Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I have never rented (have my own ECV) - but I have read over & over again on these boards how wonderful Apple Scooter is.

I am sorry you had to deal with all of the mess you were handed. You must have felt like screaming!

I hope that Apple takes care of you because you went through enough!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

I am very sorry for what you went through and other are correct-there is no excuse for bad service.
However I will say I rented from them in October and had no problems whatsoever. The scooter ran and charged well for the whole trip. I had no need to contact them so I can't comment on that. We were off property so the scooter was dropped at bell services for us and was there when it was supposed to be and full charged when we got it. I know Apple has had a good reputation on the boards, and I hope there is no problems with them now.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

It's unfortunate that you had such a bad experience and agree there is no excuse for bad service.

I do have to point out though that there are no companies that have 100% positive reviews. Each of the rental companies has had the occasional report of 'worst company ever' and 'extermely rude' service.
For any company you can name, there will be some people who had great, 'went out of their way' service and others who report, 'it was terrible. I will never rent from them again.'

But, those bad reports, so far, are greatly outweighed by people reporting good experiences for all the companies listed in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

I do think that all the companies, whether they are the Preferred Vendors or not, will have some adjustments to make. Maybe they should have been better prepared, but the real test will come in how they react and change in response to the difficulties like the OP posted about.
I don't think it is fair to say they should be removed from the list of Preferred Vendors based on one ( or even a few) reports.
Renters should not have to suffer because a vendor was not prepared, and the vendor should make it right when there is a problem.

But most of these companies are small and may not have really understood exactly what the impact of Preferred Status would be.

I expect to hear some bad stories also about the companies that have had to change their practice to pick up and deliver from the renter instead of the resort as they figure out how to make things work.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I don't think it is fair to say they should be removed from the list of Preferred Vendors based on one ( or even a few) reports.
Renters should not have to suffer because a vendor was not prepared, and the vendor should make it right when there is a problem.

But most of these companies are small and may not have really understood exactly what the impact of Preferred Status would be.

I expect to hear some bad stories also about the companies that have had to change their practice to pick up and deliver from the renter instead of the resort as they figure out how to make things work.
I agree, one bad review does not constitute removal from the preferred list. I just pointed out that I ran into several others having similar issues with them during my time there and that CM's seemed to know all about those issues (ie they occur regularly).

I hope they do rectify things. I've done a search on several other companies and they are the only one I can find that offers a head read on an ecv which I really need as it cuts down on neck pain from my fibromyalgia when I can rest my head back for a few minutes. We are going again in March and may end up having to choose them again if no one else has a head rest ecv. However...they must first make some sort of mends with our situation and I must see prood they are improving.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I just talked to my sister-in-law about their experience with Apple. They just got back from a 10 day stay and said their experience was wonderful and that she couldn't say enough good things about them. They had a battery issue at Magic Kingdom and Apple sent a tech right away to help them. They also had problems with a wheel while at HS and they brought them a replacement scooter very quickly. I was telling her about what I'd read and she said that she had no problems when calling Apple and that the customer service she received from them was excellent and that everyone was very friendly and professional. She said they were just as great now as they've been on their past trips. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but I don't believe that Apple's service is as bad across the board as you think. You had a bad experience and, by all means, use a different company next time if you wish but we'll be sticking with Apple based on our own experiences.
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218
I just talked to my sister-in-law about their experience with Apple. They just got back from a 10 day stay and said their experience was wonderful and that she couldn't say enough good things about them. They had a battery issue at Magic Kingdom and Apple sent a tech right away to help them. They also had problems with a wheel while at HS and they brought them a replacement scooter very quickly. I was telling her about what I'd read and she said that she had no problems when calling Apple and that the customer service she received from them was excellent and that everyone was very friendly and professional. She said they were just as great now as they've been on their past trips. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but I don't believe that Apple's service is as bad across the board as you think. You had a bad experience and, by all means, use a different company next time if you wish but we'll be sticking with Apple based on our own experiences.
That's great that you had such wonderful service from them but after reading your post what sends up a red flag IMO is that you had TWO different issues with the same ECV in a fairly short amount of time. I'm glad they addressed and fixed the issues quickly. But in All the the times I rented an ECV prior to owning my own, I only ever had ONE issue with a rental unit and I was able to fix that over the phone. Honestly, it was my first or second time renting and I think it was an 'operator' issue more than an equipment issue. I think we weren't doing something right, but the exact details escape me because we are talking about something from years ago. But anyway...I think this is concerning when you have multiple issues with the same piece of equipment, no matter how great the service is. It can cause guests to lose park time, dining ressies, etc... just my .02

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
katrina1122

Quick Update

So DH called them today to follow up about our promised refund for the 24 hours of useless scooters, headache and stress. They still have not credited it back to us. The person who answered the phone said she remembered our problems, but had no power to process the promised refund. DH asked to speak with Jose again, he was apparently not in but is supposed to call us back.

DH explained that we would be willing to rent from them again since once we got a working scooter it was really good (ie head rest, superb turning radius, could go two days without charging), but they really needed to address what happened. Maybe reaching out a bit on our end will give them incentive to respond.

