Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #76
lana772
Disneyland Lover
 
lana772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Modesto, Ca
Posts: 2,861

Found on dlandlive.com 2012 candy cane making ... Mondays and Fridays in DL. Tuesdays and Saturdays in DCA. $12.95 each and you get a wristband at park opening for it.
There is also a neat video on the above website showing them being made.
lana772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #77
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial
 
Disney Dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere this side of the rainbow
Posts: 16,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner
I think it makes a big difference, it is why I always buy the candy they are making fresh in the candy window. So fresh and special to see the artisan skill p close. It is special to see them make it and then get to eat it. Otherwise I do think it is just an overpriced candy cane.
Just a point, this is my reasoning, I do not think this is why others by the candy canes.
Thank you for sharing. It is indeed your reasoning and I found it interesting. I appreciate you sharing why you like to see it being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit
And in addition to the whole magical experience, the candy canes look just beautiful. They are large and have the special sheen that comes from hand pulled sugar. Factory cut candy canes can't compare. We love to watch the candy makers make the canes and the joy of holding your own freshly made cane at DL is a holiday highlight. But we also have bought the ready made canes because those were shipped overseas as gifts, so the immediate freshness would have worn off anyway.
It sounds like all the things YOU like about them being made right there will still hold true. They are still going to be fresh and made on-site so you will still get the joy that you mention of holding your own freshly made cane.

- Dreams
__________________
Uh-oh! What did we do?!?! OMG, we did it!


Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #78
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!
 
Sherry E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14,100
DISboards Moderator

I will go on record saying that I love all of the peppermint goodness that is abundant during the holiday season. I love peppermint ice cream (and, yes, you can get it any time of year at Baskin Robbins but it's more fun to eat it only during the holidays) and I love the peppermint bark samples that Ghirardelli is currently handing out in DCA. I also love peppermint mochas.

I will eat an occasional candy cane if it presents itself to me - the small kind that may be randomly attached to a gift or in a Christmas card or in a bowl at the bank or something. I don't eat candy canes often, though. I prefer to have crushed candy canes mixed into other things rather than eat the whole cane by itself.

So, based on that, I would never be one of the ones waiting in line for the giant candy canes at DLR.

However, that said, if I were going to go after one of the coveted DLR candy canes, I would want to watch them being made. I wouldn't want to buy them later without seeing the 'show' that is the candy cane-making process. It's a visual thing - some people like to watch things being crafted. Watching them being made before my eyes would be part of the whole experience for me.

Anyone who saw Guy Fieri's "Guy's Disney Holiday" show (taped in 2008, but shown on Food Network in 2009, 2010 and 2011) will recall that there was a whole segment devoted to those candy canes at DLR and exactly how they are made. Guy was in the kitchen with the confectioners as they created them. So that segment alone must have increased interest in the candy canes enormously!

If you did not see "Guy's Disney Holiday," I'm not sure if it will re-air on Food Network this year. It's unusual for that network to show a Disney-based holiday special for more than 3 years in a row (as I noticed with the Raven Symone WDW holiday special from several years ago), so I would be surprised if they showed it again in 2012 (especially since Candy Palace has relocated since last year, and the whole holiday landscape has changed with the introduction of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street). But I'm sure you can find the show somewhere on the Internet!
__________________
**...Rockin' my Disney Side since 1972 ... Now taking on the holidays, one photo (and one Superthread!) at a time...**

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #79
Carolwoodpr
DIS Veteran
 
Carolwoodpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I will go on record saying that I love all of the peppermint goodness that is abundant during the holiday season. I love peppermint ice cream (and, yes, you can get it any time of year at Baskin Robbins but it's more fun to eat it only during the holidays) and I love the peppermint bark samples that Ghirardelli is currently handing out in DCA. I also love peppermint mochas.

I will eat an occasional candy cane if it presents itself to me - the small kind that may be randomly attached to a gift or in a Christmas card or in a bowl at the bank or something. I don't eat candy canes often, though. I prefer to have crushed candy canes mixed into other things rather than eat the whole cane by itself.

So, based on that, I would never be one of the ones waiting in line for the giant candy canes at DLR.

However, that said, if I were going to go after one of the coveted DLR candy canes, I would want to watch them being made. I wouldn't want to buy them later without seeing the 'show' that is the candy cane-making process. It's a visual thing - some people like to watch things being crafted. Watching them being made before my eyes would be part of the whole experience for me.

Anyone who saw Guy Fieri's "Guy's Disney Holiday" show (taped in 2008, but shown on Food Network in 2009, 2010 and 2011) will recall that there was a whole segment devoted to those candy canes at DLR and exactly how they are made. Guy was in the kitchen with the confectioners as they created them. So that segment alone must have increased interest in the candy canes enormously!

If you did not see "Guy's Disney Holiday," I'm not sure if it will re-air on Food Network this year. It's unusual for that network to show a Disney-based holiday special for more than 3 years in a row (as I noticed with the Raven Symone WDW holiday special from several years ago), so I would be surprised if they showed it again in 2012 (especially since Candy Palace has relocated since last year, and the whole holiday landscape has changed with the introduction of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street). But I'm sure you can find the show somewhere on the Internet!
I have seen Guy's Disney Holiday, and that is the exact reason I want one of these Candy Canes. So if they give a wrist band, how does that work? Do they offer them to people in some of the lines, or all of the lines. How do I make sure I get a wrist band?
__________________
Carolwoodpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #80
Flutterfly74
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
If you did not see "Guy's Disney Holiday," I'm not sure if it will re-air on Food Network this year. It's unusual for that network to show a Disney-based holiday special for more than 3 years in a row (as I noticed with the Raven Symone WDW holiday special from several years ago), so I would be surprised if they showed it again in 2012 (especially since Candy Palace has relocated since last year, and the whole holiday landscape has changed with the introduction of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street). But I'm sure you can find the show somewhere on the Internet!
It does air this year: Dates & times are on the Foodnetwork website:
Tune In:
Dec 08, 2012
8:00 PM ET/PT
Dec 09, 2012
3:00 AM ET/PT
Dec 09, 2012
3:00 PM ET/PT
Flutterfly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #81
jennameowse
Mouseketeer
 
jennameowse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 240

"candy canes will be every monday and friday in Disneyland and every Thursday and Saturday in DCA at Trolley Treats starting nov 23rd." Found on Mousewait. Also posted is "Wristbands will be distributed at the locations at park opening... The park will open at the same time for everyone." So there will be no MM/EE at whichever park is selling candy canes each date. Hope this helps everyone.
__________________
"A dream is a wish your heart makes."
jennameowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #82
lizdotcom99
Tags Have Been Donated
 
lizdotcom99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Crown Point, IN
Posts: 3,701

Did anybody get a candy cane yet??????? Or does anyone know where wrist bands are distributed?
__________________
lizdotcom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #83
jennameowse
Mouseketeer
 
jennameowse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdotcom99
Did anybody get a candy cane yet??????? Or does anyone know where wrist bands are distributed?
I didn't get one. (Won't be at the park till next month.) but they're supposed to distribute wristbands at whichever location you are buying the candy canes at.
__________________
"A dream is a wish your heart makes."
jennameowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #84
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one
 
ImTooExcitedToSleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9,867

Here's the candy cane info and schedule.


http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/disneyla...Disneyland.htm
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #85
mrslamb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 123

OK dumb question, but as far as taste/texture go are they the same as a regular, store bought candy cane? Or are they better/different? I know it is mostly about the experience but I'm just curious as to what the final product is actually like?
__________________
mrslamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #86
jennameowse
Mouseketeer
 
jennameowse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep
Here's the candy cane info and schedule.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/disneyla...Disneyland.htm
Thanks for the info. Good to have a set(ish) schedule. Looks like I won't be able to get one though. Only day of our trip they're being made is the 18th but there's no way the rest of my family will be willing to head up there that early (we live 1 1/2-2 hours away and I've heard one would need to arrive extremely early to get one.)
__________________
"A dream is a wish your heart makes."
jennameowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #87
aan1701
DIS Veteran
 
aan1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslamb
OK dumb question, but as far as taste/texture go are they the same as a regular, store bought candy cane? Or are they better/different? I know it is mostly about the experience but I'm just curious as to what the final product is actually like?
To me they taste just the same as the same jumbo Candy Cane you get at any store for about $10.00 less than what Disney is charging. Sorry, but this is one of the things that is way over hyped on these boards and I regret falling for that hype last year.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
__________________
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #88
lizdotcom99
Tags Have Been Donated
 
lizdotcom99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Crown Point, IN
Posts: 3,701

I don't think I will even eat mine....It is all about just getting one!!!
__________________
lizdotcom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #89
ErikdaRed
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 674

So if you are doing this I suggest going to DCA. Managed to get three bands without really trying this morning
ErikdaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #90
ErikdaRed
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 674

Double post
ErikdaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: