Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #3556
Katesdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmpark View Post
hi all - there are 8 of us and I have a couple of questions if ok. getting to disney prob around 7pmish on a sunday after a 9 hour flight. wondering what would be a good place to go on the first night to eat. also, and apologies in advance for this, but being English we are not used to giving 18% gratuities for restaraunts. I'm happy to give 10% as we normally do here in UK, but have noticed if 8 of us get table together they force us to pay 18$ tip on top - can we book 2 tables of 4? we have booked the holdiays 'seperately' i.e. under two family names and 2 credit cards.
I am glad to welcome you to the thread, especially since you are a newbie. Getting in at seven with a party of eight, you will want to head into Epcot and check out the Rose and Crown in the UK paviliion (thinking fireworks display at 9 or 9:30). Make a reservation, it will be needed. If not interested in walking the five minutes to the UK after flying for nine hours to get away from there, then may I suggest either Beaches and Cream or Captain's Grill for some good old American light fare?

Sorry about this, but get use to the way we tip in the colonies. Remember, we won the war. 18% to 20% is standard in the States because the way the servers are compensated. Their salaries are based on the assumption that they will be "earning" the tip. If you short them, it will not benefit them or you in the long run.

Welcome and happy planning
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #3557
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl61 View Post
Have just changed our trip!! We are now staying at BC Villas in a 2 bedroom from 9/7/13 till 9/11/13 and then switching to 2 rooms at BC CL from 9/11 till 9/15. We have never stayed at either the Villas or the BC. Can anyone recommend a good location for the Villa? We really don't care about the view but would probably prefer something in a quiet location, not sure what to request for the on-line check-in. Thanks for your help.
This is a good map of BCV. I would suggest something at the end of the halls and away from the pool.

http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/

Do not do online checkin and take a copy of the map with you as you check in to see where your room is. If not satisfactory ask about any openings closer to your needs. But also understand that the BCV's stays pretty booked up and they have a lot less flexibility of moving you around at checkin.

Quote:
hi all - new to this site - I'm staying at the beach club next july/august and have the dining plan.

great thread lost of good info.

now, there are 8 of us and I have a couple of questions if ok.

getting to disney prob around 7pmish on a sunday after a 9 hour flight. wondering what would be a good place to go on the first night to eat. probably best to stay in hotel or boardwalk perhaps? We have either a quick dining or table dining credit to use. nothing too fancy perhaps for first night as we may be tired?

also, and apologies in advance for this, but being English we are not used to giving 18% gratuities for restaraunts. I'm happy to give 10% as we normally do here in UK, but have noticed if 8 of us get table together they force us to pay 18$ tip on top - can we book 2 tables of 4? we have booked the holdiays 'seperately' i.e. under two family names and 2 credit cards.
Welcome elmpark!

There are some great answers to a similar question on page 236 about late evening dining. And I don't see why you can't split up your parties. They do print the suggested amount on your check and it is customary. I'm thinking they put 18% and 20%.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #3558
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmpark
hi all - new to this site - I'm staying at the beach club next july/august and have the dining plan.

getting to disney prob around 7pmish on a sunday after a 9 hour flight. wondering what would be a good place to go on the first night to eat. probably best to stay in hotel or boardwalk perhaps? We have either a quick dining or table dining credit to use. nothing too fancy perhaps for first night as we may be tired?

also, and apologies in advance for this, but being English we are not used to giving 18% gratuities for restaraunts. I'm happy to give 10% as we normally do here in UK, but have noticed if 8 of us get table together they force us to pay 18$ tip on top - can we book 2 tables of 4? we have booked the holdiays 'seperately' i.e. under two family names and 2 credit cards.
There is the Marketplace in Beachclub. Others will have more suggestions. Beaches is Table service, but it is mostly sandwiches, burgers, salads and ice cream. There is however, often a long wait to get in and no advanced reservations are available.

As for gratuities, this applies to table service or buffets. Unless the service is substandard it is very poor form to tip less than 15% for a small party or 18% for a large party. Wait staff in the US generally get paid less than $3.00/hour so you would be negatively impacting their financial status. Not to mention the waitstaff will not think very highly of you. Remember to calculate the gratuity (if Disney doesn't do it for you) before tax. My standard (which is pretty common here in the US) is 15% for mediocre service, 18% for good service, 20% or more for exceptional service.

I always try to adapt to other countries' customs when visiting them. Creates good will and cuts down on misunderstandings.

Last edited by suemom2kay; 11-19-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: DIS app cutoff my post!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #3559
Clarabel
Earning My Ears

Quote:

We have just got back from a 2 week stay at Yacht Club on the dining plan traveling from uk. We arrived at 8pm and because that's 1am body clock time we really didn't have the energy or want to commit to a meal. We used counter service credits to get some food from the marketplace and took it back to our room to settle in which was casual and flexible. It was also a good chance to pick up our refillable mugs and to scope out the amenities too.

With regards to the tipping, although it hurts (!) I think you just have to suck it up. It's not fair to penalize the server (most of whom offer excellent service) just because we usually tip 10% here in UK. In the US the tip is not just a bonus for good service but forms the basis of the server's earnings, that's why it's not really discretionary. Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #3560
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
I'm turning, I'm turning!! 3 weeks to go. If I can get past Thanksgiving and all the Holiday preparations I think I'll make it!

~NM
Wow that trip came up fast!

You better bring us back some pictures!

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #3561
floridagirl61
Mouseketeer

MickeyT - Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I will wait and check-in in person. I have printed the room number layouts and will use them as a guide.

TO MANY DAY TRIPS TO COUNT, SENIOR NIGHT '79, WL '96, CS '00, ASMU '07, ASMU '08, POP '09, POP '10, BW CL '10, ASMU '11, BC VILLAS '13, BC CL '13, AOA '13, BC CL '14 (Magical upgrade to the Presidential Suite)
Presidential Suite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhh5Z6bjjg

Our Best Disney Vacation Yethttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178111

Fifield Family Food Reviews and Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3175535
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #3562
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS View Post
Is he looking to buy or rent? There are some great deals out there right now for buying. A six year old house in our development that was built for a little over $200,000 just sold for $130,000. The owner got transferred. And you can build brand new starting at $160,000 in our area ... that's a 3 bedroom/2 bath with normal size lot. We wanted to stay away from all the tourist stuff and traffic so that's why we're where we are ... plus we like the lakes, hills and orange orchards!
We will be buying-just makes more sense. We have looked at prices. They are great!! I think he's more looking at a condo though in case the job (commuting) doesn't work out. He will be commuting back and forth so not sure how this will all play out. Although the houses are almost the same price as a condo
I think we just want to make sure we have a vacation home for a while if he needs to move back home permanently.
This is all just overwhelming to me right now.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3563
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
I'm turning, I'm turning!! 3 weeks to go. If I can get past Thanksgiving and all the Holiday preparations I think I'll make it!

~NM
woohoo! Don't forget to pack the Turkey Leg hat
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #3564
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarabel View Post
We have just got back from a 2 week stay at Yacht Club on the dining plan traveling from uk. We arrived at 8pm and because that's 1am body clock time we really didn't have the energy or want to commit to a meal. We used counter service credits to get some food from the marketplace and took it back to our room to settle in which was casual and flexible. It was also a good chance to pick up our refillable mugs and to scope out the amenities too.

With regards to the tipping, although it hurts (!) I think you just have to suck it up. It's not fair to penalize the server (most of whom offer excellent service) just because we usually tip 10% here in UK. In the US the tip is not just a bonus for good service but forms the basis of the server's earnings, that's why it's not really discretionary. Hope this helps
I second picking up a quick service meal, either at Marketplace, of if you feel like a short walk to stretch your legs, along the Boardwalk. They have a take out pizza window, and other options.
I know that when we fly in from the west coast, it's a long enough flight, and we just don't feel like a sit down dinner.

As for tipping, when in Rome.........
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #3565
merriwthr
Mouseketeer

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas and the photos... really helps a lot. At least now I can convince mom to wait until we get to the Beach Club to grab a bite and not at the Airport! Bleeechhh!! lol
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #3566
DisneylandDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandDad View Post
After much discussion, we booked the BC/YC for our trip next Aug./Sept. Please give me your honest views of transportation at this resort. We are a bit worried as we have read some negative reviews on this--mostly the bus to MK, AK, and DTD. I am not as worried about the negative reviews of the bus to DTD as many resorts have that. I am more concerned with the bus service to the MK and AK. Please reassure us--thanks!!
I am bumping this up for some input please--my wife keeps asking what the nice people here on this forum said about the transportation--thanks so much for any help!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3567
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandDad

I am bumping this up for some input please--my wife keeps asking what the nice people here on this forum said about the transportation--thanks so much for any help!!
We may have gotten lucky bit when we were there (YC) in Sept we had a very short wait for a bus to MK and it was not crowded at all, in fact only one other family was on with us. However, after waiting a while for an AK bus we opted to,take the car as the kids were getting cranky and hungry. I think it's one of those things you just never know.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #3568
wdw lifer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandDad

We always take the car around other than Epcot and HS. I have seen lines waiting for the buses but never paid attention to how long the wait is. I just like the ease of use of the rental car. We spend the money on a luxury car so might as well use it.
First trip off site 1989 AS S March 1995 OKW October 1997 WL November 1997 BV December 1999 WL November 2001 POR November 2006 CBR November 2007 CSR November 2008 YC November 2009 YC November 2010 BW November 2011 (no yacht available)
Beach Club CLDecember 2012

Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #3569
ClareH37
DIS Veteran

I'm now less than 2 weeks away from my first BC CL stay and I can't wait

Is Perriwigs open yet?

1992/1994/1995/1997/1999/2001 - Offsite/POFQ * December 2004 - CSR, YC * December 2006 - YC CL * May 2007 - BWI * December 2007 - GF RPC, BWI CL * May 2009 - BWI CL *
May 2010 - BWI CL * November 2011 - BWI CL * December 2012 - BC CL * May 2014 - GF CL & WL CL *
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #3570
elmpark
Earning My Ears

tipping!

thanks for the 'tips' on handling gratuities.

I will go along with what you are saying. But really, in USA they only pay staff $3 an hour? Ouch. Thank god for the minimum wage in the UK. But why not give the people a decent wage and just up the prices by 10% or so, very strange!

And I take it the servers DO get the tip rather than the restaraunt taking some of it? Or is it better leaving the tip as cash?

Don't think I fancy the rose and crown after just leaving the UK lol. will take your advice and stick around beach / yacht club - hopefully we won't need reservations for a hotel restaraunt?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: