Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
emc1123
Erin

Well, we have decided on SBP for the ceremony, Still undecided about reception, can't seem to agree, and then we want a dessert party.
What do you think about having a gap between the reception and the dessert party?
We are deciding between 12 and 2:30 for the ceremony.
If 12, lunch would be about 1-4 and there would be a 4 hour gap til the dessert party for illuminations. I think that might be nice for guests to go change and hang around Epcot til its time.
Or we have the 2:30 which would have dinner over around 7:30-8 and then right to the party with no gap.
Thoughts?
Thanks

**SBP/ADH**

Last edited by emc1123; 11-18-2012 at 12:27 PM.
emc1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Usually I'm not a fan of the big break in festivities. In this case I guess I would go earlier with a gap long enough for people to relax and refresh. It would also depend (to me) on what the transportation options/offerings would be.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

I think that a gap between reception and dessert party is preferable. Every PJ I've read that had the dessert party immediately after complained that their guests were too full from the reception to eat the desserts they spent so much money on.

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
emc1123
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess
I think that a gap between reception and dessert party is preferable. Every PJ I've read that had the dessert party immediately after complained that their guests were too full from the reception to eat the desserts they spent so much money on.
Thanks for the advice, do I need to provide transportation to the dp or can they make there own way, if I have a 3 or 4 hr gap?

**SBP/ADH**

Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
TBdisneyMC
Mouseketeer

We had a 10am SBP ceremony with reception until 2pm, then the Dessert Party at 8pm. We liked the time in between and thought the gap was long enough so everyone can have time to do what they want (park time, relax, etc.) Some of our guests enjoyed the time so much that they went to DtD and decided not to come back for the DP...but that's a different issue...

I've heard different reports about transportation, and I'm not sure if it depends on the party's location. Not sure if some require a bus, or whatever, so I'll just let you know what we did (in Aug '11). We had everyone use Disney buses or drive, then we had a Disney Guide meet them at the front gate. DH and I also met a Guide at the IG entrance bc we were staying at BWI. It was $90 for each Guide. I've never heard anyone else say that they had a Guide meet guests at the front gate, so not sure if it's not usually done or if others aren't as cheap as us . Our Dessert Party was scheduled to be at UK Lochside but got moved to the American Adventure parlor because of a threat of rain. I felt bad that our guests had to walk aaallll the way from the front to the back, but I didn't think of that possibility when we planned it. So, that's definitely something to consider.

I hope some other, more experience/recent brides come along to answer your questions, but I wanted to share our experience. Either way, I believe, guests not using a ticket need to meet a guide at the gate or take transportation you provide.
.......~ šoš ~ Aug '06 - CSR ~ šoš ~ May '09 - POR ~ šoš ~ Aug '10 - POR ~ šoš ~ Mar '11 - POR ~ šoš ~
~ Aug '11 - POR/BWI (Our wedding) ~ šoš ~ Nov '11 - WL ~ šoš ~ Feb '12 - WL ~ šoš ~ Feb '13 - POFQ ~
TBdisneyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
emc1123
Erin

My fiance is afraid that people won't want to come back if they are left on their own for hours, that they would get caught up and not feel it. He said that if he was the guest, he wouldn't, .

**SBP/ADH**

Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
sambycat
DIS Veteran

I think most people do have a break and if you didn't you have to be super careful of how long the day is? 8+ hours all dolled up for folks (and kids?) is slot IMHO. Ideally it would, to me, be the dessert portion of the reception, like instead of dancing etc, so the wedding would be a dinner one. I would be one who once I had a break and took off all the gear, I wouldn't want to go back- and honestly if it were a BIG wedding where I might not be missed, I might skip it! That said, if the dessert party was casual I'd've all OCR it!

Good luck!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

Have you considered having a 2:30 ceremony? We had a 2:30 ceremony at SBP, 3 pm pre reception followed by the reception which went to 8pm. That would give you time to get somewhere for wishes possibly. I know there's an extra 2k, but if you think you're going to go over the 10k minimum you might want to consider just starting with the 2:30 time.
kkbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
emc1123
Erin

Thanks for the info. We have decided on the 2:30 ceremony, better to keep things flowing!

**SBP/ADH**

Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

We just did our VR less than 2 weeks ago. Our ceremony was at 9 in Epcot and our reception went until 2. Our DP was that night at 8. We loved the break in between. I ended up not doing the DP in my dress, but it still was awesome. All of our guests made it no problem. It was a great end to the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: