Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
I'm not a scientist, but I kind of look at the issue scientifically...if I'm going to be carrying on alcohol per the DCL policy, I'm going to make it worth my while in terms of alcohol content. Beer just doesn't have enough alcoholic density in my opinion to justify the large volume and weight that must be dealt with.
That's one way to look at it! For me, it'll be about *enjoyment*. I don't enjoy liquor or wine enough to justify bringing it on (except for this one wine that I want to share with my aunt, but it can't be shipped to her so I'll bring it to her instead, and we'll enjoy it together), but BEER, oh yes, beer. If I can find a beer that I'm enjoying at the time of the cruise, I'll bring it on board.

OP, you might have noticed that a previous person mentioned that you can bring a glass of wine to dinner and not be charged. That's what the Passporter guide says, too. I personally probably wouldn't do it; I plan to enjoy the adult beverages I bring on board in my room, but I've read of many people who do bring their glass to dinner. They say you avoid the corkage fee that way.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

We have in the past brought on beer, but in our last several cruises we just got the mug. I like the Shock Top and the Longboard, DH prefers the Stella or what is that, 687 on the Dream? I am not sure that we "get our money's worth" but it is pretty convenient. I buy mixed drinks such as Konk Koolers onboard or at Castaway Cay! Unless you really prefer beers that are not available on board, I think the mug is a better deal or the "bucket of beer" you can get poolside or on Castaway.

Wine is another story, however. If we are traveling with other family members we will get the wine package to share at dinner, and just bring a few bottles for a pre-dinner drink on the verandah. If we aren't with others, we bring a bottle per day (not each! DH prefers red and I prefer whites), have a drink before dinner, bring one to dinner, and will at times have a late night glass. This allows me to have some of what I like and some of what he likes. We keep the unfinished bottles in the room cooler to finish the next day. We always fly in the day before, and make a stop at a liquor store. We wrap the bottles in bubble wrap we brought with us, and carry them on in a rolling duffle with some towels. Then we have an empty bag for souvenirs!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
I'm not a scientist, but I kind of look at the issue scientifically...if I'm going to be carrying on alcohol per the DCL policy, I'm going to make it worth my while in terms of alcohol content. Beer just doesn't have enough alcoholic density in my opinion to justify the large volume and weight that must be dealt with.
You aren't drinking the right beers! Their are plenty out there that contain 8%+ alcohol content and taste very good. Though, I do understand that 1 bottle of liquor will take up a lot less room!

OP:
We didn't bring anything on our first DCL cruise and we regretted that. It was only 4 days so it wasn't that bad. We did cave and buy a drink of the day, once or twice.

DCL doesn't serve the type of beer we normally enjoy. Will we drink cheap lagers? Yes. Are they are favorite? Heck no. So, we don't want to pay premium price for something that is just mediocre to us. We like a lot of different beers ranging from micro-brew, craft, and imports. I like a lot of Belgian ales. We will stock up on a selection of our favorites and bring those on board.

The mug is tempting, but I'd rather have something I love the taste of.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #19
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
How do you open the bottle? Bring your own corkscrew? Or do you borrow from a bartender?

Jodie
Your stateroom host will bring you a corkscrew. They will also bring you glasses. You can take a glass of wine into the dining rooms when you go to dinner.

We've taken our own alcohol on board without issue. We just sailed in Sept and took a soft sided cooler with cans of beer. We rolled is on as a carry on when we boarded the ship. No problems. We also took wine and never had a problem with corkscrew or glasses being brought to the room. This allowed us to have a glass of wine while getting ready as well as take a glass to dinner.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

We actually spend quite a bit of time in our cabin just relaxing. That is something we rarely do at home. We sit on the balcony, turn the stateroom tv to the navigation channel and enjoy the wine and beer we brought on-board. For us it is worth it to bring a few bottles of wine and the beer my husband likes.

ETA:we bring our own corkscrew with no issue. Our last cruise we even brought a package of plastic wine glasses so we would not need to get any from room service.
Also we just packed a rolling suitcase each. We drove for both of our cruises so it was no issue for us. I had the wine, my husband packed the beer.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 11-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
Your stateroom host will bring you a corkscrew. They will also bring you glasses. You can take a glass of wine into the dining rooms when you go to dinner.

We've taken our own alcohol on board without issue. We just sailed in Sept and took a soft sided cooler with cans of beer. We rolled is on as a carry on when we boarded the ship. No problems. We also took wine and never had a problem with corkscrew or glasses being brought to the room. This allowed us to have a glass of wine while getting ready as well as take a glass to dinner.
I read on another thread where you can't bring the soft sided coolers any more (not sure why). I suppose a carry-on suitcase would work though. Nice to know they will bring me glasses and a corkscrew. Can't wait to relax on my balcony with glass of wine in hand!
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib
We actually spend quite a bit of time in our cabin just relaxing. That is something we rarely do at home. We sit on the balcony, turn the stateroom tv to the navigation channel and enjoy the wine and beer we brought on-board. For us it is worth it to bring a few bottles of wine and the beer my husband likes.

ETA:we bring our own corkscrew with no issue. Our last cruise we even brought a package of plastic wine glasses so we would not need to get any from room service.
Also we just packed a rolling suitcase each. We drove for both of our cruises so it was no issue for us. I had the wine, my husband packed the beer.
We did the same thing while the kids were sleeping! Weather was perfect for our cruise to hang out on the balcony!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedxPanda View Post
You aren't drinking the right beers! Their are plenty out there that contain 8%+ alcohol content and taste very good. Though, I do understand that 1 bottle of liquor will take up a lot less room!

OP:
We didn't bring anything on our first DCL cruise and we regretted that. It was only 4 days so it wasn't that bad. We did cave and buy a drink of the day, once or twice.

DCL doesn't serve the type of beer we normally enjoy. Will we drink cheap lagers? Yes. Are they are favorite? Heck no. So, we don't want to pay premium price for something that is just mediocre to us. We like a lot of different beers ranging from micro-brew, craft, and imports. I like a lot of Belgian ales. We will stock up on a selection of our favorites and bring those on board.

The mug is tempting, but I'd rather have something I love the taste of.
You're absolutely right RedxPanda. When I'm on DCL I AM drinking the wrong beers. We should start a thread of greatest beers ever brought onboard, or something like that. In honor or your suggestion, I've decided to change my mind and bring a bottle of Allagash Curieux on my next cruise, along with the stronger stuff! Only thing I need to work out is how to keep it cool on the way down...
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I always bring wine onboard with us but I have to say I find the prices for wine/beer and other cocktails fairly reasonable. I have been to many, many land b ased establishements that charge more than the ship does.

A "drink of the day" can be under $5.00...not too bad.

I find the wine by the glass to be reasonable but do agree that the bottles have a big mark up.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: