Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Any vegetarians at 'Ohana lately?

The kids and I are vegetarian but dh will enjoy the posted menu. Just wondering if we'd eat all but the meat/seafood or if they'd bring us something different in its place? Thanks!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Dalamara
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese
The kids and I are vegetarian but dh will enjoy the posted menu. Just wondering if we'd eat all but the meat/seafood or if they'd bring us something different in its place? Thanks!

I've heard they will also offer some sort of veggie option as well. I haven't experienced it myself though, so I can't be positive.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

I haven't been super recently (will be returning to Ohana in January), but here is what I received the last couple of times I went:

Hummus and baba ganoush with pita chips for an app
Tofu and vegetable stir-fry with rice and tempura vegetables in sauce

I believe this is what is still being offered to vegetarians - you can probably find pictures on the Vegetarian/Vegan Dining thread. Then the salad, noodles, broccoli, and (obviously) dessert are all vegetarian as well.

You definitely won't leave hungry!

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
DeborahA
DIS Veteran

my MIL is a veggie. She was included in all the parts of the meal except the shrimp and meats. They brought her a bowl of stir-fry with tofu. She loved it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

I have a vegetarian that won't eat hummus or tofu, I would imagine they could just leave those out of the vegetarian dishes? Hopefully this won't cause much of a problem, it has been 12 years since I've been to 'Ohana so I'm really looking forward to returning. All I remember from the last time was the fantastic wings and spring rolls (which haven't been offered in many, many years).
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
jgplimdesign
Under the spell of a very famous mouse. . .

I ate at 'Ohana November 1st!

My entree was a little different than it was last fall. . .

In both instances an appetizer of hummus, red pepper hummus and baba ganoush was served with pita points. The baba ganoush was delicious---though I dipped broccoli or the bread service-----only cause the pita was really, really hard and didn't appeal to me personally.

My entree was stir fried veggies-----lots of red peppers, onions, some broccoli---roasted potato wedges and tofu. As with last year, by the time I've had some bread, the salad, noodles, broccoli/snow peas. . .I'm pretty set. . .sadly, barely made a dent in the entree but did eat all the tofu. . .

Last year the entree was a stir fry of veggies and tofu as well---though it was served over rice instead of being accompanied by potato wedges.

I didn't speak to a chef during either visit. I let the server know I desired a vegetarian entree-----they said, ok. . .and that is where the conversation ended. I was fine with that. I had read in the disboards what people were offered in the past and knew I'd be fine. . .

Word of warning. . .I thought the hummus plate was sort of a SIGN to the servers. . .but I guess not, cause they continually tried to serve me meat?! I just politely declined and figured they'd eventually realize. . .but it took one guy three times before he gave up. I was glad when my entree arrived!
WDW visits: 1974 (age 4), 1976, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1998, 2000, October 2004, October 2005, October 2006, October 2007, March 2009, February/March 2010, October/November 2010, October/November 2011, October/November 2012, May 2013. December 2013
jgplimdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgplimdesign View Post
I ate at 'Ohana November 1st!

My entree was a little different than it was last fall. . .

In both instances an appetizer of hummus, red pepper hummus and baba ganoush was served with pita points. The baba ganoush was delicious---though I dipped broccoli or the bread service-----only cause the pita was really, really hard and didn't appeal to me personally.

My entree was stir fried veggies-----lots of red peppers, onions, some broccoli---roasted potato wedges and tofu. As with last year, by the time I've had some bread, the salad, noodles, broccoli/snow peas. . .I'm pretty set. . .sadly, barely made a dent in the entree but did eat all the tofu. . .

Last year the entree was a stir fry of veggies and tofu as well---though it was served over rice instead of being accompanied by potato wedges.

I didn't speak to a chef during either visit. I let the server know I desired a vegetarian entree-----they said, ok. . .and that is where the conversation ended. I was fine with that. I had read in the disboards what people were offered in the past and knew I'd be fine. . .

Word of warning. . .I thought the hummus plate was sort of a SIGN to the servers. . .but I guess not, cause they continually tried to serve me meat?! I just politely declined and figured they'd eventually realize. . .but it took one guy three times before he gave up. I was glad when my entree arrived!
All of those options sound great, thanks! How odd about the servers!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

I used to love Ohana when chef TJ was there - he would really put something special together for vegetarians. The veggie/tofu stirfry they brought me last time was decent, but I feel like for the price it should be better. Wish they gave vegetarians a discount!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
BigEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I disliked the vegetarian meal with tofu, hummous and rice. Just wasn't very nice. But then I hate the texture of tofu- just YUCK!!!

I don't think 'Ohana is a good choice for vegetarians personally. It seems to be a very meat orientated meal.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
I have a vegetarian that won't eat hummus or tofu, I would imagine they could just leave those out of the vegetarian dishes? Hopefully this won't cause much of a problem, it has been 12 years since I've been to 'Ohana so I'm really looking forward to returning. All I remember from the last time was the fantastic wings and spring rolls (which haven't been offered in many, many years).
I can't imagine it would be a problem to leave the tofu out of the stir-fry. I would just let your server know as early in the meal as possible.

As far as hummus, it's really just pita chips with hummus and baba ganoush (which is a similar consistency), so the vegetarian in your party may just opt to not get that at all. Personally, I think there is more than enough food between the salad, noodles, broccoli, entree, and dessert.

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: