Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #751
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Wow! I didn't think I would have to worry about my awesome threadkilling abilities on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVal View Post
Hey, it's the holidays....
Yeah Lisa, I didn't see anything in your posts that would kill a thread

People are busy.

I imagine it will pick up closer to cruise time.

Are you on the facebook page?

I'm almost always up for cruise discussion
When I'm not catching up on work

I work from home so very easy to get distracted
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #752
shoes99
DIS Veteran

DH was not going to tell me that he does not want to go until before PIF date, but I got the sense that he does not want to go on the Med Cruise.
I think I'm going to look at Alaska with Princess with a land tour. I am so disappointed, but going on a 2 week trip with a grouchy husband will not work for me. We have been married 35 years so I know his moods better than he does.
Michele

shoes99 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #753
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes99 View Post
DH was not going to tell me that he does not want to go until before PIF date, but I got the sense that he does not want to go on the Med Cruise.
I think I'm going to look at Alaska with Princess with a land tour. I am so disappointed, but going on a 2 week trip with a grouchy husband will not work for me. We have been married 35 years so I know his moods better than he does.
Michele
Bummer...not even reading the descriptions of DCL excursions will change his mind?

I agree I wouldn't want to drag my DH on a long trip to some place he didn't want to go.
Can you go with someone else?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #754
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

So we've been looking through the DCL excursions and here's what we've come up with, keeping in mind that for these ports, we'll make two stops since we're B2Bing.

Villefranche: 1st stop - Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Eze. and do Villefranche area on our own on this sailing

La Spezia: Florence and Michaelangelo for this sailing. Cinque Terre on our own the previous sailing. If we don't do Florence/Michaelangelo, then we'd do Discovering Florence.

Civitavecchia: Nothing through DCL struck us for going into Rome, so we're going to look for a private tour and/or hook up with someone on the first cruise who is booking something privately. The thing for us is that we did the Jumping Back into Rome excursion in 2007 and it was fabulous, but we saw all the highlights then. The rest of the excursions go back to the very same places or spend more time in the Vatican than we are interested in. So we are going to look into doing something on our own. For this sailing, we will choose either the Pope, Etruscans, and Piazza Del Duomo - amazing Orviero, or Italian Countryside and Olive Oil - leaning more towards the second one because of the cost - however, depending on what we decide to do for this sailing, we might be able to work out a good arrangement with the same private tour provider to do a regional tour on our second time around.

Naples - Pompeii Half Day

Venice and Dubrovnik - TBD

Malta - Island Panoramic on the first sailing, on our own the second.

It's good for me to get an idea of the excursion costs so we can get that fixed up.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #755
thumpery
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the notice of the shore excursions being up for most of the ports.

When we went on the Alaska cruise, they offered "Disney Signature or Exclusive excursions". Do you think they will offer any for this cruise? Do any of you verteran Med. cruisers remember any special ones?

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
thumpery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #756
jel0511
DIS Veteran

They had some. Most of them were private car rentals. There was a cool o e where you got to drive an exotic car in Monaco. I don't see that one this time. Another one was a private cooking lesson in Tuscany. I saw that one. They are pretty exclusive opportunities not like the Alaska ones at all.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #757
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
So we've been looking through the DCL excursions and here's what we've come up with, keeping in mind that for these ports, we'll make two stops since we're B2Bing.

Villefranche: 1st stop - Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Eze. and do Villefranche area on our own on this sailing

La Spezia: Florence and Michaelangelo for this sailing. Cinque Terre on our own the previous sailing. If we don't do Florence/Michaelangelo, then we'd do Discovering Florence.

Civitavecchia: Nothing through DCL struck us for going into Rome, so we're going to look for a private tour and/or hook up with someone on the first cruise who is booking something privately. The thing for us is that we did the Jumping Back into Rome excursion in 2007 and it was fabulous, but we saw all the highlights then. The rest of the excursions go back to the very same places or spend more time in the Vatican than we are interested in. So we are going to look into doing something on our own. For this sailing, we will choose either the Pope, Etruscans, and Piazza Del Duomo - amazing Orviero, or Italian Countryside and Olive Oil - leaning more towards the second one because of the cost - however, depending on what we decide to do for this sailing, we might be able to work out a good arrangement with the same private tour provider to do a regional tour on our second time around.

Naples - Pompeii Half Day

Venice and Dubrovnik - TBD

Malta - Island Panoramic on the first sailing, on our own the second.

It's good for me to get an idea of the excursion costs so we can get that fixed up.
I'm having fun reading the descriptions of the DCL excursions and looking through the pictures

I am thinking of morning mass at St John's co-cathedral with Denise (or anyone else that wants to join us-only way we'll get to see it as it is closed on Sunday) and then on to Mdina for Malta.
I have really long days planned for Rome, Naples and Florence that I am reluctant to plan alot for the rest of the ports.
I do intend to spend alot of time on shore in Venice
That is what frustrated me about St Petersburg on our Baltic cruise-having so much time there but limited by the visa requirements
With no visa restrictions in Venice I'll be exploring the city from top to bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpery View Post
Thanks so much for the notice of the shore excursions being up for most of the ports.

When we went on the Alaska cruise, they offered "Disney Signature or Exclusive excursions". Do you think they will offer any for this cruise? Do any of you verteran Med. cruisers remember any special ones?

hey Marcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
They had some. Most of them were private car rentals. There was a cool o e where you got to drive an exotic car in Monaco. I don't see that one this time. Another one was a private cooking lesson in Tuscany. I saw that one. They are pretty exclusive opportunities not like the Alaska ones at all.
They had some amazing ones in the Baltic-private dances at the palace in St Petersburg, helicopter ride to see the Dream In Germany, ...but way out of our price range..
I'll live vicariously through you all that can get these
Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #758
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Well, went ahead and bought tickets for the Hypogeum in Malta
They only allow 10 people per hour and 80 people total per day.
Sounded cool

Thinking of maybe going with a private tour with this company
http://www.touringmalta.com/index.htm

Or maybe just winging it by getting a taxi...not sure.
Needed to get the Hypogeum tickets anyway as the tour company doesn't include entrance fees.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #759
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Well, went ahead and bought tickets for the Hypogeum in Malta
They only allow 10 people per hour and 80 people total per day.
Sounded cool

Thinking of maybe going with a private tour with this company
http://www.touringmalta.com/index.htm

Or maybe just winging it by getting a taxi...not sure.
Needed to get the Hypogeum tickets anyway as the tour company doesn't include entrance fees.
What is the Hypogeum?

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #760
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpery View Post

I found this on the DCL website:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...res-by-disney/

DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #761
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
What is the Hypogeum?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._of_Malta.html

I read about it in someone's trip report and my DH actually started showing interest when I showed this to him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogeu...%A6al-Saflieni
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #762
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
Those look very cool

There's a trip report out there from someone who went on the DCL ABD.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #763
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Kayak had the exact flight I was tracking drop by $135, and only that flight. Everything else is at the same fare it's been at for months. Whatever. I booked it. We're going.

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science is hosting the exhibit "A Day in Pompeii" for the next few months. We toured it this week. Wow. I can't wait to see this place for real. The fragments of frescoes are still vibrantly colorful, and the items on display are in perfect condition. So hard to wrap my head around the fact that they are two thousand years old.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

Last edited by DenverVal; 11-25-2012 at 02:21 AM.
DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #764
nicis
Cdn Disney Traveller

5 Canadians inbound for Venice

Hi all! We just switched our trip to this June sailing. Have done two European previously (DH, DD (7), DS (15) and Papa). Love Barcelone and have stayed on after each Magic cruise.

Hope to be part of groups Will scroll the pages as we are late to the game here although it is June it comes so fast!

Oh and we have done this itinerary in 2010 (w/o Venice and Dub but with Tunisia). I did all travel by myself (trains, tours, etc) so pls post questions if you have them (we did Pisa (not Florence; way too far IMHO), Pompeii, Rome (not Vatican), St. Pauls/Catacombs in Malta).
nicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #765
nicis
Cdn Disney Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gydell View Post
Be careful in Rome. Lots of pickpockets there too. When we go to Europe we carry Pacsafe bags while touring. I have a cross bag and my husband has a fanny pack.
I love the PacSafe it saved me in Rome last time we were there, two people in the square were pocketed and i was tugged but they were foiled
nicis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: