Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
danda22
Earning My Ears

What is your favorite non-disney things to do on vacation?

Curious as to what else you do, if anything besides Disney. We are wanting to experience what Orlando has to offer also. We are a family of 4, firl (10), boy (11), will be going for the first time the first week of June.
danda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Seaworld is always a great bet, if your kids like coasters, there are 2 great ones there, as well as the Journey to Atlantis, water coaster also.

Also good for your kids ages, (again, if they like thrill rides) Is of course Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure(IoA is where Harry Potter World is)

Definitely, that time of year, you will also want to check out one of the water parks (Disney or otherwise).

Disney/Orlando is great with kids your ages, because there is SOOO much to see and do. You will never get to do it all in one trip, and will be planning your next one as soon as you get back.
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
danda22
Earning My Ears

thank you. we are trying to do things other than thrill rides and roller coasters. we live very close to cedar point in ohio and have passes so we want other things to do besides riding rides and standing in lines all day.
danda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
married2mm
DIS Veteran

we have not really explored orlando-outside the parks, we have managed downtown disney!

we like going to disneyquest and to the movies, as we come from the u.k. so we get to see movies sooner than we would at home.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

Love Downtown Disney, Seaworld and cruising international drive, we've gone to Ripleys, upside down house and always try to go the outlet malls

Cookie (RIP 5/10/10) you gave us 15 years of pure Love and Loyalty we miss you so...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Visits: 2007, 2008, 2010 and planning 2014
Happiest mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

We love Old Town in Kissimmee & always visit when we stay off-site. It's cheesy carnival-like rides & decent shopping & food. We love watching brave souls ride the Slingshot ride. That will NEVER be me!

We did Ripley's but found it was a waste of cash at the time. (About 10 yrs ago) It seemed like we had already seen everything they had on display via their TV show already.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
JustMeFran
Mouseketeer

Medieval Times!!
http://www.medievaltimes.com/

JustMeFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
amym2
DIS Veteran

Since it's your first trip, I would not plan to squeeze much in other than Disney. You can easily spend two days at Epcot with a 10 and 11 year old. We went to Typhoon Lagoon last month with DS11 and DD8 and they loved it.

Please try not to go thinking WDW and Cedar Point are similar at all. CP is about the thrills (and my kids love it) but WDW is about the experience. The thrill rides are about the atmosphere and are completely different than CP rides. Tower of Terror is thrilling in a way that a regular "drop" ride isn't. Rockn Roller Coaster and EE are probably the closest to what you are picturing, but they are completely worth riding because they are more about the immersive experience than just the thrill. If you skip the thrill rides at WDW because you think you can do similar rides at CP, you can't!!

In terms of waiting in lines all day, you should not have to do that if you plan and you hit the headliners first. Make sure you do Test Track and Soarin first at EP, Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari at AK, RNRC, ToT, and Toy Story Mania at DHS, and SpaceMtn at MK.

Universal and IOA also can't be compared to CP. The rides there are so much cooler. And please don't think I'm negative about CP, like I said my kids love it, but it is just a bunch of roller coasters, these other parks are "THEME" parks!

That said, there are tons of really cool mini-golf places in the WDW area. We did Congo River Golf last month (it's in Kissimmee, not too far) and it was great. Kids could even feed the alligators (for a fee, of course).
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I live in NW PA and I've been to Cedar Point and WDW. The difference between the two is huge. It's like comparing a trip to the beaches of Lake Erie w/ a trip to Hawaii. You won't need to go to other parks if this is your first trip and you will not get to do everything at WDW unless you are staying for 1 1/2-2 weeks. Our family does no coasters and few thrill rides and there are so many other rides/shows. Make sure to use fastpass. At WDW, there are a lot of inside lines or at least covered areas so you won' be lined up outside in the sun all the time.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by danda22 View Post
thank you. we are trying to do things other than thrill rides and roller coasters. we live very close to cedar point in ohio and have passes so we want other things to do besides riding rides and standing in lines all day.
SeaWorld ( nice and laid back...not in lines and standing all day), Medieval Times and I think that there is a wax museum nearby, too.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Discovery Cove and swim with the dolphins! This park is by advance reservation only to keep the number of guests under a certain number. It is awesome!
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
runui
Earning My Ears

Sea World. Great and fun place.
runui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

I love Seaworld and DH loves Kennedy Space Centre. I'm not a big space fan like he is but I still found it really interesting.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
bearloch
DIS Veteran

I did not see if you are driving or not but you can go orange groves, beach, gatorland is fun to see a ton of gators! there is alos a lot of mini golf 2 on property and a bunch off site. also shopping!

ALSO having lived in Mi I too have been to CP a ton and it is NOTHNG like what you will experience at Disney!!! there is so much to see and do without ever getting on a ride or going in a show!!!! the details and shops and experience is outstanding!! makes cp look like a childs toy!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Universal's Islands of Adventure is worth a day or two.

Maybe spend some time on a beach somewhere.

Never been to Kennedy Space Center, but always wanted to go.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: