Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
debidigidelights

Escaping Mardi Gras off to Disney

Escaping from Mardi Gras

The one and only time I have been to WDW was in February 2002 for hubby's and my 25th Anniversary. It was WDW's "100 Years of Magic" Celebration

Being as out of state crowds were light because of 9 11 we were able to upgrade with many discounts. So we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.

Loved it! Hubby always wanted to go back to the Wilderness, But this time we are going value with alot more of us going. Spreading a little of the magic around.

Last time hubby surprised me with dinner at Cape May, and an engagement ring which I had never had before.

I think he will find it hard to top that one for our 36th Anniversary.

Last edited by debidigidelights; 11-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.
debidigidelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
debidigidelights

On with our story

On with our story

Being as I was recovering from knee replacement surgery we had a mild experience at WDW. That's what I love about Disney, a little of everything for everybody.

This trip we will be traveling with Daughter, Son in law and two 12 year olds. So as where we didn't take in the thrill rides, I am sure that will not be the case this time.

next post a little of what we have planned for this trip........

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
debidigidelights

on with our trip

On with our trip

Back about a month ago I started thinking what to do for our Anniversary this year. I have been house bound for over a year now (third surgery on my foot-but that's another story) So our trip planning has to be somewhere where I can ride a scooter to get around. I started pondering about WDW again. Did some checking without telling hubby. To my surprise the P/S/D came up for February.

My grandkids have never been, so started checking for all of us. Well if hubby and I could do without the Wilderness Lodge WOW I could probally afford for all of us to go.. So checked into when the kids could get off for Mardi Gras and WOW they are off the whole week if we go just a tad earlier in February.

So needless to say after all the growups checking with their work schedules (a task in itself) and me nagging "prices going up" Got everyone on task and now we are booked for the Sports.

So we will be off to Disney February 8th, staying a night in Pennsacola, then ride right in to WDW on the 9th.

I have booked an ADR for Cape May on our first night there, If I can't give hubby the Wilderness Lodge I can give him a repeat at the Cape May.

One of my hubby's favorite things about the Lodge was the little guard shack, and that the guard came out for every car and said "Welcome home sir" He tought that was so cool.

Maybe I can get one of the kids to stand outside our room door and say Welcome home. hehe

Last edited by debidigidelights; 11-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Subbing! We're going the 5th-9th, just my daughter and I! Sounds like you have a great plan going! We're doing FD at PoP (which is actually just a 10$ difference from S/P/D b/c they make you get a preferred room). Did you upgrade to regular dining? My dd and I decided to just do CS this time, cheaper and faster!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
debidigidelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Subbing! We're going the 5th-9th, just my daughter and I! Sounds like you have a great plan going! We're doing FD at PoP (which is actually just a 10$ difference from S/P/D b/c they make you get a preferred room). Did you upgrade to regular dining? My dd and I decided to just do CS this time, cheaper and faster!
Have a good trip, you will be leaving as we arrive. And YES I did go with the dining plan. Easier and that way I know hubby and I will have a bit of time to relax after following around two 12 year olds. But D and SIL are going also, so hopefully they will help keeping track of the kids.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
debidigidelights

Got our maps and our DVD, Looks like I know what the grandkids will be doing this afternoon!

For my planning update:
I have reserved our car, got a seven seater with luggage rack, so we all can go in one vehicle. Booked that early also, because of Mardi Gras lots of out of towners here that fly in and rent cars for the week. So another thing checked off my list.

My ADR's are all done also. Will update in another post. Have to check again that they are everything that everyone wants.

Can't wait for the magic to begin.

Had to add this pic. Hubby, GD and SIL are all deer hunters, so I got a kick out of this one. In fact they are on their way back home now and picking up GS on the way.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
debidigidelights

APR's

APR's
Feb 9th Saturday
Cape May 6:55 pm (Hubbys Favorite)

Feb 10th Sunday
Teppan Edo 5:10 pm (Daughters Favorite)

Feb 11 th Monday
Hollywood & Vine 3:30 pm

Feb 12th Tuesday
Rainforest Downtown Disney 6:00 pm (SIL Favorite)

Feb 13th Wednesday
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show 8:00 pm (My Choice)

Feb 14th Thursday
No Dining Plans

Countdown to the magic

Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Urugami
DISdad #690

Also Subbing...
We're going 10-16 Feb, not so much to escape Mardi Gras, as to make up for a less-than-ideal trip this past April (long story, and worthy of its own TR if I wasn't trying to suppress those memores )
We'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside, a change from our usual Caribbean Beach (kinda strange that we've been there enough times to have a 'usual' resort).
And yeah, they say "Welcome Home" at CBR, too..
Sounds like you have a nice trip planned.. hope you have a great time!
DISdad #690

ME (Chris) DW DS(8)
76,82,83,86DL,92DL,93,95,96,01,01/02,01/03,06/03,01/09ASM,11/09CBR,11/10CBR,04/12CBR,02/13POR,03/14CBR
Urugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
debidigidelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urugami View Post
Also Subbing...
We're going 10-16 Feb, not so much to escape Mardi Gras, as to make up for a less-than-ideal trip this past April (long story, and worthy of its own TR if I wasn't trying to suppress those memores )
We'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside, a change from our usual Caribbean Beach (kinda strange that we've been there enough times to have a 'usual' resort).
And yeah, they say "Welcome Home" at CBR, too..
Sounds like you have a nice trip planned.. hope you have a great time!
Sorry for the not so fond memories. bummer
I wish we could have gotten into the Riverside, wasn't available on the plan by the time I got everybody to ok the time off from work. But that's ok we won't be spending to much time at the resort, and I will enjoy having the additional family onboard.

Hopeing your Feb experience is better tan your last
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
debidigidelights

On with our Plans

Feb 9th Saturday Arrival will be late afternoon, so only planning on settling in and going to dinner. Might ride the monarail around giving the kids an overall look see. So many things hubby and I didn't get to see or do on our last trip. With knee surgery I got tired real easy, so it was a real laid back experience. This one will be for me also, but have DD and SIL to take up the slack.

Feb 10th Sunday We are going to start out our adventures with Epcot. With a slow build up to Magic Kingdom, plans to come

Feb 11 th Monday . plans to come

Feb 12th Tuesday Taking a break from the parks, get to sleep a bit later if need be. A little shopping for the grand kids, A trip to the rainforest for SIL.

Feb 13th Wednesday . Picked this as a day before Magic Kingdom because it closes early. Never got to go here last trip. Had to take a day of rest. Will make sure we go this time.

Feb 14th Thursday Kids dreams come true. Magic day. Totally open on things to do and where to eat.

Last edited by debidigidelights; 11-21-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Hyonlyf
...always with a book...

We're escaping Mardi Gras too! And celebrating birthdays Feb 6-13th staying at POR with FD yea!! I am travelling with two 13 y/o girls, are your grandchildren twins too?

Hyonlyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
debidigidelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyonlyf View Post
We're escaping Mardi Gras too! And celebrating birthdays Feb 6-13th staying at POR with FD yea!! I am travelling with two 13 y/o girls, are your grandchildren twins too?
No they are not twins. GD is from my daughter, and GS is from my son. They are 3 months apart in age. We are still not positive GS is coming with us, hopefully will know in a couple of days, but I am making all plans including him. Wish us luck.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Love the pre- trip report. Maybe we will cross paths at All Star Sports! We will also be leaving on the 8th, but we will stay in Gulfport. (We have a couple more hours to drive than you- wish I could make it to Pensacaola.) But we can't wait to get there on the 9th. We havent told our kids yet -we plan to surprise them on Christmas with the news! You should have alot of fun with those 12 year olds. My kids are 11 & 13 and I can't keep up with them. LOL
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
debidigidelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558 View Post
Love the pre- trip report. Maybe we will cross paths at All Star Sports! We will also be leaving on the 8th, but we will stay in Gulfport. (We have a couple more hours to drive than you- wish I could make it to Pensacaola.) But we can't wait to get there on the 9th. We havent told our kids yet -we plan to surprise them on Christmas with the news! You should have alot of fun with those 12 year olds. My kids are 11 & 13 and I can't keep up with them. LOL
Wow maybe we will cross paths... I can't wait to get there.

Oh my how can you possibly keep it a secret till Christmas? Here everyone knows except GS, and he is staying here this week for Thanksgiving (I am biting my tongue all day long) hopefully his trip will come to be and I can let out the secret. Should know over the next couple of days. I just don't want to get him excited until I know for sure he can come.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
shell8558
DIS Veteran

It's extemely hard!!! We usually go to Disney the day they get out of school , so they are not suspecting it- so that is good. But I do find myself talking to my husband and stopping midstream because I dont want to reveal something. HA! My sister is also coming with us, with her husband and daughter, so we do alot of texting!! I'm just so excited I can go to disney and not sweat to death!!! It should be so much fun with half the state of Louisiana there!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: