Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Ready for liftoff in the aluminum tube of death!

Am happy to report that with no trip to Disney since last February, we are now booked for a week at the end of January. We tried for our favorite 2 resorts- POFQ and Beach Club - but had to settle for POR (where we've never stayed) and the Yacht Club.

DH says, "Well, look at it this way- we'll get to try two new places!"
Me: "Yeah, POR is the sister resort of POFQ, and the Yacht Club is attached to the Beach Club. Way to expand our horizons!"

Back in February, we got a pixie-dust upgrade to Concierge level at the Beach Club. It was amazing. We got a spectacular top-floor room with a balcony overlooking Stormalong Bay and Crescent Lake, tons of free food, and the coolest thing of all - there was a phone in the bathroom! I even got a call in there! The Concierge called looking for DH- there was an issue printing our boarding passes. I told him that DH was walking down the hallway as we speak, and should be there any second.

DH comes back and says, "Wow! These concierges are good! The minute I rounded the corner of they hallway, he said Hello Mr. H, we've been waiting for you!" I didn't tell him how they knew.

Anyway, I'm prepared for a dumpster-view room at the Yacht Club. There's no way we'll get pixie-dusted twice.

Have not been to Universal in about 10 years. My DD is a HP fan, just not a fanatic so it will be interesting to see how you guys compare the different experiences.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp'ersmom View Post
Ok she gives tours of Hogwarts, so it's Heidi from Phoenix, AZ, hi from Tori and Mom. That is your mission should you decide to accept it.

ORALNDO is that something like my friends cutesy name for a colonoscopy, innuendo ?
What? I made a typo? Get out!
My grandmother's best freind was named Tori, I don't think I've heard that name since. (Except for the jerk that just signed with the Tigers in Detroit, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
I haven't been a good TR friend lately, I have missed you guys so much. Hopefully, real life will slow down and I can keep up. You will have a blast at Universal. The perks of staying onsite might make you go back again. It is so relaxing with unlimited express pass. Be sure to go to early entry for Harry Potter. You won't have to stand in line for very long. But be careful, you will not be able to see when you first walk into the ride line. It is very dark as soon as you enter the line inside Hogwarts. I know with your eye issues, you want to be extra careful. We don't want you to shed anymore blood. Tell Smidgy not to be afraid of Forbidden Journey. I can't really explain it but it is amazing. I am sure she will do fine.
You vanished ever since I made you remember a jerk you met from Adairsville but glad to have you with us again. We took a state route last trip and amazingly, found ourselves going through Newnan again. I looked, but didn't see you anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
I kind of like your style, I might just follow your posts
Hmm, don't know the name, but the glass of wine looks familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeb144 View Post
How long does it take your eyes to dark adapt? Can you just stand off to the side of the Forbidden Journey for a bit and let your eyes adapt before you head down the que? I would hate for you to miss any of the attraction. (And miss telling me about it. Or seriously injure yourself before you even hit the ride.....)
It actually is beyond waiting for, over a half hour before they really settle in, so sounds like I'll be at Smidgy's mercy. hmm, this shojuld be interesting since I tole her I'd ride it first, and let her know if I think she can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monymony3471 View Post
The link took me somewhere far far far away, but since I have skillz I found it myself.

You are either getting smarter with this technology stuff, or, er, um, ya.

Nice try.

I'm here, that's all that matters.

I agree with the last poster, you should try to hold off and let your eyes adjust. I know Smidgy is good at leading and explaining stuff, I am a good observer, but maybe you can talk with guest services. I think that at WDW you can make special arrangments if you need to where they will accomodate you on rides, but you have to arrange it first.

Why wouldn't US/IOA?
Yes, there is a card you can get at Disney Guest Relations that can help on some rides to bypass the regular queue, I'm not sure how much that will help me though.
ANd I am SO sorry I let you down with the hyperlink, I actually had it up and working, and then I tried to change the color and font and that blew it for me.
( "A man's got to know his own limitations." Harry Callahan, Magnum Force)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I have tried to keep up on past reports and failed but since I am catching this one from the beginning I will succeed.

Looking forward to reading along.
Hey, howdy, yours is a name I've seen on the boards before, nice to meetcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Lady H and I will be there as well. We'll keep an eye out for her as well.
Great, by the time we are all done with her, she'll think she's being stalked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilheadbob View Post
Okay Nebo, got my seatbelt buckled and am anxiously awaiting this trip report to get underway. I put my money on the mouse!

Bob
Hey there Bob, welcome back. And I wouldn't hand the trophy to Disney just yet, even with Universal as underdog, I already know of a huge upset in one case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHSweb79 View Post
Ready for liftoff in the aluminum tube of death!

That makes one of us.

Am happy to report that with no trip to Disney since last February, we are now booked for a week at the end of January. We tried for our favorite 2 resorts- POFQ and Beach Club - but had to settle for POR (where we've never stayed) and the Yacht Club.

DH says, "Well, look at it this way- we'll get to try two new places!"
Me: "Yeah, POR is the sister resort of POFQ, and the Yacht Club is attached to the Beach Club. Way to expand our horizons!"

Yeah, no kidding, like having to stay at Movies instead of Music, but hey, as we always say, now we can knock that off our list. But when you check into Riverside, hacve a good knowledge of the building numbers, and FIGHT for the closer buildings to the main food court. Oak Manor and Magnolia Terrace in the mansion section, and building 14 and 18 our perfect in the bayou. You DON"T have to take the first room they assign you, this is why we never use the premature checkin.
Hmm, that sounds funny,, oh, Early Bird check in, yeah that's better.

Anyway, I'm prepared for a dumpster-view room at the Yacht Club. There's no way we'll get pixie-dusted twice.

We have also said the exact same thing, only to be pleasantly surprised time and again, with a little work sometimes.

Have not been to Universal in about 10 years. My DD is a HP fan, just not a fanatic so it will be interesting to see how you guys compare the different experiences.
It's been over 3 years now since we've been there, and to be honest, the last time there we found some disappointments, such as Simpsons replacing Back to the Future, and a reworked Earthquake, that both fell short of fun.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Chapter I, What's Ahead

I'm starting to get excited, the closer we get, for a few reasons. One is that I'm looking forward to being back at Uni, it's been a while and now we have a few new things to try there: The Cinemasmope nighttime show, Harry Potterville, Despicable Me ride, and hopefully getting to see Fear Factor again.
Not sure that one is still up and running, but the one time we tried it we had a blast watching those idiots.

Would you believe me if I told you I'm tempted to sign up for it?
Can you picture me running , jumping, climbing, throwing, oh what a chapter that would make!
If I lived to write it.

Also, when comparing rides and whatevers, I'm going to use a 10 point system, with 10 being the best, this should prevent namby pamby "ties".
I hate when nobody wins and did I just use the phrase "namby pamby"?

At some points, I might differentiate between Overall rating, and "Technical" rating. Some rides might be fancier, have more glitz, more attention to detail, more famous than it's counterpart, but the other ride may just be a better value of your time, which also translates to being more fun, so, since I like being critical and putting things down, this should be fun for me to do.

Along with Hooop de Doo and Teppanedo, we are also having lunch at Le Cellier for our Candle light package, hey, its' two credits for Le Cellier at dinner now, and the CP is also 2 credits not matter where you eat, so we get to eat there without seeming to be ripped off of a credit for the processional.

WHat else do we have?
Oh, early dinners at Grand Floridian Cafe, and a first on our list, Captain's Grill at the Beach Club.
Not sure if we'll be able to fit in a Planet Hollywood voucher this time, this will kill me not to use that 15 dollar off coupon. What do you think the odds are that they will not care about the expiration date on it and let us use it next year?

But now here's something I really am looking forward to, and it's something I'm sure that none of you would have foreseen:

We have been to Universal Studios, at least on 7 different trips over the years, and IOA at least 5 times, so the parks are nothing new to us.
However;
We have NEVER seen the parks, either one of them, at night!

Universal always closes before it gets dark when we were there. Whether September or May, even late August, nope, they kick you out before dark. One time in '06 in early May we dilly dallyed at IOA as the sun was setting, but they kept moving barricades pushing you towards the front like a herd of cattle.

"Heard of what? "
"Herd of cattle."
"Sure I've heard of cattle".
"No, a cattle herd."

"What do I care what cattle heard, I've got no secrets from cattle."

sorry

Anyway, I've always wanted to see what Yurasick Park looks like at night, or Dr. Seuss land.
And maybe get to see tons of new stuff in the dark rides I've never really seeen before in the day, Spiderman, Poseiden's Fury, and especially Yurasick Park River Adventure.

The theming at the Studios in pretty much non -existent, but still some of the dark rides might be btter as well, like E.T. , and especially Men in Black.

It now looks like I'm going to be having a birthday dinner at Jimmy Buffets, looking forward to get the Volcano Nachos again, yes, its huge!
Doesn't it seem like he's missing a marketing ploy by not having a buffet there? I also have to remember that even though we arent driving this trip, to bring the AAA card, as all the restaurants at Universal, even counter service, give a ten percent discount with the AA card.

AAA card.
No, don't have the other one.

Yet.

"Hello, my name is Nebo, and I had a flat tire!"

What is going to be strange, is that our first day/night there is Saturday at the Doubletree Hotel, no, never stayed there, but the cost of flying that day compared to the next day was so much cheaper that we STILL came out ahead, and it's walking distance to CityWalk should we choose to do so. Who know, Universal has now added two Mini Golf courses at Citywalk, supposedly they are worth checking out.

One thing that's always disappointed me at Disney was their Mini golf, from great imagineers, i expected much more elaborate ideas than what they came out with.
I think they used the same people that they used ot come up with Journey into Imagination, or Captain EO or Sounds Dangerous.

Another thing you can count on, is that Tuesday night we will be at Pat O'Brian's again.
Remember back in Still Feeding Nebo, the wonderful time we had there, when the fight broke out and I was trying to keep this other guy's blood off my white jean and white tank top? Ya, now that was some good times!

But tuesdays are not only 2 Hurricanes for the price of one, but any drink,,,, and,,,, APPETIZERS as well.
Dinner that night is probably going to be BBQ Wings and Poppers and Fried Mushrooms. Now, that's some quality, healthy eatin' that is!
And I remember a few doors down was another hall with a stage that also had Karaoke.
Hey, you never know after a couple of drinks, face it, you'd love to see me make a fool of myself up on stage, right?

Well, I guess that' s it for now, so much for my pre-trip report.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
nataliej_vk
Mouseketeer

I am in!!! And going to be in Disney at the same time too!!!! I totally agree with your le cellier reasoning for the candle light too, we are doing the same thing!
Dec 2012 - Disney Dream/Port Orleans - Riverside
Sept 2013 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
2014 - Who Knows the world is my oyster!
Nothing Ventured nothing Gain - so give it a shot it may be worth it!
nataliej_vk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Can you please get one of those camera's that you attach to yourself and it faces your face so we can just watch.

monymony3471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Looking forward to the next TR - love your style -
at least your writing style !
Have never been to Universal because it has never interested me so it will be interesting to read your comparison.
Hope you and Diane have a great and safe vacation.
Happy Thanksgiving to all !
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
"Hello, my name is Nebo, and I had a flat tire!"

Just one? This was yours wasn't it?

Oh I thought you said you had a FAT tire. And I was going to say "you didn't invite."
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
cp'ersmom
Mouseketeer

I was not so much pointing out your typo as I was seizing an opportunity to use my innuendo joke ( which nobody mentioned BTW)

Been bunches and bunches of times
First time Aug 1971 and all we saw was the welcome center.
cp'ersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
buzz1121
DIS Veteran

Oh-oh-oh-oh, Everybody was KUNG FU FIGHTING!!!!

I can't wait to read about your trip Nebo!! I haven't been to Universal in years so I can't wait to read your take on everything, in particular the Harry Potter part!

Please, please do yourself a huge favor and try to be safe! Remember, as Marita taught us in the last TR......Safe-D begins with me.
buzz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #26
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1121 View Post
Please, please do yourself a huge favor and try to be safe! Remember, as Marita taught us in the last TR......Safe-D begins with me.
LOL, Buzz. I even took a pic of a name tag. If I ever can get my phone-computer skills aligned, I will post it, along with the special zebra domes for Ponzi.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #27
smidgy
dimples

um, I do believe bldg 14 at POR is preferred , so priced higher. but nebo is right, we pour over the resort map, and make requests. (ahead of time) then at check in we see what they offer us. often, we say, 'what else ys' got?"

look at it this way, there are some rooms that are less desirable than others, but someone has to stay in them. so of course they offer them first. ( like that table in the restaurant right next to the kitchen door)..

it helps us that we don't travel with kids, so we are willing to wait. at beach club villas, we they gave us a courtyard view, room ready! (it was like 10 am) after asking what else they have, she offerred us a pool view, but it wasn't ready yet. "we'll wait!" waht's afew hours to get a better room for the whole stay? we wait by the pool (and many times, as soon as we get all settled in there, we get a call it's ready!)

at POR, make sure to see Yee hah Bob at the bar!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #28
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I'm in !!! I am so disappointed that we will just miss you guys. It would be so fun to meet and compare scars. I think you should take an extra supply of vikes .... just for back-up. You never know when that pesky gravity will suck you in.

Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
You skipped me ....waaahhhhhhhhh !!!!!
he's just mad cause you will just miss us. (he washoping to share your vikes)

nebo also has never ridden rip tide rocket. I don't think the express pass is good for that either, so that'l have to be a rope drop thing. (no, I am am NOT riding it. I will walk through the line with him though) actually, I'm always afraid something will go wrong when I do that , and they'll say, "no ma'am, you can't get out of the line from here. the honly way out is FORWARD. you got in the line, you have to ride it." ....if that ever happens, you'll all hear about it on the news; about the crazy lady at a theme park who went beserk (hey, remember that video game from the 80's? I loved it.. evil otto...)

anyhoo, not only is Le cellier 2 credits at dinner now (I know, I'm skipping around, that's how my mind works; drives nebo crazy. "diane, you don't always have to say something just cause it comes to the top of your head, you know!".. but I am NOT easily distrac......squirrel!)

oh yeah, starting Jan. Le Cellier will be 2 credits all the time, even at lunch. so good thing we got it in one last time (not sure I would use 2 credits for it). the narrator for Cp our night is whoopi!!!

I'm kinda looking forward to the double tree, weird, huh? we have stayed at crappy little motels in Kissimee many times, motel 6, knights Inn, travellodge,(oh yeah, last time, rodeway inn) etc. usually when we drive, and leave home a day early. hey, why not get to sunny fla., lie by a crappy little pool for a while, maybe walk to old town or eat at ponderosa, and get over to our disney resort bright and early check in day!!!! get a better choice of rooms. (we'll wait for a good one, see above)

but we never have spent the money on a nicer hotel. we thought of doing a crappy motel sat night, but then you have a longer taxi ride the next morning. this place looks really nice. nice pool, bar, couple retaurants, kind of a counter service eatery, and a shop with grab n go (soda, chips, etc.

we can also walk to walgreens to grab some stuff. there is a wendy's in walking distance, and also a Duke's alehouse? which had an intriguing menu online.. really inexpensive steaks. (which would probably be silly, since so many of our ADRs are steak intensive), but also cheap appitizers.

Or, it is walking distance to city walk, as nebo said. (not sure what that mean, after all, anything is "walking distance" if you have the time! maybe we'll walk over get a drink, play mini golf, eat at the burger king or the taco stand there. anyway, we won't be bored. and the first thing in the morning? royal pacific!

we are also hoping to eat at finnegans at the studios.. we stopped there once for a beer. it's huge inside, much bigger than it looks on the outside. some guy with a guitar was playing folk songs. their fish and chips look really reasonable or shepherd's pie (or is it cottage pie, and what's the dif?) ps I said "dif" cause nebo hates that tee hee. (think I'm starting this trip off on the wrong foot?)
we;ll worked a double today at the VFW (filling in for someone else on vacation, and have to work for her in the morning, then a big house wed, working thanksgiving at the restaurant, and a big house friday, then taxi picks us up at 4:15 sat morning so.. nighty nite!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

<sigh> I just finished reading the last chapter of the last TR. Saw the link. Posting this. Haven't read any of the previous two pages.

Back later... but wanted to post that I'm here too!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
sewmess
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=smidgy;46750034 (I know, I'm skipping around, that's how my mind works; drives nebo crazy. "diane, you don't always have to say something just cause it comes to the top of your head, you know!".. but I am NOT easily distrac......squirrel!)
[/QUOTE]

In my family it's called "Galaxy Hopping." It's a woman thing, I think. You know exactly where you're going with your thoughts, but men just can't keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
<sigh> I just finished reading the last chapter of the last TR. Saw the link. Posting this. Haven't read any of the previous two pages.

Back later... but wanted to post that I'm here too!
What he said...wrote...whatever - I'm in!
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: