Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #256
jsails
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
So, we're watching Boardwalk Empire (which was awesome, btw), when we hear several loud knocking noises on the front deck (which is elevated)....

Life lesson #32.....Do NOT leave your 19lb turkey on the bench outside the front door to slowly defrost....although it is somewhat funny watching a black bear struggle to munch on a frozen blob of poultry

Larry (briefly) considered running down the steps to retrieve the bird, but decided he'd rather live to go on vacation. Smart man.
hahahaha.....SMART man! 🐻
jsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #257
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Good Morning, Happy Cruisers!

Quote:
So, we're watching Boardwalk Empire (which was awesome, btw), when we hear several loud knocking noises on the front deck (which is elevated)....

Life lesson #32.....Do NOT leave your 19lb turkey on the bench outside the front door to slowly defrost....although it is somewhat funny watching a black bear struggle to munch on a frozen blob of poultry

Larry (briefly) considered running down the steps to retrieve the bird, but decided he'd rather live to go on vacation. Smart man.

That beats ANY Thanksgiving story I've heard yet. (I looked to see if you lived in Alaska. because it sounds like a story my friend in Eagle River could tell.)

I've already been to the gym, grocery store, prepared breakfast and made a cake. Scrapbook goodies are packed, packing schedule is complete, and ornament for exchange is done and packed. Is it time to go yet?

Happy Day, all!
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #258
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Crew View Post
I’ve been out of state the past week and boy did I have a lot to catch up on. My Grandma had a massive stroke on the left side of her brain. She passes away peacefully last night. !
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your Grandma sounds like she had a wonderful life and a great family to support her. It's great that you had this much time with her! Both of my grandmothers died when I was very young. My father's mother died when I was three, and I actually remember her! My mother's mother died when I was 16

Quote:

My BIL is an actor who frequently plays "background parts" on Boardwalk Empire and other shows. He had a few parts in "Pan Am" last season, which is the only show that he's been in that I watched LOL!!! He always says that most of his parts are "the blurry guy in the background" or "the blue sleeve next to the main character".

As to what I've accomplished in getting ready for vacation--I finished the baby blanket for my niece's baby shower and all that's left is the sweater and hat. I have to get that in the mail on Friday. I haven't exactly got the ornaments done for the exchange, but I should get them done quickly once I get them started !

I made DH get ALL of his clothes out of the closet and go through them with me. He usually packs by throwing some shirts and some pants into a suitcase. Since he's mostly colorblind, that can make for some very strange outfits. Soooo, we spent some time yesterday picking out a lot of "mix and match" things that will actually match. I gave him the "basic course" on how mix-and-match works and that it will save lots of luggage space, which in turn will save us some money. Enough money that we will send his shirts and pants out to be pressed after we board the ship, which will be a treat for me. The side benefit, of course, is that if he gets up and gets dressed before I do, he won't be wandering around the ship looking like a circus clown in strangely mis-matched items, including socks. So, if you see him somewhere onboard and he's dressed in things that don't match, you can tell him that I said it's OK to send him back to the room to try again. My next door neighbor used to do that now and then if she saw him leaving the house in things that didn't quite work together. Then she became my secretary and we both left together, so I have no idea how many days he went to work in plaid pants and checkered shirts!

Beth
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #259
paulcrsb
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's hilarious! Thanks for the morning laugh!
paulcrsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #260
Moby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Crew View Post
My Grandma had a massive stroke on the left side of her brain. She passes away peacefully last night. There were 20 family members at the hospital for the week and 11 of us were from out of state.
Your Grandma sounds like a fabulous person who was greatly treasured by her family. I'm so sorry for your sudden loss.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #261
LAS2012
Earning My Ears

So Cal Crew -- I am so sorry for your loss. You brought a tear to my eye when reading that there were so many family members together to help send her on to her next journey! I can only hope that one day I am surrounded by loved ones when my time arrives.

Congratulations to JessicasMom and Beth's Husband for making me snort in laughter not once, but TWICE this morning! You know it is starting out to be a good week when bears are stealing thanksgiving dinner and husbands are wearing "What Not To Wear"!

On a side note, I asked 6 year-old DS what he was most looking forward to on our cruise and he said it was the "presents in the pockets" (i.e. FE). Thank you to everybody who is taking the time to make his trip extra-special!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I know I have a great deal to be thankful for this year and the year will get (hopefully) even better with our cruise.
LAS2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #262
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS2012 View Post

Congratulations to JessicasMom and Beth's Husband for making me snort in laughter not once, but TWICE this morning! You know it is starting out to be a good week when bears are stealing thanksgiving dinner and husbands are wearing "What Not To Wear"!
We've been married just about 40 years. I told DH yesterday that I promised the whole "for better and for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health" thing, and we've had them all. I did not promise ANYTHING about in colorblindness or bad fashion sense LOL!!! He's lucky that I've kept him around.

Beth
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #263
LAS2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952
We've been married just about 40 years. I told DH yesterday that I promised the whole "for better and for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health" thing, and we've had them all. I did not promise ANYTHING about in colorblindness or bad fashion sense LOL!!! He's lucky that I've kept him around.

Beth
When DS was smaller, I was pretty sure he was colorblind (he isn't). I must have been pretty freaked out to his pediatrician because he said to me "There are worse things you know! It's no big deal." We'll, I am friends with his wife and it turns out he is colorblind. It makes his wife crazy and she is always on "sock patrol"!
LAS2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #264
mug318ca
Mouseketeer since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS2012 View Post
When DS was smaller, I was pretty sure he was colorblind (he isn't). I must have been pretty freaked out to his pediatrician because he said to me "There are worse things you know! It's no big deal." We'll, I am friends with his wife and it turns out he is colorblind. It makes his wife crazy and she is always on "sock patrol"!
While I am not colorblind, I am fashion impaired. All of my socks are either black or white.
mug318ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #265
PinkPug
Earning My Ears

jessicamom, and i thought southerns were idiots, i stand corrected northerns can be idiots too!!!! ha ha ha
PinkPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #266
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

Last Call for Name Tags

Susan and I cranked out 170+ name tags this weekend. They look really good. Any last requests before I put the laminator away?

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #267
skayrobe
Mouseketeer

Name tags

Thanks so much Jeff and Susan. We are so excited about this cruise. I can't wait to put names to faces. Sherry
skayrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #268
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

Door Magnets

In the past we've printed out door decorations on Avery magnetic paper for inkjet printers. Worked like a charm on 4 cruises.

Seems like at least some people are having issues with magnets sticking to the doors due to the many coats of paint being applied to them over the years. For those that have cruised recently on the Wonder, did you have a problem with magnets sticking? All magnets or only weaker magnets? Got to get my door decorations done soon so I need to decide what to do.

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by Jeff Spencer; 11-19-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #269
Chinook
Sail Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Spencer View Post
Susan and I cranked out 170+ name tags this weekend. They look really good. Any last requests before I put the laminator away?
Thank you Jeff and Susan! The name tags are so thoughtful!
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #270
mug318ca
Mouseketeer since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Spencer View Post
In the past we've printed out door decorations on Avery magnetic paper for inkjet printers. Worked like a charm on 4 cruises.

Seems like at least some people are having issues with magnets sticking to the doors due to the many coats of paint being applied to them over the years. For those that have cruised recently on the Wonder, did you have a problem with magnets sticking? All magnets or only weaker magnets? Got to get my door decorations done soon so I need to decide what to do.

We had trouble during our Alaska cruise in May of this year. While there were some spots that wouldn't take magnets, others would. We have a smaller number of magnets than you and can be placed anywhere so we didn't have much of an issue. On the otherhand, if the door slammed shut, some of the magnets fell off.
mug318ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: