Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
WVMomof3
Mouseketeer
 
WVMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 308

Justin Bieber Concert

Has anyone been to this concert recently and can tell me how long the show is from start to finish? Carly Rae Jepson is opening act. I have looked online and gotten various answers from 90 minutes to 3.5 hours. Big difference. My daughter is going to concert with a friend tomorrow and I may need to go pick her up, so I would like a general idea of when show will be over. It starts at 7:00.

Thanks for anyone that can help!
__________________
January 1995 WDW Honeymoon - Off site / January 2002 WDW Off site / April 23-30, 2005 WDW POR / June 10 - 17, 2006 WDW Offsite Pool Home / June 8 - 19,2007 Southern California - DisneyLand / June 7 - 16, 2008 WDW Windsor Hill Pool home / July 30 - Aug 8, 2010 - Vista Cay, WDW and Universal / July 30 - Aug 6, 2011 WDW Windsor Hill Magic Palace / Febuary 21 -25, 2013 AKL Kidani Village Princess Half Marathon Weekend

(DH) (Me) (DD15) (DD13) (DS11)
WVMomof3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,509

I haven't been to this particular concert, but here's my experience in general.

1. Show will not start at 7pm. It will most likely begin, at best, between 7:15--7:30.

2. Opening act will play for 30 minutes.

3. Reset stage for main act. Can take 10 minutes or 30 minutes depending on set.

4. Main act should be about 90 minutes.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
mnrose
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,603

OT, but I am completely blown away by the times that "pass" for a concert these days. I compare that to Springsteen, who plays (non stop, with no opening act) for a bare minimum of 3 hours. 90 minutes? Really?

I took DD to an Owl City concert this summer, and the whole thing (opening act included and time to reset) took less than 2 hours.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
OT, but I am completely blown away by the times that "pass" for a concert these days. I compare that to Springsteen, who plays (non stop, with no opening act) for a bare minimum of 3 hours. 90 minutes? Really?

I took DD to an Owl City concert this summer, and the whole thing (opening act included and time to reset) took less than 2 hours.
1. Bruce Springsteen has quite a back catalog, not only of songs diehard fans would know, but of huge hits. It's easy for him to do a three hour concert of his own material. Owl City and Justin Bieber have only a few hit songs, so unless they fill a concert with album tracks and/or covers, they simply don't have the material.

2. The market tells entertainment providers what is valuable and how to price it:
-- Consumers no longer buy recorded music -- approx 90% of all music today is downloaded illegally, so the money to be made in the industry comes from live tours and merchandise. Therefore, there is huge incentive to maximize profits by decreasing costs (and one way to do that is by decreasing the length of concerts).
--Consumers no longer consider actual singing ability to be important either in their recorded or live music, so many of today's most popular musical acts do not have the natural vocal ability or training to permit longer concerts. Even singers with actual singing ability have no background in live singing and/or vocal ability and are much more likely to blow out their voices.
--Consumers are willing to pay top dollar for 90 minute concerts, so there is no incentive to provide a longer show.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
mnrose
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
1. Bruce Springsteen has quite a back catalog, not only of songs diehard fans would know, but of huge hits. It's easy for him to do a three hour concert of his own material. Owl City and Justin Bieber have only a few hit songs, so unless they fill a concert with album tracks and/or covers, they simply don't have the material.

2. The market tells entertainment providers what is valuable and how to price it:
-- Consumers no longer buy recorded music -- approx 90% of all music today is downloaded illegally, so the money to be made in the industry comes from live tours and merchandise. Therefore, there is huge incentive to maximize profits by decreasing costs (and one way to do that is by decreasing the length of concerts).
--Consumers no longer consider actual singing ability to be important either in their recorded or live music, so many of today's most popular musical acts do not have the natural vocal ability or training to permit longer concerts. Even singers with actual singing ability have no background in live singing and/or vocal ability and are much more likely to blow out their voices.
--Consumers are willing to pay top dollar for 90 minute concerts, so there is no incentive to provide a longer show.
I somewhat agree with this....however, Bruce was playing 3.5 hour concerts back in 1977-78 (when I first saw him live), and then his "catalog" of recorded music was probably smaller than Biebers at this point. I do think that musicians today generally don't have to have the same level of natural singing ability (because of auto tune, etc), and don't have the ability to pull off a concert of that length (let alone the stamina).

I have been spoiled by Springsteen though. It was just shocking to have the Owl City concert end so quickly....at a point where you would barely be past the warm up of the show.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
OT, but I am completely blown away by the times that "pass" for a concert these days. I compare that to Springsteen, who plays (non stop, with no opening act) for a bare minimum of 3 hours. 90 minutes? Really?

I took DD to an Owl City concert this summer, and the whole thing (opening act included and time to reset) took less than 2 hours.
One of these is a concert. One of these is a show. A concert has singing, music, interaction, etc. A show has a preprogrammed set of lip synching and choreography.

Springsteen puts on a concert.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: long island, new york
Posts: 5,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
1. Bruce Springsteen has quite a back catalog, not only of songs diehard fans would know, but of huge hits. It's easy for him to do a three hour concert of his own material. Owl City and Justin Bieber have only a few hit songs, so unless they fill a concert with album tracks and/or covers, they simply don't have the material.

2. The market tells entertainment providers what is valuable and how to price it:
-- Consumers no longer buy recorded music -- approx 90% of all music today is downloaded illegally, so the money to be made in the industry comes from live tours and merchandise. Therefore, there is huge incentive to maximize profits by decreasing costs (and one way to do that is by decreasing the length of concerts).
--Consumers no longer consider actual singing ability to be important either in their recorded or live music, so many of today's most popular musical acts do not have the natural vocal ability or training to permit longer concerts. Even singers with actual singing ability have no background in live singing and/or vocal ability and are much more likely to blow out their voices.
--Consumers are willing to pay top dollar for 90 minute concerts, so there is no incentive to provide a longer show.
I agree with most of this, except I'm not sure how decreasing the length of a show achieves maximizing costs. The production cost will be the same if the show is 90 minutes or three hours, unless an artist decides to play overtime.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
WVMomof3
Mouseketeer
 
WVMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 308

Bumping back up to see if anyone knows. Sounds like probably be done between 9:30 -10:00. She will be 1.5 hours away, so don't want to wait long, but don't want to be late either!
__________________
January 1995 WDW Honeymoon - Off site / January 2002 WDW Off site / April 23-30, 2005 WDW POR / June 10 - 17, 2006 WDW Offsite Pool Home / June 8 - 19,2007 Southern California - DisneyLand / June 7 - 16, 2008 WDW Windsor Hill Pool home / July 30 - Aug 8, 2010 - Vista Cay, WDW and Universal / July 30 - Aug 6, 2011 WDW Windsor Hill Magic Palace / Febuary 21 -25, 2013 AKL Kidani Village Princess Half Marathon Weekend

(DH) (Me) (DD15) (DD13) (DS11)
WVMomof3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
dispor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMomof3 View Post
Bumping back up to see if anyone knows. Sounds like probably be done between 9:30 -10:00. She will be 1.5 hours away, so don't want to wait long, but don't want to be late either!
Have you tried calling the venue to ask?

My girls are going tonight, too, but they're spending the night in Pittsburgh with their aunt.

If you can't find out, then I'd be in the general area by 9:00 so that you can get to them quick when it is over. I'd find a Walmart or Target and get some stocking stuffer shopping done!

Hope they all have fun! (When I heard that Selena was hospitalized, I thought "Boy, I hope he doesn't go running to her side..." even though they have split up. Bad, I know.
dispor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)
 
Starbrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 889

We're going tonight too.

For anyone that hasn't heard Carly Rae Jepsen will not be singing...she's sick & cancelled. No word on whether she'll be replaced with someone else, or if it's just additional Bieber time, or if Bieber will start/end earlier than normal.
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.