Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
epadisney
Earning My Ears

Driving your own car vs buses...

Hi! My family is driving to Disney in March and staying at POR. I've been hearing that the bus service from this resort is not always the greatest...and to allow 60-90 minutes of travel time to the parks each morning. Really??? That seems crazy. For our last stay (POFQ), we loved the convenience of not having to drive anywhere during the week. But now I'm wondering, would we be better off taking our own car to the parks each morning?
epadisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

I enjoy the freedom of having a car. Most people will agree that if you have a car, it's easier to drive to all the parks except MK.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by epadisney View Post
Hi! My family is driving to Disney in March and staying at POR. I've been hearing that the bus service from this resort is not always the greatest...and to allow 60-90 minutes of travel time to the parks each morning. Really??? That seems crazy. For our last stay (POFQ), we loved the convenience of not having to drive anywhere during the week. But now I'm wondering, would we be better off taking our own car to the parks each morning?
No, the buses don't take that long. I would estimate that it takes about 20-30 minutes bus stop to bus stop to get to the parks. But, you do have to include waiting at the bus stop and if you want to be at the park before rope drop. So, maybe it might take close to an hour if you start counting when you leave your room and stop counting when the park opens. Personally, I like to drive everywhere except the MK. I don't drive to the MK because I don't particularly like the Ticket and Transportation Center.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by epadisney View Post
We have rented a car all trips but one. I would never rely on the busses again. I like having the freedom to go where we want, when we want. The busses can be hit or miss sometimes and can take up significant time depending on how busy it is. There is no cost to park since you are staying on property. We also sneak out to Dunkin Donuts sometimes. It's just off property. If you don't mind waiting for busses when parks let out or it is busy then use the busses. You can also use the busses for some transportation and the car for other. We definitely prefer to drive and have the control.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
amylevan
DIS Veteran

If you stayed at POFQ last time and had no problems, it's really not much different from POR since they share busses. So if you were ok last time, you should be ok this time.

(And no I've never had 60-90 min of travel time from any of the resorts, and we almost exclusively use busses...)
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally, I like to drive everywhere except the MK.
Totally agree!
And, if you travel between resorts (not parks) for meals especially in the evenings, using Disney transportation can be a nightmare.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Personally we love the freedom of driving.

You hear such conflicting stories about Disney Transportation .... I remember one thread on the Resorts board about how awful the buses were at POR and then another DISer jumped in to say they were at POR at the exact same time and thought the buses were wonderful
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

We enjoy driving. Even driving to MK doesn't bother us. It gives us more flexibility, and it makes it a ton easier for our ADRs at other resorts.

It's free when you stay on property, so why not I say?!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

If your car is there use it. I love having my car there
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
JessM
We all have a dream

We always drive. We love the freedom of not having to stand around and wait for the busses. If you have AAA you can pick up a Diamond Star Parking pass (I was able to get one this year since I bought a park ticket from them, but I was also able to get one for my Dad without buying a ticket, it just depends on who is working when you go into your AAA branch to get one) which allows you to park at the front of the lot at the theme parks. Great for the Animal Kingdom and Epcot. We do normally take the bus to the MK.
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I enjoy not having to deal with the traffic and sleep on the bus. If we drive down and have our car, we prefer parking it once at the resort and leaving it there.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
kydisfan
Mouseketeer

We generally drive in the mornings and take the bus in the afternoon for some reason. We are usually running late in the mornings so driving is real easy.
kydisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Outside of whichever park is nearest to my resort (i.e. epcot to BC) I drive my own car.

the first two years I went to disney my children where small. I hated dealing with the strollers and buses, especially at the end of the night. guest were down right nasty when I didn't have my kids out of the stroller the nanosecond the bus rolled up, buses always seemed to take at least 30 mins. I hate waiting 30 mins for a ride let alone a bus. LOL.

anyhoo, we love driving. It opened up tons more eating options since now we can go resort to resort quickly, we've found disney extremely easy to get around (have yet to get stuck in heavy traffic) and now that we've been so often we've explored outside the park.

No car, no trip is my motto.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
hidingmickey
wuteva

Argh you guys keep me on the fence about renting a car for Christmas! And please tell me more about the AAA thing! What if we did not book through them?
hidingmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidingmickey View Post
Argh you guys keep me on the fence about renting a car for Christmas! And please tell me more about the AAA thing! What if we did not book through them?
It really seems to depend on the individual AAA office. Some will give them out to any member who asks. Others will only give them out with a purchase (park tickets or package).

We drive TO WDW on occasion. But we don't drive IN WDW. We park it and forget it for the duration. DH says he does enough driving at home- he doesn't want to have to contend with it on vacation too. We've never had a problem with the buses. We may take a taxi back to our resort at night if we've been dining at another resort. (And since we would probably have enjoyed a beverage or two during the evening, we couldn't have driven our car anyway).
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: