Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #46
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer
 
charmedlife3517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 132

The maple creme brulee at le cellier was not that great and i love maple. Don't know if you can get it anywhere else. The creme brulee at Narcoosees was sooooo good.
__________________
ME (Jessica) DH (Mike) DD9 (Breanna) DS6 (Braden) DDOG (Lexie) DDOG (Bruno)


charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
Penguindust
Earning My Ears
 
Penguindust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16

Rice Cream in Norway or the Bakery in France.
__________________
DVC Members OKW
2006 WL - Honeymoon
2008 OKW - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and UnDiscovered Future World Tour and Disney's Family Magic Tour
2010 BLT - Keys to the Kingdom Tour
2011 Feb. DL GCV - A Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour & Dec. OKW, AKL, BLT - Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and Candlelight Processional
2012 CB - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
2013 BCV, DCL aboard the Disney Dream for DVC Member Cruise
Penguindust is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #48
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
We are having dinner a few nights while we are in epcot and afterwards while we are walking around, we would like to stop and get a dessert. Any suggestions?


I think this is the funniest question anyone has ever asked
Is the grass green? Is the water wet? Is the sun brite?

Oh man, I have but one word ~ Werther's Germany, Karamell-Küche

The FRESHLY made karamell corn is aaammmaaazzziiinnnggg, but you really can't go wrong with anything in the store!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #49
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

I have to disagree about the bakery in France. It's quaint and everything looks delish, but my mother, daughter, and I all sampled various pastries from there on our last trip and were roundly disappointed. They didn't really seem French at all. They lacked the richness and butter that nearly all bakeries these days do. Honestly, old Italian bakeries in NJ are WAY better. I'd be surprised if butter is an ingredient in any of their items, and you simply can't make excellent pastries without it. This is a high-output Disney eatery, which no doubt means a lot of frozen and processed products go into everything you see and presentation is almost always better than flavor. Napoleons in particular have a very low chance of being really good if they're sitting in a case b/c those thin layers of pastry need to be crisp, and they absolutely won't stay that way in a refrigerated case. That said, it's all in what you're used to of course. I'm definitely a baked good snob and not easily impressed in that dept.

I'm planning to try the school bread and some cupcakes this time around, and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #50
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 12,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
This is a high-output Disney eatery, which no doubt means a lot of frozen and processed products go into everything you see and presentation is almost always better than flavor. Napoleons in particular have a very low chance of being really good if they're sitting in a case b/c those thin layers of pastry need to be crisp, and they absolutely won't stay that way in a refrigerated case. That said, it's all in what you're used to of course.
Sorry you didn't like your pastries at Epcot. Thankfully you have better in N. J. Just be glad you don't live in Europe- in our years living there I wasn't often able to find pastries any better than at Epcot.

Not sure how your NJ bakeries handle their cream filled pastries, but I have never seen a recipe for pastry cream that didn't require refrigeration. And I am also pretty sure that a temperature and humidity controlled glass case is better for the puff pastry than sitting out on an open shelf in the heat and humidity of Florida. Something tells me that refrigeration would also be required by the food inspectors. Perhaps you got a bad batch? I've never had a problem with soggy or unflaky pastries. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

Last edited by minnie mum; 11-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
theguda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 250

Has anyone gotten the caramel corn recently at Karamel Kulche and if so...was it crunchy or chewy?

The first time I got it...it was warm and the popcorn was crunchy. It was by far the best caramel corn I've ever tasted. Every time since then however the corn has been chewy and it hasn't been nearly as good.
theguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #52
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguda View Post
Has anyone gotten the caramel corn recently at Karamel Kulche and if so...was it crunchy or chewy?

The first time I got it...it was warm and the popcorn was crunchy. It was by far the best caramel corn I've ever tasted. Every time since then however the corn has been chewy and it hasn't been nearly as good.
I get it all the time, I do know what your talking about, I guess it depends on how fresh, the "fresh" popcorn is, but I like it either way... It's just so humid in Florida so I think it's hard to keep things fresh, unless they put it in an air tight container.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #53
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Sorry you didn't like your pastries at Epcot. Thankfully you have better in N. J. Just be glad you don't live in Europe- in our years living there I wasn't often able to find pastries any better than at Epcot.

Not sure how your NJ bakeries handle their cream filled pastries, but I have never seen a recipe for pastry cream that didn't require refrigeration. And I am also pretty sure that a temperature and humidity controlled glass case is better for the puff pastry than sitting out on an open shelf in the heat and humidity of Florida. Something tells me that refrigeration would also be required by the food inspectors. Perhaps you got a bad batch? I've never had a problem with soggy or unflaky pastries. Maybe I've just been fortunate.
I don't actually live in NJ but have a friend who always raves about the bakeries from there and when I finally had the chance to try them, I found out she was right. So few bakeries these days do it the "old school" way with high quality ingredients. Where I live, we don't have any really good bakeries, unfortunately. I like to bake so I'm always disappointed to find I can make better at home. (esp. annoying if the bakery item is expensive)

You're right about pastry cream of course, but I just mean that items that should be crisp need to be assembled right before eating rather than sitting in a case all day. The moisture from the cream just kills the crisp. I'm not trying to poo-poo Disney or even Boulangerie, but just wanted to explain my opinion for those who may have similar tastes. It's kind of like mixed drinks I suppose. Some can taste the difference b/w a premium liquor and other while I'd be clueless. But with baked goods, I definitely perceive the difference in the quality of ingredients while some others may not. Again, it really depends on what you're used to.
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #54
bandit90
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 79

Definitely the caramel place in Germany. My aunt and I always have to get the strawberries there.
bandit90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #55
bound4wdw
Mouseketeer
 
bound4wdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 194

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but back in 2004, we had a blueberry pastry at CRT that was so awesome we had to ask for extras. We were there in September, and now they don't have it anymore. French toast pie was great though.
__________________
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/pbt068zb5sabikvk.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>
bound4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
figment_jii
DIS Veteran
 
figment_jii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by bound4wdw View Post
I'm not sure if anyone remembers but back in 2004, we had a blueberry pastry at CRT that was so awesome we had to ask for extras. We were there in September, and now they don't have it anymore. French toast pie was great though.
Just to clarify, did you mean Akershus? (CRT is over in the MK and the OP was asking about World Showcase in Epcot.)

Another dessert/snack that I found that is good is the caramel ginger ice cream in China (the tea stand had it a few weeks ago).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #57
BayouBelle77
Earning My Ears
 
BayouBelle77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 48

Norway - Kringla Bakeri og Kafe - cloudberry horn
Germany - Karamell Kuche - chocolate covered caramels
France - Boulangerie Patisserie - chocolate mousse
Mexico - La Cantina de San Angel - churros
__________________
"I would do it! I would kiss a frog! I would kiss a hundred frogs if I could marry a prince and be a princess!"

WDW Pop Century (November 2011)
WDW Pop Century (March 2011)
WDW Pop Century (February 2009)
WDW Coronado Springs (February 2008)
WDW All Star Music (December 2002)
WDW off property (May 1993)
WDW off property (September 1990)
WDW off property (September 1987)
BayouBelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.