Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #406
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

So glad to see the updates on the parents as well as the kids. Eliza61, I am so very sorry for your loss.

DS will be home tomorrow night. He loves college--everything about it. He has a new girlfriend he met at college and joined a fraternity.

At midterms he had a 4.0, but told me last week his economics grade has slipped (he HATES it). He's now got a 3.8. He declared a major after entering undecided (Psychology with a minor in Biology-possibly going into neurology in grad school). I saw his schedule for next semester on line tonight. He'll be taking 17 hours.

He is seriously looking at studying abroad over the summer with stops in London and Amsterdam and France. It would be an amazing opportunity and he loves to see and try new things.

He has been refereeing High School soccer for $$. Seems like just last week he was playing in his senior year.

He will work black Friday at AE and they have asked him to work when he's home for Christmas. He gets out Dec 13 for Christmas break.

Best wishes to all the parents and kids out there!
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #407
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Eliza61 (((HUGS))), I'm so sorry for your loss.

DD that did not want to go to an all girl school in the city is actually loving it. She tells me she has friends in every class, has gone to a few social things with some of them, and is getting used to the sirens, traffic, etc. Since we live less than an hour away, and her sister is just across the river, we've met up almost every weekend to have fun, go shopping, watch her sister play rugby, and so on.

It's going to be a tear-fest tomorrow though, when I pick her up from the train station. We had to put her favorite kitty down last week (I rushed into Boston to get her, so she got to say goodbye, but she had to go back afterward) and I've been crying every day since because the only thing she asked of me when she went off to school was to "take care of Topaz". Less than 2 months later, and I failed. I know I'm going to start crying when I see her tomorrow. Heck, I'm crying now. sigh...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #408
princesspumpkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. You are in my thoughts.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain
the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
princesspumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #409
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet too View Post
At the end of my second year, the college dropped it as a major. They also limited the number of trainers there could be, and since I was not in the right sorority and hung out with the wrong fraternity, I was theO "black sheep" ofthe staff. The head trainer told me she would rather be short a trainer than have me. I had no time to transfer into another program, so I got married instead.

It is a tough, time consuming job. There is more flexibility at larger high schools or colleges though.
Well that was a situation that stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post

DD that did not want to go to an all girl school in the city is actually loving it. She tells me she has friends in every class, has gone to a few social things with some of them, and is getting used to the sirens, traffic, etc. Since we live less than an hour away, and her sister is just across the river, we've met up almost every weekend to have fun, go shopping, watch her sister play rugby, and so on.

It's going to be a tear-fest tomorrow though, when I pick her up from the train station. We had to put her favorite kitty down last week (I rushed into Boston to get her, so she got to say goodbye, but she had to go back afterward) and I've been crying every day since because the only thing she asked of me when she went off to school was to "take care of Topaz". Less than 2 months later, and I failed. I know I'm going to start crying when I see her tomorrow. Heck, I'm crying now. sigh...
Glad she is so happy but I'm sorry about her kitty. That's hard--same type thing happened when my niece went to PA and her dad is a very. There was just no saving the poor kitty. Hugs to you all.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #410
princesspumpkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
She has been in several theatrical productions so far, and enjoying that. Theatre is her major and she will be choosing a second major next fall...to help augment that so very usable theatre degree!!!
Now let's not mock that theatre degree Every single person that I know who has a degree in theatre is gainfully employed in their field. Numerous actors (as in television, film and stage), acting professors in conservatory programs, acting coaches and one manager of a few high profile teen actors.

Now my actor friends who don't have theatre degrees do have other jobs to supplement their incomes (like my husband).

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain
the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
princesspumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #411
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your visit brings you comfort and continued strength.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #412
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Things are going well for DD. She never got homesick, which is good, but I am kid sick. Got a call at 2:30 AM on Halloween that started with, "I am OK, but..." There were four people shot on campus.

She will not be home this week. I won't see her until Christmas. She was handing out food and blankets on Skid Row the other night. There was a picture posted of her and I did not recognize her.

I miss her.

Everybody have a good Thanksgiving.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #413
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
I am so very sorry.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #414
Patience
DIS Veteran

Eliza61, I'm very sorry for your loss.

My daughter will be home Wednesday (yay!). She's been very busy with cheerleading so she doesn't get to come home much even though she's only 2.5 hours away. We have all missed her but we do get to go to the home football games to watch her cheer (she gets two free tickets per game). Because she's an athlete, she has priority for class registration and she was able to get all the classes she wanted for next semester and will be taking 17hours in the spring. She also found a job for the summer and will be a camp counselor with a day camp program in our town. It's full time for 9 weeks, one week of which is a training week, and pays 25 cents an hour more than minimum wage but, hey, it's a job and she can even earn overtime. She has made a lot of friends and is still dating her high school boyfriend.

All in all, she's happy as a clam and everything is going even better than I had hoped it would.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #415
kacaju
DIS Veteran

DD is doing good. She came home once since going to school for her Birthday. She is keeping busy with the dance team. She did have a panic attack yesterday over an exam. : ( . She does not have classes on Wednesday so I am going to get her tonight after her last class.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #416
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Eliza61, your story helped me with perspective. I'm so sorry for your loss and I am reminded to put my smaller concerns aside. I hope you have a wonderful holiday filled with love and joy.

DD loves college and has had a great time. We don't see her often but she WILL be home for Thanksgiving!! I've taken time off work to prepare for her stay and make it a memorable holiday.

She juggles work, classes and a more-important-than-expected social life. She's (thankfully) put on a few pounds (which she desperately needed after being sick through most of high school) and is looking quite healthy. She goes between blue, pink and purple hair and I think it looks awesome. She has given new definition to the word "independent"

August seems so long ago now. DH and I have adjusted better than I expected to being empty-nesters. The dogs miss her terribly still but get SO excited when I tell them she's coming for a visit.

I was thinking yesterday that next semester will be worse because there's only spring break and I know she'll go somewhere with her friends. So I will have to wait from Jan -June to have her home again for more than an hour or so (her school has a required May term). Ugh.

But I can't tell you how excited I am to have her home for Thanksgiving!!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #417
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

WOWZER!! Man I love the dis!! OT

Wow, thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Boy what a nice way to start my day.
We are playing it by ear this holidays but we are going to keep many of the traditions we had with Dh.

When usually all you hear is how this generation is going down the tubes, It's wonderful to hear great things about our young adults. thanks for sharing everyone.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #418
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspumpkin View Post
Now let's not mock that theatre degree Every single person that I know who has a degree in theatre is gainfully employed in their field. Numerous actors (as in television, film and stage), acting professors in conservatory programs, acting coaches and one manager of a few high profile teen actors.

Now my actor friends who don't have theatre degrees do have other jobs to supplement their incomes (like my husband).
So true...but you should see people's expressions when I tell them what dd's major is!!! Too funny. I know she will do just fine. Her big goal??? To do the Disney College Program right after graduation (or an Internship) and then be offered a job at WDW!! Not an unattainable goal by any means. Then, after that? Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post

Oh man...that's sad. We had to let our 12 y/o golden in July....then dd went off to camp, she came home for 10 days and then moved to college. Right after Labor Day, dh's mother passed away. Then, over Columbus Day weekend, my dad passed away. So poor dd has had her share of sadness in the past few months. I'm sure she'll remember her first college semester as the 'semester of death'!!! Poor kid.

Hope all goes well for you today!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #419
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Eliza61, I'm so sorry for your loss.

My son flies home tonight. I know I'll spend the day hoping he packed, hoping he catches the shuttle on time, hoping he remembers his boarding passes, hoping he makes his flight, hoping he makes his connecting flight, etc. This is his first time flying completely alone - he has gone on school trips before without us, but has always had somebody with him.

I haven't seen him since August 18th. DH flew up a couple weeks ago to attend DS's first jazz concert. I'm really looking forward to seeing him!

He is loving school and doing really well, but I think he'll be relieved when his economics class is over. He's already registered for next semester. Finals end December 14th and I'm hoping he'll be able to fly home that afternoon or evening, since that's my birthday.
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #420
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Eliza61 I am so sorry for your loss
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: