DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #2386
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post

Have any other Groupies seen John Carter? It's made it to the movie channels so DH and I watched it last night. I Liked it! (Better than Avatar IMO ) What an amazing story thought up by Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912. I could see how the story had so much influence on 20th century sci-fi writers and directors. Thanks goodness for DVR's though - I never read the books so I needed a little rewinding to catch a few things.
I just recorded this last night on the DVR, not really knowing anything about the story or even the bad press the movie got. I enjoy sci fi quite a bit and so I think I will enjoy this story as well. Thanks for the encouragement to watch it at some point soon!

(yep, I'm a guy)

Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2387
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
We caught John Carter in the theaters, despite all the bad press. And we were pleasantly surprised also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Ah. What a dilemma! We have never been to Hawaii, it is on our bucket list. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks Muushka! DH started saying 51/49 Hawaii early this afternoon. Now he says Hawaii since we'd be there over Dec 7th and we thought it would be touching to try and get to Pearl Harbor that day. Tickets are gone to go over to the memorial though unless we could get there early for any that they hold back.

Too funny. I just read your post and asked Mr Muush who John Carter was. He proceeded to say exactly what you just wrote and it is in our Netflix queue. Who knew?? I'll let you know what he says when he watches it. I'm not a fan of sci-fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
I just recorded this last night on the DVR, not really knowing anything about the story or even the bad press the movie got. I enjoy sci fi quite a bit and so I think I will enjoy this story as well. Thanks for the encouragement to watch it at some point soon!
I look forward to hearing what Mr Muush and you (Granny) think of it. Personally I believe that a different name for it would have helped a ton. Like you both of you I didn't have any idea what it was about when it was first released!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #2388
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi there!

I promise I'll keep on reading this thread, but for now, a little question. We have two nights in a Studio coming up in Feb, though the first night is literally just the night, because our flight lands around midnight.

What are the "must see" places in the lodge? We did a quick walk-around of the lobby on our first trip to WDW (Dec '10) while staying elsewhere, enough time to have DS's picture taken at the tree in the lobby, but I was so overwhelmed by *everything* on that trip I might as well have not been there. This time I want to be aware!

So in the very limited time we have there, what should I make SURE we see?

OK, back to reading.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #2389
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Welcome to the groupies bumbershoot!!!!

There are lots of nooks and crannies at WL/VWL to explore for sure. Be sure to take in some time to enjoy the Carolwood Pacific Room, the fireplace, leather chairs, checkers and Walts personal train cars from his home are among the highlights in the area. The sculptured wood carvings in the lobby of the villas are something to see. Take in the faint music, western themed that fits so well. At night, notice the lanterns flicker as you hear the crickets chirp.

Others can chime in with so much more as I have only touched the surface.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #2390
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
We caught John Carter in the theaters, despite all the bad press. And we were pleasantly surprised also.
I have a friend who is what I would say is a groupie of ERB. He says the bad press was mostly on the internet by people who never even saw it. He thought it was a very good movie, and I know I'm looking forward to seeing it too!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #2391
tea pot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Oh boy, we love going to FW to see the campers. We did that a few years back and it was one of the highlights of our visit.

Anyone interested in an evening walking from VWL over to FW to see the decorations????

So Di, what time is The condo assoc. mtg on the 13th?

For anyone going to VWL while we are there (Dec 8-14),
we will go shopping Sunday the 18th.
Let us know if you need us to pick up anything at the grocery store:
water, ice cream, soda, coffee, adult beverages; you name it
(except eggs, we always get those at the Mercantile because
Mr Muush always breaks them )

I have to say, I am very excited about this trip.
For a host of reason. Seeing fellow Groupies being one of the major ones!
I miss all you guys
I hope you all are going again next year.

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #2392
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Heard the Christmas tree is already up in the WL lobby. I saw that tree once in 2000. Been dreaming for the last 12 years of being able to stay at WL during the Christmas season. In 5 days we arrive at VWL for a 2 week stay & my dream will finally come true! So excited!

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #2393
keliblue
It's kinda like a constant bad hair day

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom108 View Post
Heard the Christmas tree is already up in the WL lobby. I saw that tree once in 2000. Been dreaming for the last 12 years of being able to stay at WL during the Christmas season. In 5 days we arrive at VWL for a 2 week stay & my dream will finally come true! So excited!
Ohhhhhhhh two weeks at the lodge !! I'm so jealous wishing you the most wonderful trip EVER !!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #2394
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
We left a week ago today, and according to Ranger Jack, the tree was to go up that day. Sigh. You will love the tree, as well as all the decorations at the Lodge, including over in the Villas lobby. Make sure to have your picture taken in front of the tree! (P.S. I'm envious.)

bumbershoot - All that jimmytammy says is great stuff, and I would add not to forget the outdoor areas such as the nature trail that heads out behind the bike rental shop, the geyser near the main pool that goes off every hour or so, and just sitting on the beach at night while the EWP plays out on Bay Lake; meanwhile, you can often catch some of the higher explosions of Wishes off toward MK, as well. Finally, if you go up on the fourth floor of the main Lodge, the Sunrise Terrace overlooks the pool area and provides a superb view of Bay Lake, the pool/hot tubs, the geyser, and the flowing stream coming out of the lobby itself. Great place to sit down and drink coffee or enjoy your favorite libation.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #2395
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keliblue View Post
Ohhhhhhhh two weeks at the lodge !! I'm so jealous wishing you the most wonderful trip EVER !!
Thanks so much! We've never stayed in just one room at WDW for that length of time before. We're leaving our sons at home so it's just me & DH in a 1 bdrm villa for 14 nights. After 2 years of planning, I think given the time of year it can't be anything less than wonderful & Magical. (unless of course if we get the "dumpster view"room)

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #2396
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Aloha! After 1 hour on the phone with MS, a very nice, knowledgeable CM and a couple of glitches in the system (one that they just couldn't overcome but they took care of us as best they could) we are now going to see what's happening at Aulani! Though DH said he was good either way he only talked about Hawaii - even I could figure that one out.

I'll miss the Christmas decorations and activities that I had been planning for 11 months and especially the groupie meet. And my Member ornament will have to come from Ebay instead of the mixer but we're excited. Next year though - Dec at WDW or bust!!!!

Pet sitter is arranged, airlines booked, rooms booked, car booked. Still have to cancel our WDW dining but otherwise all switched.

JT - could you please remove us from our Dec 1-9 WDW stay and substitute Dec 5-12 at Aulani? And also put us down for Feb 1-10th at BC/BCV for my convention.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #2397
blossomz
Proud DVC owner since 2002!

OMG Kat that is so awesome! I can't wait to plan a trip to Aulani. A friend just got back and raved about it!!

I'm with you for next December!!!

12/1971, 6/95, 2/05, 12/05 & 06 CR, 6/00, 8/02 WL, 07/03, 2/11 BCV 7/04, 2/11 VB, 7/04, 7/05, 6/06, 7/07, 2/11 VWL, 7/07, 04/08, 2/11 AKV, 06/08 VWL and AKV, 12/08, 6/11, 6/12 Poly, 6/09 Kidani Wonder 6/09, 6/10, BLT 6/10, 3/13, Dream 2/11,9/12, 1/13,3/13 SSR 8/11, OKW 4/12 THV 2/13, 9/13.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2398
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

I'm in for next December too!! I am jealous of everyone's plans this December; both WDW and Aulani!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #2399
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Oh twinmom108, I hope you have a most magical time at our beloved VWL. May all your dreams come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
I miss all you guys
I hope you all are going again next year.
TP, we will certainly miss you this year. You are a special person indeed.

We will be going in June, second week, and you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Hi there!

I promise I'll keep on reading this thread, but for now, a little question. We have two nights in a Studio coming up in Feb, though the first night is literally just the night, because our flight lands around midnight.

What are the "must see" places in the lodge? We did a quick walk-around of the lobby on our first trip to WDW (Dec '10) while staying elsewhere, enough time to have DS's picture taken at the tree in the lobby, but I was so overwhelmed by *everything* on that trip I might as well have not been there. This time I want to be aware!

So in the very limited time we have there, what should I make SURE we see?

OK, back to reading.
Hello there!

Is this your first stay at VWL? As I re-read, I think yes/

What we enjoy is visiting all the little alcoves at the main Lodge. Sitting out on the different porches and sitting at the different fireplaces between the Lodge and the Villas.

We also enjoy catching the Electrical Parade each evening. And walking thru the main lobby at all times during our visit. We enjoy people watching, when they first enter the lobby and look up, and jaw drops....fun!

Walking around the courtyard, viewing the falls from different vantage points and getting pictures. Just fun!

Use your nose to smell the wonderful smells in the Lobby and your ears to hear the wonderful music and different sounds that are there. Of course there are lots of eye-candy sights there! Visit the Mercantile, that is a fun place!

I hope your trip is magical. Magical as it always is for us.....

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #2400
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

Wow, new groupies!
WELCOME bumbershoot and twinmom108! What fun having new groupies in our midsts.

For both of you, upon check-in, ask if there is opportunity for you to be Flag Family. One family per day is taken to the Lodge rooftop and helps the Lodge Ranger raise the flags; 4 to be exact. It's a wonderful opportunity for photos and to gaze over the World. This is not something that can be pre-arranged or reserved. First come, first served at check-in. twinmom108, with a 2 week stay you have a really good shot at it.

Kathy, we'll miss you at our meet, but I know you'll have a great time at Aulani.

tea pot, we'll miss you, too!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: