DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
butsy113
AKV Owner

If you plan a full park day for the day you switch resorts, then it won't matter if you don't have a room. It all depends on the way you vacation. I can't drag my kids out of the park once we get there. So on a switch day we plan to get to a park around 9 or 10 and stick around the park until around 6 or 7. Switching doesn't have to be a problem. Many people enjoy it, but you have to know if it would work for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Many SSR owners bought and either intended not to stay there very often if at all and/or they have now found out that they like other resorts better.

Bill
We are actually one of those owners. We own at BLT and SSR (BLT was our first purchase) and when we went to add on points there, we didn't want to pay the amount that Disney wanted for it. Since SSR's price per point was much lower, we decided to add on at that resort and use those points for our stays at other resorts and for our BLT stays.

On the flip side, we did stay there this past January for 3 nights and we were really impressed with the whole resort. The only thing that we did not care for was all the bus stops within the resorts...we stayed in Congress park which was great for walking to DTD and back, plus we had an awesome view of DTD Westside from our villa, however it wasn't so great if we had to take the buses to the parks. We do plan on going back there for another stay, however we decided that when we do, we will make sure we have a car there...whether it is our personal car or we rent a car.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

First, let me start by saying that no DVC resort is bad. They're all deluxe resorts. We've stayed at every WDW DVC, and I've never had an unenjoyable vacation at any of them. That doesn't mean that I don't favor some over others, though.

SSR is my favorite resort. We do at least a week there every year. We love our other home resorts too, but don't stay there as often. It's funny how different resorts appeal to different people. We've stayed at OKW and AKV one time each, and have no desires to stay at either again. Others love these resorts.

Until you've tried every resort, there's no way to tell if it will be the right fit for your family or not. SSR is a fantastic resort that you may or may not enjoy. My suggestion is that you give it a shot. Book your trip at SSR, and if there's another resort you want to go for, wait list it. Best case, you get your wait list. Worst case, you get to stay at SSR and determine where it fits on your like/don't like continuum. You'll have a great WDW vacation in either case.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
kimszath
Lover of Everything DISNEY!!!

I love SSR!

SSR is my home resort, but since I have a LOT of points, we like to stay at other resorts just for a change of scenery every now and then. We've stayed at all WDW resorts so far except for VWL and BLT, and I personally think that SSR is the cleanest resort of the bunch, at least in my experience. The decor is lovely and well-maintained, and the pool areas are great. It is a very large resort, though, so as other posters have mentioned, picking the area that suits your "wants" is important. Even though I'm somewhat local and we always have a car with us, I still try to stay in the Springs area so that we can walk to the main pool and resort building instead of loading up the car. The bus stops are fairly centralized. Being able to take the Ferry over to Downtown Disney is great--my kiddo loves the Lego store and eating at Rainforest Cafe. You can also take the ferry back to Old Key West and eat in their restaurant (or pool hop for a change!) I do hear from many that they wish it was closer to the parks, but then, it's only a bus ride away. Once you're there, you're there!

Have a wonderful trip!!!
Kim

kimszath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

SSR was my third Add-On, bought it because I got a great deal there but turns out my wife and I love staying there!

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Think we might just book SSR and rent a car. Can't fathom having to take a bus everywhere (we go on vacation so we don't have to spend two hours a day on public transit) - that's why we go to DL so often - everything is "there".
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy
Thanks for the replies.

The only DVC resort we have stayed at is VGC (even though our home resort is AKV) so that is our baseline for resort and room quality (high threshold).

I just wanted to check to make sure that the availability of SSR is not indicative of issues with quality or cleanliness.
I own at SSR and VGC and in my opinion there is no DVC resort that compares well with a VGC villa. They really went top notch with that resort. having said that, the grounds at SSR are beautiful, and you can't go wrong staying there.

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The only DVC resort we have stayed at is VGC (even though our home resort is AKV) so that is our baseline for resort and room quality (high threshold).

I just wanted to check to make sure that the availability of SSR is not indicative of issues with quality or cleanliness.
We just got back from our first stay at SSR. It is not our home resort (that honor goes to BWV). I can tell you firsthand that we had absolutely no issues with cleanliness in our villa.

We requested a villa in the Grandstand area in order to be the first on the buses going to the parks and the first stop to be let off coming back.

I wasn't sure we would like staying there, and while we still prefer the points and room size at OKW by far, I have to say I wouldn't mind staying at SSR again. It was a lovely resort, with very kind, helpful CMs.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #24
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

We are SSR/VAK owners, and we have only stayed at SSR once. That said, I would absolutely recommend following the strategy Dean and others have suggested -- book SSR, because it is a perfectly nice place, but see if you can manage a split stay.

Our issue with SSR has nothing to do with quality or cleanliness -- it has more to do with theming than anything. Basically, SSR just doesn't feel themed to us -- it seems like a beautiful suburban apartment complex. We prefer hotel-style resorts (interior hallways, rather than exterior corridors), more overtly themed resorts (love VAK/AKL), and resorts that are close to parks (Epcot area or MK area resorts).

But if I wanted to go at Easter and were booking 4 months out, I would not hesitate to take SSR and get on a couple waitlists (or go ahead and book a split stay if there is something attractive available for that).
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
spencerbomar
DVC since March 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post
Have you thought of doing a split stay. With 12 nights you could try to get another resort for 6 and SSR for 6. Then you would get to experience 2 resorts. After about 5 or 6 days I'm usually ready for a change
It is a huge pain in the rear to change. It takes a lot of time to change in the middle of your vacation, when you could be relaxing instead.
spencerbomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
allshookup
Anymore singalongs and this tag is the first to go

Definitely think it's just that it's so big so plenty of availability. We used to own at SSR but sold our points & bought BLT. However, SSR still has a special place in my heart & would stay there again in a heart beat. We love the proximity to DTD, the pastel colors, the river boat, the beautiful paths for walking, etc.

The decision to buy BLT was based on the fact that it's harder to get during the holidays & that is when we really enjoy staying there for the proximity to the monorail, MK & the MK resorts.

As far as split stays go, I know that's a personal preference thing, but I agree with the PP that said 12 nights at SSR is way better than packing up & having to move during your vacation, especially if you have food & drink. We did it once....never ever again!

allshookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

SSR is amazing and IMHO one of the nicest DVC resorts. It is very quiet but the atmosphere is wonderful and the CMs very friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to book it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
MEK
DIS Veteran

SSR owner here. Love the place because I am a runner. It's so pretty and the quiet pools are
Fabulous. That being said, if I am trying to conserve points I would book OKW, AK standard, or BWV standard over SSR. However, I will never be disappointed with an SSR stay and I live split stays for linger trips.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
happyann79
Mouseketeer

It is a very large and lovely resort!
happyann79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

While SSR is a nice resort and SOME of the availability is due to it's size, it is also in less demand comparatively than the other WDW resorts. It is not simply size that makes it more available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: