Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Talking My house smells like thanksgiving!

Sweet potatoes baked. I will put on the marshmallows on the big day!

Pumpkin cupcakes and cake baking

I will bake the choco chip cookies tomorrow and the pumpkin pie on Wednesday.My mother and I will make the dumplings!

I always like to have everything done so I can devote thanksgiving to the turkey! Yum.

Then Friday, I have the kids I mentor over to help decorate the house. Busy week! How is everyone's thanksgiving prep going?
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Well so far mostly cleaning not cooking. Today is cleaning ovens day- one done one to go.

While that was happening I made cranberry sauce. mmmmm my favorite leftover of thanksgiving I love eating it on sandwiches days later.

I am debating baking I think that will happen tomorrow. (pumpkin cinnamon chip cookies and a cake of some kind= probably chocolate something) and rolls will be made tomorrow. Or maybe now.... hmmm depends when the oven finishes up.

I will also make the potatoes tomorrow. But the biggies- turkey and spinach pie wait for Tday! I will rub down my turkey tomorrow and leave it uncovered in my hurricane Sandy cleaned fridge- I heard that tip today- gives you a drier skin so it crisps up nicely.

The problem with Thanksgiving is everyone expects to eat all the days leading up to and following! darn kids. So I feel like it's constant cooking. But I agree these are my favorite smells.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

We will be having Thanksgiving up in Kansas with my husband's family. I'm making my apple blueberry pie, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to do that. I have my pumpkin spice candles lit, though. Does that count? It's all the smells of Thanksgiving with none of the calories and none of the temptation to eat it!

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Jealous! Thanksgiving food cooking is one of my favorite smells!

We aren't hosting this year thanks to a bit of family drama so I'll miss all the fun of cooking
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post

Sweet potatoes baked. I will put on the marshmallows on the big day!

Pumpkin cupcakes and cake baking

I will bake the choco chip cookies tomorrow and the pumpkin pie on Wednesday.My mother and I will make the dumplings!

I always like to have everything done so I can devote thanksgiving to the turkey! Yum.

Then Friday, I have the kids I mentor over to help decorate the house. Busy week! How is everyone's thanksgiving prep going?

I haven't even gone shopping yet, let alone cook anything. Isn't it a little too early to do that?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

You've mentioned the kids you mentor before. That sounds like an awesome thing to do!!! Is it through a charitable organization or something? What does mentoring entail exactly? It's something my DH and I might be interested in doing, and I'd love some first hand experiences.

As for me, I'm in the cleaning and making lists portion of the Thanksgiving show. I won't start really cooking until Weds. I may do my orange cranberry sauce on Tuesday because that keeps well.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariDisney View Post
You've mentioned the kids you mentor before. That sounds like an awesome thing to do!!! Is it through a charitable organization or something? What does mentoring entail exactly? It's something my DH and I might be interested in doing, and I'd love some first hand experiences.

As for me, I'm in the cleaning and making lists portion of the Thanksgiving show. I won't start really cooking until Weds. I may do my orange cranberry sauce on Tuesday because that keeps well.
It's through my mother's church. My mother brings them over and we do crafts with them, play games, and take them places they want to go. They're great kids!
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

My Mom cooks pumpkin pies Wed night and other than that there is no cooking started until the big day in my house. I will have the aroma of shake and bake pork chops cooking in just awhile when I recover from subbing in a wild 7th grade English class!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I haven't even gone shopping yet, let alone cook anything. Isn't it a little too early to do that?
If you're thawing a frozen turkey, you should get it asap as it takes several days. If you're getting a fresh one, I'm jealous. :-)

I wish my house smelled like Thanksgiving, but mostly it smells like Lysol. It's the cleaning frenzy before the cooking, and we're not even having any guests (I guess it's just habit).
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

Just taking a break from cleaning the refrigerator and stove. No cooking yet, but like a PP I lit a spice fragranced candle last night and it smelled great!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Beastlover
When leaving a room, make it dramatic...use Jazz hands!

I can't wait for Thursday!! I love all the food...and the family/friends!!

I will be bathing dogs tomorrow (Tues) and cleaning the house. Shopping on Wednesday...cooking the bird on Thurs...so yummy!!

Rick, Me, and our grandson, Branden

Beastlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
denisem
DIS Veteran

Not yet, Wednesday is the big day: make ahead gravy, prepping vegs/breads for dressing and roasted mixed vegetables, pumpkin pie, 7 layer salad, brining the turkey.

Thursday is dressing & mashed potatoes in slow cookers, rotissiere the bird, leaving the oven for roasted veggies and rolls. Cranberry relish from a can.

I can't wait!
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.
I think cranberry sauce lasts forever so that would not bother me but it does seem a bit early for the sweet potatoes.

I won't be doing my stuff until Wednesday (pumpkin cheesecake and cranberry sauce). Everything else gets done on Thursday.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Yum! That's making me hungry! A little sad, no cooking smells here. We are traveling so no getting ready other than packing tomorrow night.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: