Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Good timing I am shopping for a baby shower gift, could you all maybe tell what was the biggest waste of money or things that did not work for you? I have no children so I feel lost shopping for baby stuff.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Good timing I am shopping for a baby shower gift, could you all maybe tell what was the biggest waste of money or things that did not work for you? I have no children so I feel lost shopping for baby stuff.
Diaper genie. It very quickly went to the curb with the garbage. I also didn't like those bath sponges for the bathtubs for newborns. I could never get it warm enough, always seemed cold.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

If we had another kid, the only things I would need would be:

Evenflo bottles
Target formula
Boppy
Target diapers/wipes
Butt Paste
And (I know, 6 items..) the sleep and play outfits that snap, vs zip.

Everything else, including a crib, playpen, etc....I found to be a waste of money.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Top 5 items -

Hands free pumping bra
Happiest Baby on the Block book
Sleep Sheep
Swaddle Me
My Brest Friend nursing pillow

Honorary non baby item -
Ipad - helped me stay awake when I was nursing in the middle of the night

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Diaper genie. It very quickly went to the curb with the garbage. I also didn't like those bath sponges for the bathtubs for newborns. I could never get it warm enough, always seemed cold.
I like the yellow bath sponge to use in the big tub when baby is a little older.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
Frye7127
DIS Veteran

my top 5...

of course my boy is 12 now, but these were my favorite things:
1. Humidifier - still use it to this day. He loves to sleep to the sound.
2. Baby bottle warmer for upstairs in the middle of the night, so I didn't have to go tracking downstairs to fix a bottle - loved it! After a hip-to-hip emergency C-section, I was thankful not to have to track down the stairs several times a night.
3. swaddle blankets - swaddled him forever til the blankets got too short, it put him out like a light.
4. Baby Bjorn carrier - great for outings - nobody touched him or got too close and he liked being worn and it freed up my hands. Also, liked the backpack carrier and so did he when he was older.
5. My buggy - a Graco stroller that had the car seat attachment. sturdy and durable and definitely served its purpose.

My others were Huggies when he was an infant, Pampers when he was older, Avent bottles that converted to cups - definitely got our money out of those. Doorway bouncy chair, and a terrific pediatrician.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
1 diaper genie
2 diaper genie
3 diaper genie
4 diaper genie
5 diaper genie
We actually took a risk and got the Babys r Us brand diaper pail & we love it! It does a great job hiding the odor. Best part is it was only $20!
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
All of my babies were formula fed, and we tried them all, ready to feed, concentrate, powdered. By far the easiest method (which, of course, I discovered with the last) was powdered, made up individually, with warm tap water. Fill the bottle, add the powder, shake. No need to heat it up, or make it ahead of time.

Robeez were also discovered late in the game, but I never bought a pair of baby socks/shoes again.

And I am STILL using old cloth diapers for dusting and rags! Some day, I'm going to have to buy more.

We did the same with the formula. It was especially easy in WDW. Preloaded the bottle with powder, kept a couple of bottles of water in the back pack, and we had an instant meal.

The swing.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

If I had a list of 5, they would all be various types of baby carriers. Ring slings, woven wraps, buckle carriers... All have gotten more use than any other baby items.

Close runners up: cradle swing, Boppy, and jumperoo.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
All of my babies were formula fed, and we tried them all, ready to feed, concentrate, powdered. By far the easiest method (which, of course, I discovered with the last) was powdered, made up individually, with warm tap water. Fill the bottle, add the powder, shake. No need to heat it up, or make it ahead of time.

Robeez were also discovered late in the game, but I never bought a pair of baby socks/shoes again.

And I am STILL using old cloth diapers for dusting and rags! Some day, I'm going to have to buy more.
We actually use cloth diapers as burp clothes-they are WAY more absorbant for spit-up than regular burp clothes!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
minushka72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
And (I know, 6 items..) the sleep and play outfits that snap, vs zip.
The snap up ones are the best since they snap down both legs. So much easier for diaper changes! The zip up ones only unzip one leg so you practically have to take the whole thing off to change a diaper!

Also loved my sleep sheeps! My kids still sleep with them at ages 6 and 3.
minushka72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minushka72 View Post
The snap up ones are the best since they snap down both legs. So much easier for diaper changes! The zip up ones only unzip one leg so you practically have to take the whole thing off to change a diaper!

Also loved my sleep sheeps! My kids still sleep with them at ages 6 and 3.
See, I prefer the zip-up sleepers. I find the snaps too "confusing" when I'm half asleep or in the dark, and prefer to just have to navigate a zipper.

Oh, and my 6 month old LOVES her Sleep Sheep. My son never cared for it, but every time I go in my DD's room when she's asleep, she's lying directly under the sleep sheep (it's hanging from the top rail of the crib) so that she can play with it's feet while she falls asleep.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

Most useful... (I have a 16 month old)

1. Fisher Price Snugabunny Swing (or, I guess, any nicer Fisher Price swing)...most expensive thing we bought and TOTALLY WORTH ALL OF THE MONEY!!!

2. Swaddle blankets. As my mom, who is a NICU nurse says...babies like them, it's the parents who have problems! (Can't get the blankets to stay, etc.)...the "SwaddleMe" ones are great, velcro rocks!

3. Any time of white noise...sleep sheep, etc. We actually use (still!) an old iphone in a radio/charger in the baby's room...with a rain sound...because of it, he sleeps well in cars, airplanes, etc! Then, we can just take the iphone wherever we go!

4. This tub http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price...b/-/A-10875121 I did WAY too much research on bath tubs, and found that the reason young infants generally don't like baths is because they are cold..parents put them in slings/on sponges and they are not warm. We used this tub from a very early age...the baby can be submerged partially in water, and there is a big bump that stops them from sliding. I guess the best part, though, is that the big bump is removable (easily) and our 16 month old can now sit in the tub and has room to play with his toys, and we don't have to fill up the entire regular bath tub yet. Saves on water for sure!

5. I also loved the nuk bottles http://www.target.com/p/nuk-orthodon...m_1_2&term=nuk bottles (Come in different sizes, colors, etc.) We tried MANY bottles...Dr. Brown, Playtex Drop-Ins, regular Playtex, the glass ones, etc. etc. and these were my favorites! SOOOO easy to clean, and their is a vent in the nipple to let the air out so the babies never have to stop sucking for the air to escape...like some other bottles we had. Will definitely stock up on more of these for a future child!

Some things that we returned/were not happy with (just in case you're interested, I know I was before I had a baby):

-Boppy (my torso was too short, the baby was too high for me to feed him using the Boppy).
-Bottle and Wipe Warmers
-I'm sure there are more that I can't think of at the moment!

Good luck with your baby! It's a rollercoaster, but what an amazing ride!
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help, Please! View Post
Most useful... (I have a 16 month old)

1. Fisher Price Snugabunny Swing (or, I guess, any nicer Fisher Price swing)...most expensive thing we bought and TOTALLY WORTH ALL OF THE MONEY!!!

2. Swaddle blankets. As my mom, who is a NICU nurse says...babies like them, it's the parents who have problems! (Can't get the blankets to stay, etc.)...the "SwaddleMe" ones are great, velcro rocks!

3. Any time of white noise...sleep sheep, etc. We actually use (still!) an old iphone in a radio/charger in the baby's room...with a rain sound...because of it, he sleeps well in cars, airplanes, etc! Then, we can just take the iphone wherever we go!

4. This tub http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price...b/-/A-10875121 I did WAY too much research on bath tubs, and found that the reason young infants generally don't like baths is because they are cold..parents put them in slings/on sponges and they are not warm. We used this tub from a very early age...the baby can be submerged partially in water, and there is a big bump that stops them from sliding. I guess the best part, though, is that the big bump is removable (easily) and our 16 month old can now sit in the tub and has room to play with his toys, and we don't have to fill up the entire regular bath tub yet. Saves on water for sure!

5. I also loved the nuk bottles http://www.target.com/p/nuk-orthodon...m_1_2&term=nuk bottles (Come in different sizes, colors, etc.) We tried MANY bottles...Dr. Brown, Playtex Drop-Ins, regular Playtex, the glass ones, etc. etc. and these were my favorites! SOOOO easy to clean, and their is a vent in the nipple to let the air out so the babies never have to stop sucking for the air to escape...like some other bottles we had. Will definitely stock up on more of these for a future child!

Some things that we returned/were not happy with (just in case you're interested, I know I was before I had a baby):

-Boppy (my torso was too short, the baby was too high for me to feed him using the Boppy).
-Bottle and Wipe Warmers
-I'm sure there are more that I can't think of at the moment!

Good luck with your baby! It's a rollercoaster, but what an amazing ride!
Totally agree about the tub! We started out with a sling seat tub thing and my baby screamed the entire bath. Then we switched to this & now, at 7 weeks old, she actually smiles during bath time!!
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2404856
Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebride

We actually took a risk and got the Babys r Us brand diaper pail & we love it! It does a great job hiding the odor. Best part is it was only $20!
We still use the Munchkin version. The Arm and Hammer diaper pail I think it's called. It has a little dispenser that releases Arm and Hammer into the bag each time it's closed. Smell wise, it's priceless!

Other things we loved were the swaddlers.

DH likes the zipper sleepers for the same reason another poster said, easier to navigate!

Our swing and our bouncy seats are well used as well.

But the two best things we ever did for ourselves and DS are things we didn't purchase...

1. I could not breast feed so we had to use formula. We always used room temp water so we'd never have to heat water when we're out.

2. Made sure anywhere he slept was not silent. We have a small one level house and every time we put him in his crib we'd leave the door open to his room and just go about our daily business.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: