Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #31
rex008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
luvin all your pics especially the ride photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I've just caught up with your wonderful TR
I particularly enjoyed the post on your camera kit, I'm trying to learn more and dabble a little in photography so found this really interesting
I must admit that when I'm at Disney, I tend not to use my DSLR and just pop a point and shoot in my bag but your photos make me think I should make the effort!
Looking forward to reading more
Thanks both. I think my plan worked reasonably well; that is, travel light for week 1, and take more time (and weight) for photography on week 2. I guess if I was a repeat Disney visitor I might have a different plan, but it worked well for me.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #32
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Hi
Joining your trippie and loving it!!

I second Linda's request NOT to omit all your photo geek info. I'm also relatively new to learning photography properly and LOVE your pics! However I am still clueless with editing and at the moment, trying to choose between LR4, onONe Photo Suite 7 or both (and will need extensive training for whatever I choose!!)

Did you get 6kg only for hand luggage? I can assure you that your gear was in excess of that, lol. How do I know this? I had a similar line up, although I shoot Nikon and their camera bodies and lenses tend to be a lot heavier than Canon's. To give you an idea, I did actually take a (phone) photo of my kit and with the tripod my backpack weighed just under 14 kg, excluding the chargers, battery grip and stash of filters

I love your under water and water ride photos.

And your kids are such great sports at being fabulous subjects for vacation photos which is always a plus.

You were right the first time with the location for Illuminations: it is indeed in Morocco, at the roped off area leading to the boat dock. There are usually CM's with a clip board there from around 7 pm but I can understand your frustration not being able to get information. This is not a well known extra with the cast members as we discovered last year when we were at MK and I realized I had left our vouchers behind. Half an hour at City Hall and nobody had a clue what I was talking about and eventually I just showed room keys and photo ID at the area and the CM there let us in.

Looking forward to the next installment
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #33
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

We have never been to DQ so it was interesting to read what you can do there

The CG sounds as good as ever - we have been a few times on Christmas Day and have always enjoyed it as a special treat. MK afterwards sound great. Looking forward to more
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #34
rex008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Hi
Joining your trippie and loving it!!

I second Linda's request NOT to omit all your photo geek info. I'm also relatively new to learning photography properly and LOVE your pics! However I am still clueless with editing and at the moment, trying to choose between LR4, onONe Photo Suite 7 or both (and will need extensive training for whatever I choose!!)

Did you get 6kg only for hand luggage? I can assure you that your gear was in excess of that, lol. How do I know this? I had a similar line up, although I shoot Nikon and their camera bodies and lenses tend to be a lot heavier than Canon's. To give you an idea, I did actually take a (phone) photo of my kit and with the tripod my backpack weighed just under 14 kg, excluding the chargers, battery grip and stash of filters

I love your under water and water ride photos.

And your kids are such great sports at being fabulous subjects for vacation photos which is always a plus.

You were right the first time with the location for Illuminations: it is indeed in Morocco, at the roped off area leading to the boat dock. There are usually CM's with a clip board there from around 7 pm but I can understand your frustration not being able to get information. This is not a well known extra with the cast members as we discovered last year when we were at MK and I realized I had left our vouchers behind. Half an hour at City Hall and nobody had a clue what I was talking about and eventually I just showed room keys and photo ID at the area and the CM there let us in.

Looking forward to the next installment
Thanks for all that. I got LR3 and since upgraded to LR4. I'd say the best way to get the best out of it is to read a book - I found Scott Kelby's to be very helpful indeed, if you can cope with his "wit" .
I did roughly weigh the bag and I think I wasn't much over, but then I didn't put a tripod in and I'd actually moved the tablet to DWs bag at that point.
Thanks for the Illuminations info - I'll know for next time. It's a long walk round WS, twice!
Having a waterproof camera certainly opened up some interesting possibilities. Would recommend it if you're likely to hit pools or waterparks a few times.
The kids are reasonably happy to be photographed, most of the time. I'm not showing the outtakes where that's sometimes not the case . They enjoyed suggesting new ideas for the ride photos - the EE one they came up with themselves, although it was plagiarised from a PP photographer who'd had us do the kissing/hiding thing a few days before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
We have never been to DQ so it was interesting to read what you can do there

The CG sounds as good as ever - we have been a few times on Christmas Day and have always enjoyed it as a special treat. MK afterwards sound great. Looking forward to more
DQ surprised us a bit - we'd not read much about it (apart from that it was a big free arcade). Probably hadn't particularly sought out any more than that, but I thought I'd write it up in more detail as I hadn't really seen that done before. I thought a review of the other "headline" stuff in there might be useful. There are certainly some things we enjoyed more than others.

I've done the Day 10 photos, but not written up yet.

Still doing the Day 11 photos. Got >630 down to about 80 good keepers, which is still too many really. But getting through processing them and trying to be even more selective. I might break that post into 2 though - AK in the morning, and MK for dinner and MNSSHP.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
rex008
Mouseketeer

Day 10 - Tuesday 20/10 - Hollywood Studios, Mama Melrose, Fantasmic

Our ADR today was a Fantasmic meal package booked at Mama Melrose. There are time restrictions on this, and the latest I'd been able to book it was 4.30pm, which seems rather horribly early for dinner, but we just had to make sure we had an early lunch as well to cope.
Given our rather late night the night before, we didn't arrive for rope drop, but we did manage to make it for about 10am, which wasn't too bad. FP for TSM were still available, albeit for about 2pm. We hadn't really done shows on the first day here apart from Indiana Jones, so we'd got a couple to see. Of course the kids wanted to do their favourites - ToT and RnR, and we managed a couple of rides of each over the day.
Weird wide-angle of RnR guitar:

We watched the Beauty and the Beast live stage show, which I thought was very well done. How they keep this energy up for 4-6 performances every day 365 days a year I don't know, but it was very impressive.

We then had lunch, around 11.45am - looked in the ABC Commissary and it was packed. So headed back to the Backlot Express, where we went on the first DHS day and it was much better. Plenty of seating here. Was amused all lunch by the sight of two CMs struggling to refill a tomato ketchup dispenser. Literally working on it the entire time I was eating. It was like watching my grandparents try to fix a VCR . I don't mean to be age-ist or anything, but...

Then headed off to the Stunt Show. There were only 2 shows today and this was at 1.30, but it pretty much filled up; was amazed how full it got. We got a reasonable seat, although we were blocked by a pillar a little bit. We all enjoyed the show, although it could be a bit slow between the stunts while they were setting up. Some impressive stuff though.

We came out and did the TSM FP (I got the car high score of 182000, which I'm quite proud of for only the 2nd time on it!). We then did MuppetVision, which we hadn't done the first day. This was entertaining. I'm a big Muppets fan. No photos inside, but I like this detail on the building:

Think we did Star Tours again at this point. Enjoyed it again.
Headed to Mama Melrose for dinner. We were seated fairly quickly, and I was quite surprised how busy it was, even at that time. One advantage of the Fantasmic package is that even though it's a DP booking, you get a starter. For this, we had 2 of the shared antipasto between the 4 of us. Given how fussy the kids are, at least they kind of ate the ham/salami on it. I did end up eating 4 people's worth of cheese and pickles myself. And I wonder why I'm the size I am!
Kids had flatbreads (pizza), think DW had steak, I fancied something different so had the grilled tuna (rare). I love a nice bit of tuna, and this was pretty decent. We finished off with desserts, although my memory is failing me again. Probably something chocolatey for the kids (safe bet)!
We got the voucher for the Fantasmic entry at the end of the meal, with a suggestion to be there 30 mins early (7pm for 7.30 start).
Had some time and we had a quick wander round the Art of Animation bit, watched the presentation, but would have liked to spend more time there. We'd got fastpasses for RnR and ended up doing that about 6.30, on a stomach still full of food. Now that's a thrill ride! All came off intact though .
Headed to Fantasmic via the package entrance (next to ToT entry) and wound our way up to the special seats. It was probably already at least 1/2 full by this point, but people hadn't shuffled up into the spaces, so we got pretty decent seats about 1/3 way up and quite close to the centre, which was good.
About 7pm they did some audience-participation pre-show stuff, with various cast members chatting around the audience. This was a good way to pass the time rather than just sitting there with bored kids, so we really appreciated this.
How to review Fantasmic? I'd read mixed reports before going, so my expectations were not high. Initially I thought it was excellent, the water effects are very good, and there are some good effects when they do live stuff on the mountain. But considering it's only a 30 minute show, it doesn't half seem to drag! The water projection seems to go on and on and on, and the live stuff seems quite disjointed. That may be the intention I suppose, it is supposed to be a representation of a dream after all, but it seemed a bit weird.

Overall, I would say I'm glad I saw it, and I would recommend people who haven't seen it to go, but I don't think it's something I'd bother with again. May book the dinner package just for the value of adding a starter to a DP credit though! And then hand the seating ticket off to a "lucky" family .
This was to be our last visit to DHS, so we had a look round the shops - think the kids bought some souvenirs, and then we headed back for an early-ish night to catch up on some sleep. We knew it would be another long day tomorrow (MNSSHP!).

Tomorrow - AK, safari with SLR means ++++photos. MNSSHP!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
rex008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Yet more glorious photos
Thanks!

I've been debating with myself about using 640x480 res in the TRs, or 800x600. Don't want to fill the page with too many big photos. I changed in the last post to the bigger format, don't know if anyone noticed. Anyway, think I'll stick with that, seems to work ok.

Although Day 11 is likely to be full of photos, so maybe the wrong time! I'm still working through them. I'm trying to pick the best ones from the AK safari, out of a lot.

[geek]All the photos are clickable to a 1280 res on picasa, btw. Picasa is a bit of a pain in that it doesn't give you BBCode for clickable images, but there is a Chrome addon that does it for you relatively simply.[/geek]
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #38
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

You seemed to get a lot done today. I know what you mean about Fantasmic - we didn't queue for it the last time and I haven't really factored it in to this years visit.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #39
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Another great day and more fantastic pictures

I am VERY impressed with your Beauty and the Beast show and Fantasmic photos. I share your views on Fantasmic. We have watched it twice: once opting to skip the worst of the waiting time and enter for standing room only (still a 30 minute wait as the show used to only be on twice a week then) and last year we went with friends and sucked up the 90 minute advance queuing time for a fairly good seat. Having seen your photos however, I might add that to my list next trip purely to attempt some shots.

We did the 4.30 LMA show this year in September so very low crowds and got there about an hour in advance and still ended up sitting more than halfway back. I also picked a pillar view seat (not any choice really) with a HUGE ugly fan mounted to it so lots of cropping of the right hand side of some of the images where I didn't quite manage to miss the fan

I like the larger size photos, just in case this is going with a majority decision - thought I'd get my vote in. I can't wait to hear about your MNSSHP experience. It's such a blast
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Just caught up with your trippie.......some nice photos
Another Canon user here who is keen on EXIF info
Been a loyal Photoshop user for a good few years now, but very keen to have a look at LR4 on the Mac
Keep 'em coming!
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
rex008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
You seemed to get a lot done today. I know what you mean about Fantasmic - we didn't queue for it the last time and I haven't really factored it in to this years visit.
Indeed. I suspect it would be a great time to do other rides around DHS. Must suck a lot of the queues away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Another great day and more fantastic pictures

I am VERY impressed with your Beauty and the Beast show and Fantasmic photos. I share your views on Fantasmic. We have watched it twice: once opting to skip the worst of the waiting time and enter for standing room only (still a 30 minute wait as the show used to only be on twice a week then) and last year we went with friends and sucked up the 90 minute advance queuing time for a fairly good seat. Having seen your photos however, I might add that to my list next trip purely to attempt some shots.

We did the 4.30 LMA show this year in September so very low crowds and got there about an hour in advance and still ended up sitting more than halfway back. I also picked a pillar view seat (not any choice really) with a HUGE ugly fan mounted to it so lots of cropping of the right hand side of some of the images where I didn't quite manage to miss the fan

I like the larger size photos, just in case this is going with a majority decision - thought I'd get my vote in. I can't wait to hear about your MNSSHP experience. It's such a blast
Thanks again. I'll keep the photos at the bigger size I think.
The BaTB show gets quite a lot of natural light on it, which of course makes it easier to shoot, even with a longer, slower lens, which means you can get some really nice close-ups. Fantasmic, as expected, was a bit of a nightmare. Too far away to use my 17-50 F/2.8 lens, and my longer lens has a much slower max aperture, especially when zoomed in (F/6.3). So I let the ISO go up to 6400 and tried to hold as steady as possible. That Tamron lens has got pretty good stabilisation on it though, which helps, but there were a lot of instant-delete photos from that evening. I'd love to invest in a 70-200 F/2.8, but that's rather an expense too far at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISWolves View Post
Just caught up with your trippie.......some nice photos
Another Canon user here who is keen on EXIF info
Been a loyal Photoshop user for a good few years now, but very keen to have a look at LR4 on the Mac
Keep 'em coming!
I've not really got into photo editing beyond the basics possible in LR (red-eye, dust spots, and simple adjustment brushes), but it's something I'd like to do if I ever get more spare time . As a tool for sorting and processing large numbers of images though, LR is really excellent.

Had very little time for photo work over the last couple of days, but I will get there, promise!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

I took a monopod with me this year and found I got some decent shots with slowish exposure.
It also saves aching arms when shooting video over people's heads

EDIT......22/11/12

Amazon deal.....

Lightroom 4 for Windows / Mac = £79.99 inc delivery

Lightroom 4 Student / Teacher edition = £44.99

Last edited by DISWolves; 11-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #43
rex008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISWolves View Post
I took a monopod with me this year and found I got some decent shots with slowish exposure.
It also saves aching arms when shooting video over people's heads

EDIT......22/11/12

Amazon deal.....

Lightroom 4 for Windows / Mac = £79.99 inc delivery

Lightroom 4 Student / Teacher edition = £44.99
I took a tripod with me, and then never used it . It even has the ability to detach one leg and the head, and turn into a monopod, and I never took that with me either. Always seemed like a bit of a hindrance given the number of rides we were going on. Probably should have done.

It's a good deal for LR4 - bear in mind with the Education version that they do check before issuing a licence key - you have to scan/fax in some educational ID and it take a couple of days to come through. Fortunately DW works in education so she's the official LR "owner" in the house .

I've done the Day 11 photos! Now I just need some time to write up the day.

Just as a teaser, I'll put up my 2 favourite photos of the day:

Meooow:

The ghost of the headless horseman!

The above shot was almost accidental, but it's one of my favourites from the whole holiday, despite being technically rubbish .
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #44
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Really enjoying your TR and photos you've got some fab ones.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #45
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Love the two teaser shots - can't wait to see the rest of the day

The shot of the headless horseman is fantastic, you really get a sense of speed and movement - it's certainly not rubbish!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: