Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Have you done gift wrapping as a fundraiser before?

Can you tell me the details of how you set it up?

We are planning on doing this for the band for the month of Dec...every Sat. It will be donations only.

I'm thinking of 2 hour shifts, with the option of the kids to sign up for more shifts if there are any available.

Thinking of having shifts all day from 10-6 or something along those lines.

What I don't know is how many people to schedule per shift....we want to still be able to make some profit so we don't want TONS of people working - but then again - we don't want to be swamped either.

Any ideas?
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

I've done gift wrapping for charity/donation/fund raiser for a quite a few years in Syracuse (up until I moved last year). It's a lot of fun, if you enjoy gift wrapping, but it's expensive to do from an organization's perspective.

They do typically get a lot of supplies donated, but not all so there is still a cost to the organization. A large roll of paper can be $1,000+ for quality and having an efficient work area is important. The locations I've done the wrapping at are all in malls and the space was donated and they had temporary stands/wrapping paper carriers that made it easy to work, plus a steady stream of customers was great.

Where are you looking to setup? Do you have supplies donated, are you paying for people to wrap or is it all donated time?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
I've done gift wrapping for charity/donation/fund raiser for a quite a few years in Syracuse (up until I moved last year). It's a lot of fun, if you enjoy gift wrapping, but it's expensive to do from an organization's perspective.

They do typically get a lot of supplies donated, but not all so there is still a cost to the organization. A large roll of paper can be $1,000+ for quality and having an efficient work area is important. The locations I've done the wrapping at are all in malls and the space was donated and they had temporary stands/wrapping paper carriers that made it easy to work, plus a steady stream of customers was great.

Where are you looking to setup? Do you have supplies donated, are you paying for people to wrap or is it all donated time?
It's donated time- the kids& their parents. We have not had any luck getting paper donated yet - we were just going to have the parents bring their own paper/scissors/tape. There's no way we could purcase a roll of paper for $1,000! we are looking to make that much money in 4 weeks & we'd be delighted... not SPEND that much!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
Can you tell me the details of how you set it up?

We are planning on doing this for the band for the month of Dec...every Sat. It will be donations only.

I'm thinking of 2 hour shifts, with the option of the kids to sign up for more shifts if there are any available.

Thinking of having shifts all day from 10-6 or something along those lines.

What I don't know is how many people to schedule per shift....we want to still be able to make some profit so we don't want TONS of people working - but then again - we don't want to be swamped either.

Any ideas?
Not for nothing but my first reaction is to make sure the kids who sign up can wrap and wrap well.

I like wrapping, so do it myself, but if I were persuaded for a charitable endeavour, I would not find it cute or endearing if it was wrapped badly by a kid - you're either offering wrapping or you're not, you know?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Not for nothing but my first reaction is to make sure the kids who sign up can wrap and wrap well.

I like wrapping, so do it myself, but if I were persuaded for a charitable endeavour, I would not find it cute or endearing if it was wrapped badly by a kid - you're either offering wrapping or you're not, you know?
YEP! The last group I saw do this were a bunch of teenage boys raising the money - their moms did all the wrapping & they stuck on the bows & greeted ya....that's about it.

I think most people will tell you honestly if they can wrap or not- somehow I'll have it worderd on the signup sheet that they must be able to wrap (or bring someone for their shift who can).
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
jen0610
DIS Veteran

To help with the paper budget, go to target and hit that $1.00 area at the front of the store. They have these small rolls of paper for a buck. They are the perfect size for wrapping DVD's, CD's, books and a smaller items. You won't waste much paper cutting the larger rolls down to size.

Also, go for those self adhiseve tags. You can get 100 of them for 99 cents to 1.19 a package at WalMart and I think Target has some that are cheaper.

Also, don't hesitate to ask families if they have any rolls of paper they would like to donate. I am sure that there are famlies like ours that have about 13,000 rolls of paper - I swear every year no matter what I say, I end up buying some after Christmas on sale - and they would like to clear out some of there stock.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
To help with the paper budget, go to target and hit that $1.00 area at the front of the store. They have these small rolls of paper for a buck. They are the perfect size for wrapping DVD's, CD's, books and a smaller items. You won't waste much paper cutting the larger rolls down to size.

Also, go for those self adhiseve tags. You can get 100 of them for 99 cents to 1.19 a package at WalMart and I think Target has some that are cheaper.

Also, don't hesitate to ask families if they have any rolls of paper they would like to donate. I am sure that there are famlies like ours that have about 13,000 rolls of paper - I swear every year no matter what I say, I end up buying some after Christmas on sale - and they would like to clear out some of there stock.
Good idea - I hadn't thought of asking any & everyone for rolls of paper - of course I want it only if it's in this century! HA! My grandmother used to save all the used paper from gifts....
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

I bought a roll of paper from Sam's of 400 sq feet for $9 & then the paper @ Hobby Lobby is actually cheaper. 200' for $4.

But of course I'd rather have free....
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

We gift wrapped at Barnes & Noble last year for the marching band. I think we usually had three people at a time. They only give you one table, so there isn't really room for more than that.

The provide their own wrapping paper, as well.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Our elementary school PTO did this a few years ago at a LL Bean Outlet. LL Bean supplied everything, we just had to supply the labor. I understand they made a lot of money, but it was a lot of work!

So couldn’t we all come to the conclusion that it’s not the PLACE that counts, it’s the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
We gift wrapped at Barnes & Noble last year for the marching band. I think we usually had three people at a time. They only give you one table, so there isn't really room for more than that.

The provide their own wrapping paper, as well.
Never thought about Barnes & Noble
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Wrapped one year for the American cancer society. The mall provided the wrapping paper and tables and would only allow a voluntary donation. My suggestion would be to ask a minimum per package. We had several folks walk up with about 10 packages and donate only a couple of dollars for the entire thing!

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
Never thought about Barnes & Noble
I have seen wrapping at B&N, but I can't remember what type of group it was and who they were raising money for.

I do remember, that if you made a purchase and told the cashier that you wanted to donate a percentage of your purchase, it went to them as well. That would be a sweet and easy way to earn even more money. And if I knew our band was doing this, I would buy all the books I needed on that day.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

I wrapped at Barnes and Noble for the golden retriever rescue. In the stores we were allowed to have dogs, they collected a lot of money. Obviously, we did the wrapping. B&N did supply paper. I learned some great decorating tips from the people who have done it before. I thin B&N gets a lot of people wanting to wrap and the available slots fill up quickly.

We had about 3 or 4 people wrapping. If you pick up bells and garland and things at the Dollar Store, you can really make the bows look nice.

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I've never been involved in afund raiser like this but wow, what a great idea! Good luck, OP, I hope it's very successful.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: