Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

We stayed at SOG in Feb and the rooms are nice and big. Our rate was $123 a night. We were there President's Day week so it was during a peak season so it was cheaper to stay at SOG. During a value season sometimes the Disney resort military discount will be cheaper, sometimes not. It depends on which resort you want to stay at and SOG rates depend on rank. We went with another family which was a family of 5 and it was cheaper for them at SOG, so keep in mind the size of family can be a factor also. I saw in one post that someone said there is no Extra Magic Hours if you stay there. Just in case no one has corrected that you do get EMH at SOG. You can verify that by going to there website. It's on the home page. Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that if you are big into Disney theme at a resort you may not like SOG. It was very nice and clean but lacks the Disney feel. Also IMHO the customer service was lacking. Our next trip we are staying at POR but if need be in years to come we would do SOG again if we had to. It's great being able to walk to the Poly and eat or catch the monorail. Another thing you may want to know is SOG lacks food choices. They don't have a food court like Disney resorts and the dining choices they do have are not good. I and many others from the SOG thread would advise you not to eat there. The service is slow, sometimes bad, and the food is not worth the price. The AAFES store is great at SOG. No taxes of course and some good prices on souvenirs.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
nw2this
Earning My Ears

Has anyone ever skipped SOG and the Military discounted Disney resort rooms and tix in favor of one of the free dining plans?

I don't think I'm going to do it but I'm tempted.
nw2this is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw2this
Has anyone ever skipped SOG and the Military discounted Disney resort rooms and tix in favor of one of the free dining plans?

I actually priced the free dining for Dec out against the military discount. There was no significant savings in one over the other. We were originally planning on staying at a Deluxe resort though and changed to Art of Animation. Also for the free dining we couldn't keep our dates or would have had to have two reservations. It might be worth a check for a value resort though or of they don't renew the military offer and you want to book after Sept 28, 2013. I had heard free dining was a better deal but I really think it depends on the situation.

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

We have never gone with the free DDP over the Military discounts because I don't like planing my meals out 6months in advance. The military life style is HIGHLY time regulated, i enjoy taking my watch off on vacation. (I have to remember to put sunscreen on my wrist.)
When are you going and how big is your party?
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
PrincessMommy05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw2this View Post

Honestly it wasn't worth it for us, and if you were using the military 4 day tickets I don't think it would be worth it at all. We had our package booked with the free dining (Finding Nemo Family Suite at AoA) before they announced the new 2012-2013 Salute program, but when that came out we switched to no tickets (we bought the Salute ones), military discount on the room, and paying out of pocket for the dining plan and are coming out $600+ ahead.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can get the DDP staying at SoG. Honestly had I know about the services travel agents offer (without a fee!) I would have booked through one of them and allowed them to do the legwork for me, but all it took was a very helpful castmember on the phone and about an hour to figure out all the different pricing structures and we are all set.
PrincessMommy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
capeseal
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at SOG, POR, CR, and YC over the last few years. I LOVE SOG. With 2 little ones, all of that extra space is great and we found after our POR stay that we aren't big fans of moderate resorts. We always book when they are offering a discount too, which makes it an incredible deal. (We are a Tier 2 rate for about a year more.) They offer some amazing deals in the fall and winter. Two years ago they had a brief promotion offering 50% off in January. (Generally, 30% is the discount during slow seasons.)

I also love the feel of the resort. It isn't overly "Disney" but it is clean and beautiful and quieter than most other resorts we have been to. We always meet friendly people and, as a woman with small children, I have never been allowed to stand, even on a full bus. We often walk over to the Poly to take the monorail to MK and utilize Poly the buses and ferry from time to time. Some folks don't like the transportation at SOG because buses pick up and drop off only once per hour, but we find it easier to plan our exit from the park that way and find that the buses are generally prompt.

We always buy our tickets ahead of time, whether staying at SOG or elsewhere because the lines can be hit or miss to purchase at the resort. You do get to take advantage of EMH, they were able to keep that perk by adding a parking fee of $5 per day. You cannot use the Magical Express, but we've always had a good experience with the shuttle or car service. It just adds about $100 to your trip, unfortunately.

We don't miss the ability to purchase the Disney dining plan because we always eat less than that. We also get lots of staples at the shopette and bring food to supplement our Disney diet so that we don't get sick from all of that eating out. One warning, the food at SOG is pretty bad. The buffets aren't horrible, I'd say on par with other Disney buffets, but the sit down restaurant is terrible. We like to hike over to the Poly late at night for lava cake and sushi take-out if we have to eat a meal at SOG The meal plan is not a better deal than the room discount. You can now get the room discount and buy military tickets and purchase the meal plan, as well. The meal plan simply isn't a value for my family.

Even though it is sometimes a savings, I would never stay at a value or moderate over Shades. The rooms are just so large and comfortable. But, I will admit that I loved the location of YC so much that, if the room discounts continue into 2014, we might save and stay there again.

One more thing, SOG is updating their pools in the coming months, which I think will make them an even better deal. I believe they are adding a waterslide and a splash area for kids.

Lots of great folks over on the SOG resort thread will answer more questions. They are a great and helpful group.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Order66
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It depends on where you prefer to stay and the size and age of your family. We stayed at SOG for our boys first trip. It was nice and I'd stay there again, but rooms don't mean a lot to me. I'd rather go cheaper and more often. For us a value or mod room was cheaper with the discount than the SOG rate. If you prefer deluxe type rooms, SOG will be far less than the disney hotels.

One year I took my 2 sons alone. They were 10 at the time. We did 10 nights at POR, bought the QS plan for 5 nights and 4 nights on the DDP, first night room only so no DP at all and bought 2 of the 4 day tickets for each of us. I saved around $200. The following year my mom joined us, so with 4 "adults", again 10 days at POR and 8 PH day tickets, it was several hundred cheaper to skip the military discounts and book the free dining.

regards
Order66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #23
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildzootv View Post
Anyone researched this?

debating staying at Shades of Green (huge room great price) and getting the military discount tickets

Verses

staying at a WDW resort with the military discount and military tickets and purchasing the dining plan

- is there a discount to the dining plan? Is it worth paying more for a smaller room for the meal plan?

Thanks for helping me think through this - hubby is in afghanistan and just too busy to help research this with me. I totally appreciate feed back.
Just FYI - depending on your spouse's rank, Gaylord Palms gives us a military discount that ends up being cheaper than Shades of Green (you have to call and ask for the military price). We have stayed at SoG many times when the kids were younger and liked that the standard room slept 5. We are a family of 6 but never claimed DD when she just slept in bed with us. I will say one of our favorite room locations was a handicap room on the first floor near the arcade because the patio door opened up to a large green strip of grass for the kids to play. My brother and his family were in the room next to us so it was good for the kids and parents so they could play together while the parents got dressed or drank coffee, etc. we got this area by luck not request.

I have never used the dining plan so can't comment on that.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #24
JessiLynn015
DIS Veteran

We usually do Military discount at Disney Resorts with Armed Forces salute tickets for short trips. For longer trips, we stay at Disney Resorts and use Shades of Green tickets.

We've stayed at SoG once and it just didn't compare to staying at one of Disney's. Disney buses are just WAY more convenient and easier than walking to and from the Poly for the monorail.

WDW--12/04 - 02/05 - 08/09 - 10/09 - 01/10 - 04/10 - 05/10 - 08/10 - 09/10 - 10/10 - 02/11 - 05/11 - 06/11 - 09/11 - 11/11 - 12/12 - 1/13

(me) (DH) (DS)
(Diesel) (Marlee) (Zeus)
JessiLynn015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
JessiLynn015
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Price it out! It really depends on the length of your stay. DH just returned from Afghanistan recently so I planned the trip while he was still gone. So, of course the dates of our trip changed THREE times because of his leave dates changing. We were originally booked at a Cars suite at AoA with 10 day park hoppers and free dining for 3 adults and a baby.

When his dates changed for the third time, they conflicted with free dining so we priced out military discounts and it came out to be $5 cheaper. We did the military discount on a Lion King suite, added dining plan, and are buying 10 day hoppers from SoG.

WDW--12/04 - 02/05 - 08/09 - 10/09 - 01/10 - 04/10 - 05/10 - 08/10 - 09/10 - 10/10 - 02/11 - 05/11 - 06/11 - 09/11 - 11/11 - 12/12 - 1/13

(me) (DH) (DS)
(Diesel) (Marlee) (Zeus)
JessiLynn015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

We have priced it all and compared and SoG has been more expensive each time. We also love the dining plan. It's so nice to have it all taken care of before getting there.
allstonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: