Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #76
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,344

Literally haven't read one post except the OP.


No, I don't think it would be great if Signatures instituted that policy. And I don't even have kids! But I was a kid once. A kid who was well behaved and ate late dinners with my parents at restaurants like Cali Grill all the time, from a wee lass. So no, I don't think that would be great. Why punish the people with well behaved children? Why not just use the adult self regulation that you have in you to block out your surroundings and enjoy your own meal?

If it were me, I don't give a rat's patoot if there's a kiddo passed out in a booth next to me at Cali Grill. Why should I care? Shoot he's asleep! Good for him! Cheers to his parents! On the other hand, if my dinner was absolutely so disrupted by loud, screaming, unruly, un-watched children, I would ask to speak with a manager, explain that my dinner was ruined, and ask for an adjustment to our bill. That's what Disney managers do when screaming kids ruin your Signature dinners

__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #77
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
Since you are late, welcome! And make sure you "catch up" on the thread before you post.

Definitely not necessary.


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea2289 View Post
Just to be clear, it is NOT necessary to read through the entire thread when replying. It's perfectly acceptable to reply to the OP without reading a 5+ page thread...


Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Disagree - very rude to jump in without bothering to see what has already been covered,
Yes, omg, so rude. Very rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
It affects my dinner when said sleeping child is kicking me and I have to scoot over to give them room to spread out.
And, no, I did not speak to their parents. It is their job to parent properly, not mine. I know some might say that if I don't speak up, I am as much to blame, but I disagree. Most confrontations don't end well, no matter how politely they are initiated. People tend to get defensive and it would probably ruin a lovely meal even more.
Well, now that I've gone back and read through your whole 5 page thread and see more of your replies, including this one, yes we totally disagree. I specifically commented on why would a sleeping child bother you, and now I see why. For you to sit there and be kicked, and move over because you were being kicked, and say nothing, well yes that is your problem and yours alone. If you didn't want to say anything to the parents, say something to your server, like how you would like to be moved immediately so you can try to enjoy what's left of your dinner. If they can't accommodate that the manager can adjust your bill.

You may not be able to control the stuff that happens to you, but you can take action and get a resolution in the moment. It's very liberating and makes up for the crap that happens.
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #78
Colleen27
DIS Veteran
 
Colleen27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,787

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTC View Post
I don't disagree; however, it is the world we live in, unfortunately, and isn't going to change anytime soon. We have kids paying thousands and thousand in college tuition who don't pay attention in class/seminar because they are 'electronically distracted' and I see it reflected on their tests/quizzes. I digress...

I'd rather a child with a DS/headphones than a screaming, meltdown. A sleeping child wouldn't bother me either. However, we have a strict no electronics policy at dinner, whether home or away.
We have the same policy, but I agree - it is the age we live in. Heck, on our last trip I couldn't believe the number of kids, mostly in the 9-14 age range, walking around the Most Magical Place on Earth with their nose in a phone/iPod. I mean seriously, I can understand them as entertainment in lines but while walking around the parks? IMO that's rude, particularly for those who can't adequately direct themselves so as not to bump into others, but it is more than that... This is a generation that needs/craves that electronic stimulation so much that even walking around the parks is "downtime" to be filled.


Quote:
A gently worded recommendation encouraging patrons with children under 10 to arrange SIGNATURE DINING ADR's prior to 7:30 would probably help. I allege 30% of reasonable parents would adhere to the recommendation and that would be SOMETHING, better than nothing and it seems that Disney doesn't do ANYTHING to avoid the above scenarios, unruly/disruptive children. They would definitely do something about an unruly adult, yes? I would hope. These things CAN be managed, it just seems they aren't on any level. There is a way to handle certain situations and good management knows that.
I think the issue with a recommendation is that the self-select nature would mean that the conscientious parents who already take their kids' schedules and personalities into account and address rather than ignore behaviour issues would be the 30% following it. The parents who are oblivious or self-centered enough to ignore meltdowns and inappropriate behaviour at the table are the ones most likely to ignore a recommendation.

I agree that management could handle it, but at this point it appears to be Disney policy not to do so. They don't really do anything about disruptive adults either.
__________________
~~**Colleen & Crew**~~
POR 10/05 ~ BC 08/07 ~ WL 01/08 ~ CBR 12/09 ~ POP 03/11 TR/ DR
POP 1/12 TR ~ ASSp 5/12 ~ CSR 3/13 ~ POP 4/13 ~ ASMu 12/13


Colleen27 is online now  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #79
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran
 
heatherandnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: delaware
Posts: 625

Wow, people certainly do get nasty on these threads! . I can see why they commonly get closed.

Again, thank you to EVERYONE who replied. I wanted opinions, and that's certainly what I got. For those of you who tell me to go somewhere other than Disney to get away from kids....um...... No. Lol

For those of you who have well behaved children who can handle finer dining... Good for you! I am happy you don't have to miss put on what you/your family enjoy(s. perhaps you could offer lessons to some others.

For those who agree with me or believe there should be an adult-only section (which is what I had sort of insinuated in a later post after apologizing for not thinking my original post through...hence the comment about making sure you read the other posts before getting so nasty), glad I'm not on my own in "having no heart" as someone posted earlier. Lol.

Perhaps the mods should close this....

Thanks again to you all and have a great week!
heatherandnick is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #80
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,964

I would ban kids from DW altogether
davedmaine is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
After having kids, I now look at the mom whose kid is having a tantrum with empathy, and not disdain. Learn to have a kind heart.
Not when the kid is kicking me. Had that happen once at Le Cellier while a kid was having a fit and decided he was going to lie down on the booth, stretch out and kick, apparently because he had had enough of sitting still, and the parent made no move to pull the child in from someone else's space. Which I guess is my fault because I didn't have words with the father or ask the server to have words with the father. A kid just sleeping is not a problem although I feel a little sorry for the older ones laid out on two chairs with coats covering them. they need to be in bed. And the kid sleeping on the floor was a little mindblowing.

It does appear to make a difference that some are responding to the first post without reading the thread, because they're the ones that jump in with all the passion and assume the OP doesn't like children and wants to ban all children from WDW rather than just discussing the situation that there are a lot of overtired children in WDW restaurants.

I agree part of the problem comes from Disney's refusal to confront the behavior of guests. That is their policy. Absent a gross disturbance of the peace, WDW staff will usually do nothing. I do recall a kid at 'Ohana constantly blowing a whistle, and after several complaints from nearby tables a server went and had a word with the parents and the whistle got taken away by mom or dad. So sometimes it does happen.

The OP asked to close this. There are some sarcastic responses regarding "how about they ban all children then" but in general this thread is turning out better than others on this subject. Please keep the posting guidelines in mind, because the thread's riding on the edge.
__________________

Last edited by TDC Nala; 11-19-2012 at 09:42 AM.
TDC Nala is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #82
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran
 
Herfnerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Matthews, NC
Posts: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
After having kids, I now look at the mom whose kid is having a tantrum with empathy, and not disdain. Learn to have a kind heart.

**** that that there is anything wrong with kids having a tantrum - I guess I was just lucky that both of my children never did.

However, when the child(ren) begins physically disrupting other diners by throwing things, kicking the booth back or running wildly around the restuarant (all of which I have experienced) and the parents do nothing, than that is a huge issue to me.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Herfnerd; 11-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Herfnerd is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #83
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran
 
heatherandnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: delaware
Posts: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala

Not when the kid is kicking me. Had that happen once at Le Cellier while a kid was having a fit and decided he was going to lie down on the booth, stretch out and kick, apparently because he had had enough of sitting still, and the parent made no move to pull the child in from someone else's space. Which I guess is my fault because I didn't have words with the father or ask the server to have words with the father. A kid just sleeping is not a problem although I feel a little sorry for the older ones laid out on two chairs with coats covering them. they need to be in bed. And the kid sleeping on the floor was a little mindblowing.

It does appear to make a difference that some are responding to the first post without reading the thread, because they're the ones that jump in with all the passion and assume the OP doesn't like children and wants to ban all children from WDW rather than just discussing the situation that there are a lot of overtired children in WDW restaurants.

I agree part of the problem comes from Disney's refusal to confront the behavior of guests. That is their policy. Absent a gross disturbance of the peace, WDW staff will usually do nothing. I do recall a kid at 'Ohana constantly blowing a whistle, and after several complaints from nearby tables a server went and had a word with the parents and the whistle got taken away by mom or dad. So sometimes it does happen.

The OP asked to close this. There are some sarcastic responses regarding "how about they ban all children then" but in general this thread is turning out better than others on this subject. Please keep the posting guidelines in mind, because the thread's riding on the edge.
Thank you. I greatly appreciate everything you wrote and how eloquently it was written.
heatherandnick is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #84
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Not when the kid is kicking me. Had that happen once at Le Cellier while a kid was having a fit and decided he was going to lie down on the booth, stretch out and kick, apparently because he had had enough of sitting still, and the parent made no move to pull the child in from someone else's space. Which I guess is my fault because I didn't have words with the father or ask the server to have words with the father. A kid just sleeping is not a problem although I feel a little sorry for the older ones laid out on two chairs with coats covering them. they need to be in bed. And the kid sleeping on the floor was a little mindblowing.

It does appear to make a difference that some are responding to the first post without reading the thread, because they're the ones that jump in with all the passion and assume the OP doesn't like children and wants to ban all children from WDW rather than just discussing the situation that there are a lot of overtired children in WDW restaurants.

I agree part of the problem comes from Disney's refusal to confront the behavior of guests. That is their policy. Absent a gross disturbance of the peace, WDW staff will usually do nothing. I do recall a kid at 'Ohana constantly blowing a whistle, and after several complaints from nearby tables a server went and had a word with the parents and the whistle got taken away by mom or dad. So sometimes it does happen.

The OP asked to close this. There are some sarcastic responses regarding "how about they ban all children then" but in general this thread is turning out better than others on this subject. Please keep the posting guidelines in mind, because the thread's riding on the edge.
Excuse me, but my post regarding banning all children at WDW was not sarcastic nor facetious. It was a simple comment on a proposal that while 100o/o unlikely, is doable nonetheless. If the premise of banning kids at Disney restaurants for some totally arbitrary time period because those people simply don't want to see kids then my suggestion of banning kids altogether is just as valid.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #85
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

The OP isn't asking to ban all children. If you think her suggestion was tantamount to asking that children be banned from WDW (personally I don't see that), or that she dislikes children and never wants to see them anywhere, then certainly an adult poster can express it without the hyperbole or attacks. Thread's done now.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.