I still have issue with them and that so many people were having mechanical issues, this is not right. I've never experienced that from any other rental company, but since I can't seem to find another company who rents an ecv with a head rest, they may be my only option so we have to come to some sort of conclusion with this whole mess.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
So DH called them today to follow up about our promised refund for the 24 hours of useless scooters, headache and stress. They still have not credited it back to us. The person who answered the phone said she remembered our problems, but had no power to process the promised refund. DH asked to speak with Jose again, he was apparently not in but is supposed to call us back.

DH explained that we would be willing to rent from them again since once we got a working scooter it was really good (ie head rest, superb turning radius, could go two days without charging), but they really needed to address what happened. Maybe reaching out a bit on our end will give them incentive to respond.

I still have issue with them and that so many people were having mechanical issues, this is not right. I've never experienced that from any other rental company, but since I can't seem to find another company who rents an ecv with a head rest, they may be my only option so we have to come to some sort of conclusion with this whole mess.

I am not sure who Jose is with the company, but the owners name is Alex, and anytime that I have talked with him I had no issues. Maybe he is the one who you need to speak to.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
katrina1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
I am not sure who Jose is with the company, but the owners name is Alex, and anytime that I have talked with him I had no issues. Maybe he is the one who you need to speak to.
We've tried to speak with Alex and he never calls back. We are always told to talk with Jose, I think he's the manager. We are always told Alex is offsite and will have to call back, but Jose is available. This time neither were.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

I rented from Apple earlier in the year and had problems with my ECV. I also spoke with others who had problems. My general feeling is that they have great customer service but at least some of their ECV fleet is not holding up well under the heavy usage.

With that said, since they have great prices and customer service as well as insurance coverage, I am giving them another try. This time I am upgrading the ECV I rent and I am going to see if that helps. Reliability is extremely important!

Edit- At least they gave me good service in the past. Sorry op that you are having such a problem. That does concern me.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

I am so sorry you had this experience. In some ways it is similar to a situation I had with Apple a couple of years ago. I was left waiting at the entrance to Animal Kingdom for several hours waiting for them to bring a replacement scooter. Based on that experience I made the decision never to use them again--I agree that equipment failures happen, but the important thing is how the company responds. In my case--and it appears in your case too--they seriously dropped the ball.

I am appalled that they made the "Preferred Vendor" list and other company's--like Randy's and Walkers--did not. There are rumors that there is going to be a preferred vendor list here in California too and I am hoping that the vendor I use here (Scooter Village/OC Medical) is on it.

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie
I am so sorry you had this experience. In some ways it is similar to a situation I had with Apple a couple of years ago. I was left waiting at the entrance to Animal Kingdom for several hours waiting for them to bring a replacement scooter. Based on that experience I made the decision never to use them again--I agree that equipment failures happen, but the important thing is how the company responds. In my case--and it appears in your case too--they seriously dropped the ball.

I am appalled that they made the "Preferred Vendor" list and other company's--like Randy's and Walkers--did not. There are rumors that there is going to be a preferred vendor list here in California too and I am hoping that the vendor I use here (Scooter Village/OC Medical) is on it.
Their doing it on both places and in wdw might soon expand it to cover strollers. I think walker not being a preferred vendor is walker choice I think they like to diliver to the guest directly to answer questions. So soon they might just decide to join just to say their preferred.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

We always use Apple and a couple times have had issues; they resolved them as quickly as possible and to our satisfaction. We have used another company as well as rented onsite before and to be realistic, there is no way that a high traffic company is going to have perfect ECVs 100% of the time. Sorry for your experience, OP - we usually contact them via email if we need to in non-emergent situations and Alex always emails us back promptly, so maybe that is a better avenue for contact.

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop Dec 2013 @ DLR Feb 2014 @ ASMusic

Future Trips: Apr 2014 - Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies

Upcoming Trip
SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

From what I have heard, Walker elected not to participate further in the selection process. I know there were some specific requirements for the contract (including a fee) and they may not have felt it was economically feasible for them to do it.

As far as I know, Randy's did not participate. Their policy was to pick up and deliver to the renter, so there would be little 'advantage' to them to become a preferred vendor.

Readers should keep in mind that not being a Preferred Vendor is not an indication that Disney or anyone else thinks those are lower quality vendors in any way. Disney elected, for whatever reason, to make contracts with a limited number of vendors to allow them some services that other vendors will not get.
With the large numbers if vendors, there was no way they could all be included.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #30
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Their doing it on both places and in wdw might soon expand it to cover strollers. I think walker not being a preferred vendor is walker choice I think they like to diliver to the guest directly to answer questions. So soon they might just decide to join just to say their preferred.
Up until the last two trips we have always used Walkers. Other than talking to them on the phone when I first ordered the ECV, we've never had any other personal contact with them. We just always picked the ECV up at bell services, then dropped it off there the last day. We always received good service-never got a bad ECV and the ECV was always waiting when we arrived. The only reason I switched to Apple was the good reviews they got here on the DIS and because they were cheaper. Both times we've used Apple (this past Sept 1st-8th and then again Oct 27th-Nov 4th) I called early in the morning and both times Alex was the one that answered the phone. He was very nice and professional. Both times we got the same great service and ECVs that we had gotten from Walker's in the past. We have not had a problem with either company and would highly recommend either, although these reports about Apple are concerning to me.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: