Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

I prefer to drive, until our last couple of trips we even drove to MK but we will no longer do that. I like to drive because I can control what time I get to the parks. I know if I want to be at DHS for rope drop I need to be in the car about 15-20 minutes before the time I want to be at a turnstyle. With the busses you don't have that control. You may get to the stop and a bus pulls up as you do, but you may get there and one may be pulling away just as you arrive. Another may be along in 10-15 minutes or it may be 30 or more, you just never know. I like not having to build in extra time that could be spent sleeping.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

Like the others in this thread, we almost always get a car and use it to go anywhere but MK (or, if staying in the Boardwalk area, we take the boat to DHS and walk to Epcot). We're going in February for my daughter's second birthday, and I'm trying to save a little money, so we are going take ME instead of renting a car and stay at Bay Lake Tower (Contemporary DVC) and make it a Magic Kingdom-focused trip (MK is very walkable from BLT). We can also take the monorail to Epcot (not sure if it is faster than bus, but it is more fun). So I figured I can deal with just taking the bus to and from AK once and DHS once.

The resort location is key. I wouldn't rely on buses if I were staying anywhere but an MK resort, or maybe an Epcot resort.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We prefer driving but we do have exceptions:

1. OKW - the bus service has always been great there, never have to wait long and the bus stops are usually really close to the park entrance.
2. Boats - always take a boat if available.

But, overwhelmingly, we prefer driving. I have had horrendous experiences waiting at parks for buses so to avoid that, we drive. I know it's not perfect but waiting in line for 45 minutes, or dealing with the strollers taking up space, or drunks from Epcot make our vehicle much more comfortable.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
biondagirl
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POP in 2010 and the buses were horrible. The second day we started taking our own car. And did it again in 2011. It just works out better for our family.

biondagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't rent cars because Disney has made it unnecessary. But you do have to allow enough time to get where you are going.

I would say at least 45 minutes to go from a resort to a park. At least an hour to an hour and a half to go between resorts. And it may take less time than that, or it may take more time than that. You have to add in time in case it takes longer for the bus to come. In case the bus is full and you have to wait for another one. In case the bus has to stop and load or unload wheelchairs or scooters.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
We always drive. We love the freedom of not having to stand around and wait for the busses. If you have AAA you can pick up a Diamond Star Parking pass (I was able to get one this year since I bought a park ticket from them, but I was also able to get one for my Dad without buying a ticket, it just depends on who is working when you go into your AAA branch to get one) which allows you to park at the front of the lot at the theme parks. Great for the Animal Kingdom and Epcot. We do normally take the bus to the MK.
What was the cost of the parking pass?

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

I'm fine with the busses. I have no problems getting up and moving in the mornings so we don't have to worry about running late. The only time we drove last visit was to dinner at the Wildreness Lodge.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #23
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

I drive the van there, park it and relax and let Disney do the driving. Patience is one of the few virtues that I was blessed with.

and, I like to partake of a libation or two....

We all pay for transportation one way or another, I elect to use it.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

I've always used the WDW transportation system and never had a problem - and never had a 60-90 minute ride!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
hoffmann2828
Schooling my daughter in the Disney Way

I am a Dis-busser too. I enjoy the ride, I enjoy the people-watching, I enjoy the savings!

Plus, my DD6 thinks its the coolest. :-)

THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!
hoffmann2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
scdak
DIS Veteran

2 trips onsite and used Disney transportation exclusively...........just back from 11 days onsite with my own car and I assure you I will never do it with Disney transportation again! Just taking into account getting to and from our dining ressies in other resorts saved us approx 30 hours or more in time, we could leave POFQ 30 minutes before our meal time and still arrive 15 minutes prior to our ADR to check in. We had 26 ADR's over the course of our trip so time was of essense to make those meals on time. I will say that we used valet parking at the deluxe resorts when we went there for meals, and yes, it was $15 but it was money well spent and the parking fee was valid for the entire day so we often went to 2 or even 3 deluxe resorts in a day to dine, shop or walk around.
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've always used the WDW transportation system and never had a problem - and never had a 60-90 minute ride!
Lucky you! Perhaps you've never had to travel between resort hotels later in the evening when a transfer at DTD is required. 60-90 minutes is not unusual. UGH!

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I enjoy not having to deal with the traffic and sleep on the bus. If we drive down and have our car, we prefer parking it once at the resort and leaving it there.

Totally agree, after driving 11 hours, the last thing I want to do is drive (especially at night) to & from the Park parking lots. We always try to stay at Boardwalk, BCV, or the Yacht club. This way we can either hop a bus to Epcot, & walk to our resort, or just take a bus directly to the resort. Heck, besides EPCOT, we've even walked to the Studios from the Boardwalk.
Honestly, I think the longest we ever waited for a bus, to MK or AK was 30 minutes at most.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

We stayed at POR last December. Out of a 10 day trip we only had one issue where we waited for close to 45 minutes for a bus to Epcot which we finally gave up on. Other than that, I would say we never waited more than ten minutes.
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I wll not have a car when I am there next week, but my last 2 trips I had a car and didn't move it from the lot until the day we had to leave.

Different strokes for different folks of course, but I can't think of a situation where I would voluntarily get in my car and fight traffic when I could sit on a bus for "free." A bus that takes me closer to the gate than the parking lot.

I have stayed at ASM and CBR (both in the busy summer season) and used bus transportation over the car I already had there with no regrets. Sure, we waited a few minutes, and the night we stayed at MK for the light parade we waited through 3 rounds of pickups to get on. But I didn't have to find a place to park, find my car again later, and walk to the gate from area 51.

I can relax and chat with my DD on the bus. This time we are flying, but I didn't even consider renting a car. We never waited more than 10 minutes I don't think for a bus, and we had seats more often than not.

The only time we had trouble was traveling from MK to GF when the monorail went down. That wasn't even bus related. It made the lines at the boat launch unbelievably long and slow.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: