Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

Usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. I did pull all the stuff out of the attic today, and put it in the empty spare room so I could get it organized though. I even have the trees together in the spare room so they have time to get unsquashed and I can go adjust the limbs to look the way I want them to look. We will decorate the trees and the rest of the house Friday and Saturday. My DS6 found the Christmas train, so he set it up and has been playing with it all day.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I won't do decorating until after Thanksgiving.

I'll have to squeeze it in somehow. I will need to make space in the dining room first for the portable bar because it normally sits where the Christmas tree goes. That means the dining room needs to be cleaned and straightened up first. LOL

I also need to buy 4 pretty non-lighted 24 inch wreaths. I've been looking but all the wreaths I've seen have either had lights or been too small. I can't do real pine since I'm allergic.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Our tree and a couple of Christmas arrangements are out. This weekend my daughter and I are having a Pinterest party. One of the crafts we've planned is to make mesh wreaths so our wreath goes up Sat. night after the party. We'll put out more Christmas stuff each day this week so the house will be decorated in time for the party.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

We usually have an artificial tree but this year, my husband and I are thinking about getting a real tree since our tree needs to be replaced this year.

Is it too early to put a real tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving? If so, when would the earliest time be?

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I may put our tree up on Wednesday. I'm thinking of doing an all Disney tree this year.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
They're not even selling trees here yet!
Home Depot already had cut trees this past weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
We do our outside decorations the first weekend in December. Our neighbor put all her outside ones up last weekend and wow is it festive! LOL I mean every square inch of yard seems to be covered. I'm sure the kids love it and I'm for any and all decorations and getting into the spirit.
Can you give me the address so I can drive by and egg the neighbor's house?

Jim
LBIJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

OK, this is a first for me. I am just not in the mood for Christmas but the kids are so I let my 11 year old put my tree together yesterday while I was gone. I am normally so OCD about how it is done so this was BIG! I really expected to come home only to find it still in the box, but to my surprise he had it all put together.

Looking back I wish I had made a few pictures because there were a few limbs placed in the wrong spot and it looked hilarious! I was just so proud that he tried! We made a few adjustments and it is close enough to perfect to me so I am letting it go. This Christmas will be forever known as the Christmas that Michael put the tree up!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #23
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post
We usually have an artificial tree but this year, my husband and I are thinking about getting a real tree since our tree needs to be replaced this year.

Is it too early to put a real tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving? If so, when would the earliest time be?
IMO, yes, it's too early to put up a real tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. Especially this year with T-giving being the earliest it can be. There's still another week of November after TG. Wait until December 1 at the earliest.

I'm sure the majority to real trees were cut in late October/early November. But putting them up inside so early might really dry them out before Xmas.

Jim

LBIJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #24
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

My tree is usually the last bit of decorating we do. I put up my Christmas village in the last week and today got out my Christmas dishes (I pack my everyday dishes away for the season). After Thanksgiving we will get out the outdoor decorations and some other indoor things I have. We get a live tree so I usually wait a bit to put it up. Often we don't even get it until the first or second weekend in December and put it up sometime after that. We do have another tree that is artificial and goes up in our gameroom downstairs. It will go up with the other indoor decorations after Thanksgiving.

It seems in the last few years that many people are decorating earlier and earlier. A few years ago you never saw anyone with anything on before Thanksgiving. I was just out with my daughter and in a 10 mile drive we saw at least 5 homes with the trees up in the front windows and many more house with the outside decorations up and on. I love the way it looks, but it does seem to crowd out Thanksgiving a bit.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post

One year I put our tree up the day after Halloween. It had been a really tough year and we needed the cheer.
That is not too early. If you need ornaments and wait until then to buy them, the pickings might be scarce.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

I'm trying to talk my wife out of putting a tree up this year. We're spending Christmas Day at Epcot and they have lots of trees.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

We will be putting our up this week. All the older kids will be home from college or grown up life and our 15 yr old wants everyone to participate. I think we might end up purchasing on Wed and putting up on Thanksgiving eve.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
Angelrose
Likes to dance in golden sun beams
Knows too many details about Gnarf, Fnarfle, Grotchy and Ronkle....yep, she needs help!! ;)
Drives me even crazier than I am

I usually start decorating the house November 1. I have a LOT of decorations all over the house. Even the bathroom doesn't escape. It took me a few days to get all the decorations done. Since I didn't have electricity during Sandy for 17 hours, I got a lot of decorating done. On the 10th, my son put up my prelit artificial tree for me and I decorated all of it by myself except the very top. I couldn't reach it without climbing and that is a NONO for me. My son came back this past Saturday and did the top of the tree for me. I had a few things to put under the tree and I'm done.

I am also done Christmas shopping and wrapping presents. The only thing left is Christmas cards and baking. I've been listening to Christmas music since November 1 too.

I leave my tree up until the middle of January. The house looks so empty and dark after I put everything away. But then I can get out the Valentine decorations.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Yep we put ours up this weekend. I am so excited as it's a retro aluminum tree from the 50's that I found on Ebay a few months ago. It's all sparkly and shiny and brings back fond memories from childhood. I'm loving it!!
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

This year I am getting a small tabletop tree. It will be hung from the ceiling. It's the only thing I can think to do to keep my one cat from destroying it.

He pulls all the ornaments off the tree, even while we are decorating it. We no longer put any of my beautiful glass ornaments on it, just ugly plastic and fabric ones.

He climbs and sits in it until there is a gapping hole around the entire circumference. We can't get a real one, he'll eat it.

I'm going to dress him up as the Grinch.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: