Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

Minnie and Friends during early entry?

I LOVE this board! You are all so great Sounds like Minnie and Friends is the don't miss Since we love Minnie and all the Pooh characters it sounds like it will be great. Since we have AP's and stay offsite I thought it would be cool to do breakfast early on an early entry day since we could then get in early. Has anyone been during early entry?
scrapbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbunny View Post
I LOVE this board! You are all so great Sounds like Minnie and Friends is the don't miss Since we love Minnie and all the Pooh characters it sounds like it will be great. Since we have AP's and stay offsite I thought it would be cool to do breakfast early on an early entry day since we could then get in early. Has anyone been during early entry?
We did. The first PS is 10-15 minutes after MM starts. They let you in the same time as the MM guests with (usually) a very short wait at Gate #1.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2PrincessAbby View Post
Storytellers has a great buffet, and we typically see a ton of the rarer characters, so we love that aspect.
This sounds good to me!

Already been to Surfs Up and Goofys for breakfast and loved both . Would like to try Storytellers for dinner - do they still have characters at dinner? Is that when you went and saw the rarer characters?

Thinking of doing this on a 'down day' when we won't have park tickets (unless they suddenly restore the 6 day passes before we go which seems unlikely)

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread, I am loving all the responses . I do have a question (sorry OP, I don't mean to intrude on your thread), we are DLR newbies that will be heading there in June. My girls love to do the Character meals at WDW and they already said they want to do some when we are in DLR. I know I definitely want to do Minnie and Friends because of all the rave reviews and Storyteller's Cafe because we are staying at VGC. I think we will do Surf's Up with Mickey because we love Lilo (not so much Stitch but we will tolerate him ) and I know that that is the only character meal with Mickey. As far as Ariel's Grotto and Goofy's Kitchen are concerned, are these worth our time? I am on the fence about AG because of the reviews (heard the food is good but not the character interaction) and I am trying to decide on Goofy's because it seems like something we shouldn't miss (kind of like Chef Mickey's at WDW for a first timer). I should also mention that this will more then likely be a once in a life time trip for us to DLR, so I am trying to get the most out of the character meals. If it helps we will be going for 8 nights so we will have lots of days to do these meals and other great restaurant/QS meals . What do you guys think....should we do them all or just the ones I am definite about? Thanks for any help.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
This sounds good to me!

Already been to Surfs Up and Goofys for breakfast and loved both . Would like to try Storytellers for dinner - do they still have characters at dinner? Is that when you went and saw the rarer characters?

Thinking of doing this on a 'down day' when we won't have park tickets (unless they suddenly restore the 6 day passes before we go which seems unlikely)
The only dinner character meals are at Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
This is a great thread, I am loving all the responses . I do have a question (sorry OP, I don't mean to intrude on your thread), we are DLR newbies that will be heading there in June. My girls love to do the Character meals at WDW and they already said they want to do some when we are in DLR. I know I definitely want to do Minnie and Friends because of all the rave reviews and Storyteller's Cafe because we are staying at VGC. I think we will do Surf's Up with Mickey because we love Lilo (not so much Stitch but we will tolerate him ) and I know that that is the only character meal with Mickey. As far as Ariel's Grotto and Goofy's Kitchen are concerned, are these worth our time? I am on the fence about AG because of the reviews (heard the food is good but not the character interaction) and I am trying to decide on Goofy's because it seems like something we shouldn't miss (kind of like Chef Mickey's at WDW for a first timer). I should also mention that this will more then likely be a once in a life time trip for us to DLR, so I am trying to get the most out of the character meals. If it helps we will be going for 8 nights so we will have lots of days to do these meals and other great restaurant/QS meals . What do you guys think....should we do them all or just the ones I am definite about? Thanks for any help.
For AG it depends on whether someone in your party loves the princesses. While I don't think I will do AG again I can't say it was a bad overall experience because DD absolutely LOVED meeting the princesses. She was 3 so just meeting them was magic for her even though they only stop long enough for a picture and to sign her book. For me (being the one who paid the check ) I want a lot more for my money. But our 3 yo thought it was great.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

Ok it is a good thing I have no school this week because I think I am having so much fun planning things Here is the overview with prices that I like http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm#Character

and the DIS Unplugged has had podcast on Goofy's Kitchen and this review of Minnie and Friends http://www.disunplugged.com/2011/05/...ulinary-quest/

It looks like now that Micky is at surfs up Lilo is not there? But if Minnie and Micky are both there this might be a must do. http://www.charactercentral.net/L207...tPCHGrill.aspx
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

Coaches That is why I started this thread! I'm sure my kids will love any of the character meals but I want to know which are worth the price. Seems like Minnie and Friends is totally worth it and some of the others might be overpriced for what you get.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
This sounds good to me!

Storytellers only has characters at breakfast--by rarer, I mean Brer Fox & Bear, Koda, Kenai, Baloo, Meeko, Terk, Rafiki... I have hardly seen any of these guys out in the park (with the exception being during a Halloween party)... and they are all lots of fun!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
DisneyMommy403
Wishing on a Star

I just returned from a 4 day trip (Nov. 8-11) and we did Breakfast with Minnie and Friends and Lunch at Ariel's Grotto.

Minnie and Friends was worth every single penny. We were so pleased, and it was one of the biggest highlights of our trip. My girls were happier with the Minnie and Friends breakfast than AG. I agree with something a PP said about the character interaction being short, and lack luster; and we too felt rushed through our meal. At Minnie and Friends they spent a good amount of time with my family, we saw a ton of characters, and the food was so good!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaches24 View Post
For AG it depends on whether someone in your party loves the princesses. While I don't think I will do AG again I can't say it was a bad overall experience because DD absolutely LOVED meeting the princesses. She was 3 so just meeting them was magic for her even though they only stop long enough for a picture and to sign her book. For me (being the one who paid the check ) I want a lot more for my money. But our 3 yo thought it was great.
Thank you for your response. I have 2 DDs ages 9 and 11 (they will be 9 and 12 at time of trip) and they still really like the princesses . When we are in WDW we always dine at Cinderella's Castle for dinner and at Akershus for breakfast in the Norway Pavilion in Epcot (we more or less go to both for the atmosphere and the food, but the princesses are an added bonus). However, for our DLR trip I am thinking we would skip out on AG since the reviews haven't been so great, and instead use our money dining someplace else.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

We've done them all, several times, and now only do our favs.

Minnie & Friends is good but very busy. Not much quality time with characters although they will all stop at your table - it's just fast and furious. It's very difficult to get food and actually eat because it's so busy! It is a very stressful breakfast for me, actually, trying to make sure everyone has food (it's a buffet) and making sure we are there for characters and stuff when they come. But you will see characters!

PCH at Paradise Pier is fantastic! We prefer this one. Good Buffet, great quality time with characters, and a much less busy restaurant. Plus there is lots of character interaction - you get to get up and dance with them on a "stage", there are lots of activities and fun things to do with the characters themselves. You won't see as many here (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Max, Stitch are the ones I see regularly) but you'll get more quality time with them.

Ariel's Grotto is good as well. Best food for any character meal. Nice meal, plenty of time, see all the princesses, and the food is good. We like this one.

Goofy's Kitchen is so-so. Sometimes it's fine, but many times there are not as many characters or the tables get skipped. Food is only ok as well - definitely think you can skip this one in favor of another one.

Oh! And Storyteller's at GCH. It's a good breakfast, nice food, but the characters are meh, in my opinion. If you love Chip & Dale, or if you love brother bear or the pocahontas movie, then go. My kids, (and me, for that matter) however, didn't know who the other characters were, only Chip & dale
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #28
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

We are going for 6 nights in January and will be doing a Minnie & Friends and Surf's Up Breakfast for sure, and then on our arrival and departure non-park days, we may do a Goofy's dinner and a Storytellers Breakfast.
ValpoCory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
I think we will do Surf's Up with Mickey because we love Lilo (not so much Stitch but we will tolerate him ) and I know that that is the only character meal with Mickey.
FYI-- I don't think Lilo shows up at Surf's Up too often; it's usually Stitch.
Mousequake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

We saw Lilo at the Dancing with Disney on Stage 17 in DCA. We only caught the last few minutes of this and it was super fun! Here is a video someone shared http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN0Eifgjyc4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: