Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #76
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post

I think that's a good rule to follow. That whole "snitches get stitches" thing bothers me on so many levels. As a mandated reporter, I, on more than one occasion, had to report child abuse/sexual abuse when I taught. Later, in at least two cases, I found out other adults had known but hadn't said anything because they "minded their own business." That still makes me sick to my stomach to think about. If you prefer to keep your mouth shut when someone else is being hurt because you're not a stitch, I really don't want to be friends with you. You make my skin crawl.

ETA: Low-Key, this wasn't aimed at you personally. I know you were going for the laugh, and it was funny
That's a HUGE stretch to compare reporting of suspected child abuse to reporting an anonymous poster who rubs you the wrong way. I would never report someone on here but obviously I'd call DSS in a minute if I felt a child was in danger. How can you compare the damage done to an abused child to "damage" done by a rude anonymous Internet post?
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #77
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
As a mandated reporter, I, on more than one occasion, had to report child abuse/sexual abuse when I taught. Later, in at least two cases, I found out other adults had known but hadn't said anything because they "minded their own business." That still makes me sick to my stomach to think about.
Are you really comparing child sexual abuse to a possibly opinionated post on a theme park message board?

Say it isn't so.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #78
keypooh90
Lovatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
That's a HUGE stretch to compare reporting of suspected child abuse to reporting an anonymous poster who rubs you the wrong way. I would never report someone on here but obviously I'd call DSS in a minute if I felt a child was in danger. How can you compare the damage done to an abused child to "damage" done by a rude anonymous Internet post?

I absolutely agree! Those two topics/ideas are not even remotely related!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #79
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I took the point to mean that to step back and not do anything about someone abusing the guidelines set on this community is wrong, just like it's wrong to sit back and do nothing about abuse.

Yes, there is a wide margin, but I think that the point made is valid. And I think that Snarlingcoyote is smart enough to know the difference, and expects that the adults here also know the difference and wouldn't assume that he/she means that the two examples are equally as bad.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #80
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

The Hostess thread is getting shorter. I guess the tattletales out at work!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #81
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
I took the point to mean that to step back and not do anything about someone abusing the guidelines set on this community is wrong, just like it's wrong to sit back and do nothing about abuse.

Yes, there is a wide margin, but I think that the point made is valid. And I think that Snarlingcoyote is smart enough to know the difference, and expects that the adults here also know the difference and wouldn't assume that he/she means that the two examples are equally as bad.
To me, the two examples are so far from each other, that I don't even make the connection between them. I see what you (and Snarlingcoyote are saying), but, to me, the "just like it's wrong" is comparing apples and oranges (well, maybe grapefruits and oranges).

Not saying those those who report posts should be burned at the stake, just saying that I don't agree that the comparison to not reporting child abuse is a valid one.

Last edited by crashbb; 11-16-2012 at 09:04 PM.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #82
Wish I lived in Fl
DIS Veteran

"Snitches get Stiches"

Quote:
My mom taught kindergarten for about 30 years. Before a kid would tattle, she would ask him/her "Is someone being hurt by this?" If the answer was yes, she told kids they SHOULD report what they knew. Otherwise, let it go.

I think that's a good rule to follow. That whole "snitches get stitches" thing bothers me on so many levels.
The "Snitches get Stiches" phrase was used against people in my town as why they should help coverup the rape of a high school student by other high school students.
I hate that phrase.
Wish I lived in Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #83
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Krista, I so wanted to report this thread just for the fun of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
As for other posts, I don't report because I like to watch what ensues for my own entertainment. Some people shouldn't be saved from themselves.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #84
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

I have reported newly-posted spam threads, especially the occasional vulgar thread, but do not report other threads unless it's pretty bad. As in, an obvious, nasty attack on someone. And I haven't had a thread closed on the DIS in quite some time.

Sometimes, though, I worry that I'm going to forget I'm here instead of on facebook and post something points-worthy by accident. If I'm going to get points, I at least want it to be an intentional posting!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #85
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
Krista, I so wanted to report this thread just for the fun of it!

<---- Tigger&Belle

The interesting thing is that I have a few real life far-away friends on this thread, and we don't all necessarily agree. But we don't all necessarily disagree, either. But I feel like almost everyone on this thread is able to discuss this without getting to the point where we need to "report" our DIS neighbor, or where we feel we have to be mean enough to be reported in order to make our point.

Like anyplace in life, everyone won't see eye to eye, but most of us realize that that's okay most of the time. But there's always going to be a few jerks who purposely do things that may lead to appropriate reporting by someone else, and also a few overly sensitive people that tend to freak out about the slightest little insignificant thing. Those two groups sometimes ruin the fun for everyone else. Just like in a classroom, at home with kids, at work, or in just about any setting.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #86
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I have reported a few over the past 13 years here. The 2+ year stint as a moderator here on the community board (long before they went to that team thing) gave me a good basis of what might need a report and what not. A few over the years, yes, but not many. And never any on this forum anymore, just the theme park board that Diane mentioned some posts back. And a few over the years I have sent a link to MJ directly, knowing she would handle it expeditiously and correctly.

Good topic, Krista.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #87
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
Aw Pea, I'm so sorry about little Remy, he was a cute little guy.
I meant to say thank you. He is missed.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #88
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
That might have been the post I reported. They were actual crude/curse words with spaces between the letters so the filter wouldn't catch it. In my example, I used %#$* in place of the swear words because I didn't want to *do* something (I deem) reportable.

The fact that the person was attacking someone else and knew enough to use spaces to get the crude words through was what made me report it. If they'd cursed while talking about their day, I wouldn't have. And if they'd been rude without using curse words, I wouldn't have. But they were breaking multiple rules and trying to evade the filters. Like I said... up to this point, I thought that's what the report button was for. But if the mods don't want "the help", which apparently they don't... then that's fine with me.
I hate to tell you but just putting symbols in place of a swear word can get you points. I had someone report me for doing that last night and I wasn't talking mean about anyone just telling a story. I never even knew it was against the rules to do it either.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #89
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidict View Post
I think that the DIS has more then its fair share of former hall monitors. Some people like to kiss you know what and what better way to do it then to run to the mods with every perceived slight or wrong?

I'm sure the mods know who the chronic complainers and "notifiers" are and I have a feeling that they probably roll their eyes when they see another complaint come through. All the while, the complainer is probably sitting there, all proud of themselves, waiting for their pat on the back.

The hall monitors comment caught my attention. I've not been here long and haven't been reported that I know about anyway. I almost created a thread Friday night asking if there was an outbreak of:
1.PMS
2.Menopause
3.Classroom monitors
because some "experts" chimed in on a thread and acted like the kids who took names for the teacher.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #90
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
I hate to tell you but just putting symbols in place of a swear word can get you points. I had someone report me for doing that last night and I wasn't talking mean about anyone just telling a story. I never even knew it was against the rules to do it either.
Hi, just a clarification

You didn't get points, you got a warning as a heads up with a link to the DIS guidelines on bypassing the word filter. No one reported you. I was reading the thread when I saw your post. I just want to make sure you know that you were not reported and you did not receive points.

Putting symbols instead of a word will not get anyone points or a warning. Creatively spelling a word that is filtered will normally get posts deleted with a warning or infraction. Personally, I would rather give a heads up and modify the post so the person can still get the message across.

Example: Let's say grass is a filtered word. If you spelled it out we would see ***** on the boards - that's okay. If someone wanted to write *#^&@ - that would also be okay. The following would not be allowed: g****, gra$$, gr*ss, g*#%&, etc.

Hope that helps.

(Dan, was it only two years? It seemed so many more)
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: