maintenance of a vessel continually exposed to the elements.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers

They are pretty much always working on the ship. When I sailed in June, they were grinding above the lifeboates (run out the lifeboat, setup scaffolding, climb up and start grinding off every painted surface above your head) ALL DAY LONG every time we were in port (including embarkation day). Think metal jackhammer type vibrations which were impossible to drown out in my deck 8 cabin (3-4 decks up, depending how you count them). I did mention on my comment card that maybe in the future, they could alternate port and starboard to give folks a break!

So, they will be working and that work may or may not be noisy/disruptive. It might not have anything to do with the drydock. Might just be normal maintenance of a vessel continually exposed to the elements.
Thanks! Yep, I expect normal, but I hope nothing is covered in plywood and carpets aren't ripped up
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
jnweinmann
Earning My Ears

We will also be sailing in July. Are you doing the Venice or Greece? I would be VERY SAD if they started ripping things up during our very expensive cruise.

jnweinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
tajz90
Mama D

We are doing Greece and I hope nothing is being prepped!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #36
jnweinmann
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We are doing Greece and I hope nothing is being prepped!
We are doing Venice and I think that is right after yours.

jnweinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #37
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

When we were aboard the Magic in September, we were talking with a manager -level cast/crew member. We asked him what the plans were for dry dock as it seems to be such a LONG dry dock compared to the last one (which was 2 weeks). He said Topsiders would be re-done, as well as Parrot Cay. He also said they had plans on stretching the ship...cutting it down the center and making it larger he also said that the reason there were no reservations being made for the WBTA was so they had those 2 weeks to make final repairs and renovations, Esp if they were delayed during those 6 weeks in dry dock.

I know that such a feat is possible, as we sailed on a stretched RCI ship (Enchantment of the Seas) and they said it took about 2 months. Plus, the Magic was originally made in 2 separate parts then joined...

Very curious to see what they do. But knowing this rumor, I did go through the ship on one of our port days and took pictures of everything. This way, if that rumor comes true, I have pictures of the Magic's good oil' days

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings WE ARE ALMOST PLATINUM!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2PrincessesLinSy View Post
When we were aboard the Magic in September, we were talking with a manager -level cast/crew member. We asked him what the plans were for dry dock as it seems to be such a LONG dry dock compared to the last one (which was 2 weeks). He said Topsiders would be re-done, as well as Parrot Cay. He also said they had plans on stretching the ship...cutting it down the center and making it larger he also said that the reason there were no reservations being made for the WBTA was so they had those 2 weeks to make final repairs and renovations, Esp if they were delayed during those 6 weeks in dry dock.

I know that such a feat is possible, as we sailed on a stretched RCI ship (Enchantment of the Seas) and they said it took about 2 months. Plus, the Magic was originally made in 2 separate parts then joined...

Very curious to see what they do. But knowing this rumor, I did go through the ship on one of our port days and took pictures of everything. This way, if that rumor comes true, I have pictures of the Magic's good oil' days
omg! I'd like a little refurb but I sure hope they don't change it too much. We love the Magic and don't ever want it to be a mega ship like the Dream & Fantasy. I really hope they don't add waaaaay too many cabins like they did on the big ships too. Dream & Fantasy crowds would be much more managable & less annoying if they removed one deck of all cabins.

Now I want to sail on her one last time...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #39
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

That's interesting for sure. As far as I can tell, they don't have any new rooms when we sail out after drydock. But I guess they could always open it up later. I'm on that sailing and this is my first ever cruise so I am totally dying to see what they do. I hope they will announce it at some point.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
taswira
"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
omg! I'd like a little refurb but I sure hope they don't change it too much. We love the Magic and don't ever want it to be a mega ship like the Dream & Fantasy. I really hope they don't add waaaaay too many cabins like they did on the big ships too. Dream & Fantasy crowds would be much more managable & less annoying if they removed one deck of all cabins.

DCL #20: 11/8/2014 DISNEY FANTASY
DCL #21: 12/5/2015 DISNEY FANTASY
taswira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #41
Mikeyto_96
OKraysDisneySon

I just got off the Magic a week ago and was able to speak to several crew about her drydock. She will drydock in Fincantieri and will undergo extensive refurb to include all rooms being redone, the crew area is getting a new look to include some features from the Dream/Fantasy. Topsiders and Parrot Cay are going to be refurbed. Animators is also expected to be upgraded to match the Dream/Fantasy. All new carpeting throughout the ship too. I asked if the horn will be upgraded but never did get an answer. Nobody said anything about stretching her but who knows. Also, next year the Wonder is scheduled for a long drydock to receive the same refurb and upgrades. Didn't hear where though.

Last edited by Mikeyto_96; 02-01-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Mikeyto_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #42
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post

They will not be adding a new mid section to the Magic. If that was in the works, it would be all over the Maritime and ship biulding news. Not to mention they would have to be biulding the midsection now !

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #43
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyto_96 View Post
I just got off the Magic a week ago and was able to speak to several crew about her drydock. She will drydock in Fincantieri and will undergo extensive refurb to include all rooms being redone, the crew area is getting a new look to include some features from the Dream/Fantasy. Topsiders and Parrot Cay are going to be refurbed. Animators is also expected to be upgraded to match the Dream/Fantasy. All new carpeting throughout the ship too. I asked if the horn will be upgraded but never did get an answer. Nobody said anything about stretching her but who knows. Also, next year the Wonder is scheduled for a long drydock to receive the same refurb and upgrades. Didn't hear where though.
Does that mean the Wonder will be going to the Med in 2014?

Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #44
Mikeyto_96
OKraysDisneySon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
Does that mean the Wonder will be going to the Med in 2014?
I would say most likely it will. I believe most of the extended drydocks for ships are done in Europe. I don't know that Freeport can handle extensive drydock work.

Mikeyto_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #45
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

These pics were found online by Disney Cruise Blog... so... maybe these will be the designs...

Here are some of the potential renderings...

Cabanas (topsiders/beach blanket)

Parrot Cay

The Spa

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney cruise, disney magic, dry dock, renovations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: