Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #1111
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

PLEASE....this thread is getting off topic again. Please keep discussion on this thread to possible release dates of the 2014 itineraries.

Please start other threads for other topics like Costco Travel and other port discussions, etc.

Thank you.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #1112
Jane1967
Disney Dreamer

When DCL does FINALLY post their new dates, what time of day does that usually happen? Don't want to miss my chance!

Disney Wonder February 2009
Disney World February 2009
Disney Wonder June 2009
Disney Dream June 2011
Disney Fantasy March 2013
Disney World May 2014
Disney Fantasy May 2015
Jane1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #1113
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Edited to add:

Oops, I promise I didn't see the stay on topic message until AFTER I typed all this out and posted it.

If anyone knows of a thread talking about Ensenada I'd be glad to move the info there and delete here. I just hate seeing Ensenada getting universally slammed in this thread when our experience was so different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL Repeaters View Post
Just my personal opinion, but Ensenada is not a family friendly port of call. Wish we stayed on the ship during the recent Hawaiian cruise that stopped in Ensenada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Magic View Post

Totally agree. We did the Pixar Cruise and there was a stop in Ensenada. We didn't feel safe. We went or a port adventure for Taste of Mexico. We took a brief walk around town. We were approached by multiple people asking for handouts, selling or trying to push us into a store. We couldn't wait to get on the bus to get back to the ship.

I didn't see anything withing walking distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
Totally agree. We were on the California coast cruise in October and wish we hadn't even gotten off the ship in Endanada. It was not family friendly at all and we ended up going straight back to the ship (after a bus ride)

I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness, but we had a great time in Ensenada!

We hired a cab to take us to Las Canadas to do the canopy tour. We've done several similar tours, both through DCL and on our own, and we thought Las Canadas was one of the better courses we've been on, and it was by far the most affordable. ~ $12 per person.

Our cab driver waited for us while we were at Las Canadas and then was more than willing to take us anywhere else we wanted to go. He said most tourists head straight to La Bufadora, but we had no interest in that, so we just had him drop us off in the shopping district.

DS was all about getting a taste of some local food so we hit La Guerrerense on the corner of 1st & Alvarado and I highly recommend it.

As far as the shopping area in general... Yes, there were street vendors and shop keepers trying to get people to buy, but I didn't feel it was any worse than many other touristy port areas we've visited. And yes, if you're near Hussongs or Papas & Beer or the like you'll see and hear the party crowd, but again no different than other ports.

We walked back to the ship from the shopping area, so taking the bus there and/or back isn't really necessary unless you want to.

I don't know that I'd book a stand alone vacation in Ensenada, but I'd love to go back for a port stop again, and I'd definitely be getting off the ship!

Anyway, just wanted to provide a different perspective.

Last edited by cats mom; 11-19-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: See above
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #1114
dittymau
Earning My Ears

Just off the Disney Magic and booked a placeholder cruise, was told the 2014 dates should be available "early December"... Have my TA and the record and she will contact me ASAP when 2014 dates are out...
dittymau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #1115
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats mom
Edited to add:

Oops, I promise I didn't see the stay on topic message until AFTER I typed all this out and posted it.

If anyone knows of a thread talking about Ensenada I'd be glad to move the info there and delete here. I just hate seeing Ensenada getting universally slammed in this thread when our experience was so different.

I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness, but we had a great time in Ensenada!

We hired a cab to take us to Las Canadas to do the canopy tour. We've done several similar tours, both through DCL and on our own, and we thought Las Canadas was one of the better courses we've been on, and it was by far the most affordable. ~ $12 per person.

Our cab driver waited for us while we were at Las Canadas and then was more than willing to take us anywhere else we wanted to go. He said most tourists head straight to La Bufadora, but we had no interest in that, so we just had him drop us off in the shopping district.

DS was all about getting a taste of some local food so we hit La Guerrerense on the corner of 1st & Alvarado and I highly recommend it.

As far as the shopping area in general... Yes, there were street vendors and shop keepers trying to get people to buy, but I didn't feel it was any worse than many other touristy port areas we've visited. And yes, if you're near Hussongs or Papas & Beer or the like you'll see and hear the party crowd, but again no different than other ports.

We walked back to the ship from the shopping area, so taking the bus there and/or back isn't really necessary unless you want to.

I don't know that I'd book a stand alone vacation in Ensenada, but I'd love to go back for a port stop again, and I'd definitely be getting off the ship!

Anyway, just wanted to provide a different perspective.
You should start an Ensenada thread and move your post in case anyone ever wonders what to do there. It's great you had such a good experience there. People need to know. I had no idea.

On the topic, I'm hoping for something, anything round trip out of the Port of Los Angeles when kids are out of school. Realistically my only close local hope will be Alaska. I hope they offer that in 2014. I'm saving my on board booking for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #1116
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
You should start an Ensenada thread and move your post in case anyone ever wonders what to do there. It's great you had such a good experience there. People need to know. I had no idea.

On the topic, I'm hoping for something, anything round trip out of the Port of Los Angeles when kids are out of school. Realistically my only close local hope will be Alaska. I hope they offer that in 2014. I'm saving my on board booking for it.

Just found one and moved my entire post over there. I was going to delete it here and just leave a smiley face or something, but I guess that makes no sense now. It's all good though.

So rumor from the Magic is early December for 2014 dates huh? Better start getting that deposit $$$ together folks!

How's that for staying on topic?
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #1117
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
PLEASE....this thread is getting off topic again. Please keep discussion on this thread to possible release dates of the 2014 itineraries.

Please start other threads for other topics like Costco Travel and other port discussions, etc.

Thank you.

MJ
Agree - sorry, easy to get off topic! Here is the Costco thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2930293&page=9

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #1118
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittymau View Post
Just off the Disney Magic cruise, was told the 2014 dates should be available "early December"... ...

Last week , the bus driver going to DTD said the samething. ...............so this has to be correct.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1119
ScottakaMickey
Mouseketeer

I haven't been through the whole thread, but am curious how does DCL handle the Gold/Platinum booking advantage? We just turned Gold and was wondering if they send out emails, or how has it worked in the past. Also, what happens if you are using a TA?

Scott

ScottakaMickey
ScottakaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #1120
m1ckeym0use1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husurdady View Post
Last week , the bus driver going to DTD said the samething. ...............so this has to be correct.
Agreed, they always know the inside scoop... and a bus driver told me the new ports would include Las Vegas and a stop at the Grand Canyon.
m1ckeym0use1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #1121
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ckeym0use1 View Post
Agreed, they always know the inside scoop... and a bus driver told me the new ports would include Las Vegas and a stop at the Grand Canyon.
Cool, I used a bus driver to book that cruise already.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1122
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottakaMickey View Post
I haven't been through the whole thread, but am curious how does DCL handle the Gold/Platinum booking advantage? We just turned Gold and was wondering if they send out emails, or how has it worked in the past. Also, what happens if you are using a TA?

Scott
You'll probably find out the "scoop" here first. If you're using a travel agent, just tell him/her what you want and have them book it for you. When the new bookings open, DCL is so busy, it's simpler and faster to have a TA take care of it.

Unless DCL is sailing somewhere brand new, bookings are open to everyone the first day, regardless of castaway cay status.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #1123
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
You'll probably find out the "scoop" here first. If you're using a travel agent, just tell him/her what you want and have them book it for you. When the new bookings open, DCL is so busy, it's simpler and faster to have a TA take care of it.

Unless DCL is sailing somewhere brand new, bookings are open to everyone the first day, regardless of castaway cay status.
Disagree..

A TA will have multiple reservations to transfer over. They'll be able to do one at a time. If you are the last one on that list, then it could take some time. Also, not sure if they can do these chances online - I think they have to call in. So more delays until they pick up. And if the TA doesn't start working until 9am, you have another hour delayed.

If you handle the reservation yourself you can start handling at zero time. Even if your call in, you will be the first on the list once you get thru DCL.

My .02...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #1124
hbg4
Ask me where I'm going on my next vacation ? Disney World of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
. And if the TA doesn't start working until 9am, you have another hour delayed.

My .02...
That's probably why it's best to go with a disney cruise expert, I'm sure they know that calls after 8am don't get their clients the rates or cabins that they want.
6 cruises on Disney Magic
9 cruises on Disney Dream
2 cruises on Disney Wonder
1 cruise on the Disney Fantasy
hbg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #1125
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Travel agents have access that the public doesn't.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: