Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #961
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer2210 View Post
How can people afford to stay here?? There must be alot of millionaires out there.
I usually don't feed the trolls, but I'll bite.

Yeah I'm a millionaire!!

Not dollars, but millions of lots of other things. I've got millions of blessings, and millions of brain cells that tell me that I deserve every single second of a posh vacation. I've also got a million ounces of good sense to know that living well doesn't require a million dollars, just a million creative ways to cut back on unnecessary things in order to enjoy what I consider necessary, like vacations.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #962
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How can people afford to stay here?? There must be alot of millionaires out there.
I value experiences and memories more than things (not that you have to spend $$$ to have great experiences & memories - but we spend more on vacations than clothes, electronic gadgets, furniture, and home decorations combined).

That being said, we're more of a moderate family but decided to splurge this time. Even then, we're using 35% AP discounts (don't think I could ever justify paying Poly rack rates, even during value season).
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #963
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uagirl

We love to stay deluxe, but typically go 2-3 years between visits. It takes us that long to save up enough to do it again.

Not millionaires, just penny pinchers.
Although we have yet to stay at Poly...we do prefer deluxe.
We don't go every year...we don't go on any vacation every year (many people we know travel over Xmas, memorial day, etc) and we do not.
We also drive which makes a huge difference in price.
We also have had a discount every time we went.
We have also had Christmas where our gift was saving for vacay (son got Mickey suitcase, etc.)
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #964
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaildmoody View Post
I need some help... I leave in 10 days and we have a LV CL room (Hawaii bldg) and I was trying to decide which rooms to request but tikimans site doesn't really help because the pics are so old.

I only see one room that is LV on the 3rd floor? We really want the best possible view of the MK. We couldn't get a TPV CL room so I am hoping for a little magic.

Do you have LV CL Suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleK1974 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions, but when you get a good look at them first hand, will you let me know which is best?
We are staying LV in Hawaii in 3 weeks and would love to know which is best.

An "insider" suggested a first floor close to the concierge desk is a great option....but I am always up for more opinions!

Bolding above is mine

I agree that that location will be your best bet for a LV CL room. I had 1505 which is TPV and it was an excellent unobstructed view. It looked like rooms 1501-04 which are LV would have very similar views. The next group down which are 1508-10 have large bushes in front that look like they would totally block the view of the castle from the patio. I don't remember what the rooms further down looked like.

I have also stayed in 2503 which is LV. This room had an unobstructed view of the castle and partially blocked fireworks view. The big downer on the 2nd floor rooms is the no balcony. I did like being on the same floor as the lounge though, so that was nice.

I hope you both have great trips!
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #965
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Millionaires are so 1990's. We are billionaires!
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #966
NicoleK1974
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post

Yeah I'm a millionaire!!

Not dollars, but millions of lots of other things. I've got millions of blessings, and millions of brain cells that tell me that I deserve every single second of a posh vacation. I've also got a million ounces of good sense to know that living well doesn't require a million dollars, just a million creative ways to cut back on unnecessary things in order to enjoy what I consider necessary, like vacations.
By far the best reply to any post....EVER!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #967
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Just booked to stay at the Poly next summer for the first time! So excited! In fact this is the first time we will have stayed at a Disney Resort and it will be perhaps my 10th trip (I think!). We are thinking about which longhouse we would like to request.

We have 2 children and would like to be close to the main pool. We have booked a garden view room. We would like to be close to the GCH as well if possible. Don't mind the view as garden is garden I suppose but we really don't want to be looking over the monorail. If there is the chance we could see something else like the marina then that would be a bonus but as I said as we have booked the garden view that is what we are expecting.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #968
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
Just booked to stay at the Poly next summer for the first time! So excited! In fact this is the first time we will have stayed at a Disney Resort and it will be perhaps my 10th trip (I think!). We are thinking about which longhouse we would like to request.

We have 2 children and would like to be close to the main pool. We have booked a garden view room. We would like to be close to the GCH as well if possible. Don't mind the view as garden is garden I suppose but we really don't want to be looking over the monorail. If there is the chance we could see something else like the marina then that would be a bonus but as I said as we have booked the garden view that is what we are expecting.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
Samoa Volcano Pool Side is a great location for just that.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #969
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To be honest.. we would never pay for rack rates. We planned our trip and then waited and waited and jumped on the Disney Visa discount the very morning it was released. The 35% off room rate made our trip similar in price to a Mod.

Last time we were lucky enough to get GF at 40% off rate.

good luck to you!
jen

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #970
ljmclin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post

Yeah I'm a millionaire!!

LOVE THIS!! I'm a millionaire too!!!! I get to enjoy my vacation that my family saved for (and definitely deserves) in less than 2 weeks!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #971
mjl1969
Mouseketeer

There is no way a 35% discount will make the Poly the same price as a mod, Especially when you apply a discount to the mod ..

That being said, the Poly is truly unique in its appeal - transportation convenience, ambience, etc, etc
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #972
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaildmoody

Samoa Volcano Pool Side is a great location for just that.
Thank you!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #973
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1969 View Post
There is no way a 35% discount will make the Poly the same price as a mod, Especially when you apply a discount to the mod ..

That being said, the Poly is truly unique in its appeal - transportation convenience, ambience, etc, etc
It actually can be the price of a moderate...if you get 35% off a POLY garden view room in value season costing $415, you would be paying $269.75. A POR Royal Room river view rack rates is $275/night....so similar in price, as PP said, not the same...and even a little less.

But you are correct, if you apply a discount to the mod, no comparison. If you are like myself, and it wouldn't kill you to pay rack rate on a moderate, then a 35-40% discount is a great deal and like a deluxe at a mod price.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL

Last edited by Mousemommy1; 11-19-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added clarification
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #974
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1969 View Post

Not sure how the previous poster intended it, and this isn't apples to apples, but I'm paying about the same for Poly in January with the AP discount as I was for POFQ last April. And the February before, I spent WAY less for BC (again AP discount) than for that rack rate POFQ room. Again, not a direct comparison, but funny! Just shows that deluxe resorts can be available at what we consider decent rates (between $200 and $300/night) at certain times.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!

Last edited by pixarmom; 11-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #975
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

9 days!!

In one week, we will be in the air on the way to Florida! My 5 yo twins' first plane ride. Then 2 days at Grandma and Grandpa's then the POLY!!! The very first Disney trip for me and my twins, DH has been a few times as a kid.

I have on my "nice to have" packing list some sand toys for the poly beach. Considering the weather in Orlando in a week, is this something I should pack, or something I should ditch. I'm thinking it may not be warm enough to play in the sand.

Is anyone currently swimming in the pools? I know my pair would love to, but not if it's too chilly.

I also have on my list some febreeze in case the room is stinky. Does the Poly launder their bedspreads enough where I shouldn't need this? In general, I don't like any artificial scents of any kind, and I hate to spray anything in a public space because it can trigger migraines for people. At the same time, I won't be able to sleep well in a stinky bed.

I've heard of FW having S'mores at their campfires. Do they do that at the fires between the GF and Poly? Is it possible to bring our own S'Mores kits or should we shell out the big dollas?

Some people have recommended over the door shoe hangers to keep all the stuff in the bathroom organized. If I'm reading the floorplans right, there should be a fair amount of space on the bathroom counter. None of us are overly high maintenance with tons of products. Should I forget about this idea, or persue it?

Thanks in advance!! We got out the suitcases last night and made sure all systems were a GO.

Now, how will I think about a Turkey in 2 days when I've got a Mouse to think about???

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: