Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #31
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
I will add this goes for pedestrians!!! If you are waiting to cross and you get a left green turn Arrow -- don't start crossing!!! You still have a Don't Walk signal & just makes us turning left lose our arrow (which at rush hour pretty much means 1 or 2 cars possibly get through the light instead of the 3 or 4 that could!).
This REALLY infuriates me!!! I hate ignorant pedestrians. When im turning left and I see a pedestrian crossing, I honk like a mad woman. They move pretty fast.

As someone else mentioned, if youre in the passing lane, then for the love of pete PASS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont drive the same speed as the cars beside you.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

I will add that if you are a pedestrian, don't be wishy-washy about it. Don't hang out on the corner trying to decide which car you want to run you over. Don't wave me on when I've already stopped for you. Just cross the street already!
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5056 View Post
Just simply follow this rule:
Except that doesn't work as well on a 2 lane road I follow the advice in the motorcycle handbook which suggests slowing down if you are being tailgated. The closer you get, the slower I'll go.

If you have a yield sign, yield. It doesn't matter that the light is green and oncoming traffic is turning Left while you are turning right. If you have a yield sign, youdo not have the right of way.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #34
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

I would like to add...

When grocery shopping, do not park your cart on one side of the aisle & then look for an item on the opposite side.

This happened at Walmart repeatedly yesterday. I couldn't get my cart through many aisles because people were blocking both sides.

Disney College of Knowledge Graduate - June 2013
Skip2MyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #35
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
This REALLY infuriates me!!! I hate ignorant pedestrians. When im turning left and I see a pedestrian crossing, I honk like a mad woman. They move pretty fast.
In most states in the US, pedestrians always have the right of way, even if they are crossing against a light.

Just something to keep in mind in case you drive out of Canada often.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #36
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Except that doesn't work as well on a 2 lane road ...
I know, I just have a clownish day today, I poke fun at everything I see...
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

I will add:

1) I realize some need to drop people off at the door of the store, but please, for the love of all that is holy, find a place to stop that doesn't block traffic! Unloading the wife, grandma, 3 kids, 2 strollers and the like while stopping the lines of cars trying to get through the completely congested parking lot will certainly help the blood pressure of human kind (or at least mine!)

2) Watch your kids in the parking lot! I'm really focused on getting my car through, having to avoid running kids is just dangerous!

3) If you are going to leave your cart/buggy in the parking lot, secure it! Rolling carts blocking parking spots or worse yet, SCRATCHING MY CAR, makes me lose my holiday spirit!

Yes, I have parking lot issues.....
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
In most states in the US, pedestrians always have the right of way, even if they are crossing against a light.

Just something to keep in mind in case you drive out of Canada often.
It's the same way here. Annoying as that might be - even if you have the left turn arrow and they have a don't walk sign, you cannot, in fact, run them over (they still have the right of way).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #39
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
It's the same way here. Annoying as that might be - even if you have the left turn arrow and they have a don't walk sign, you cannot, in fact, run them over (they still have the right of way).
Ok. I wasn't sure if it was different in Canada. Thanks for the correction.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #40
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENSOCK View Post
And please do not be rude. Do not stop in the middle of the aisle with your 4 kids blocking the way so you can ask the other lady how "momma and dem doing"! After shopping in Walmart yesterday, I am not looking forward to Black Friday shopping.
Ah, you're doomed on this one in Louisiana, you know, especially if you are in a small town where WalMart is the only game in town. If you DON'T stop to talk to the person you run into in the store, you're going to get the "Well, DON'T speak!" treatment, and that is as much as your life is worth when "yamomanem" hear about it, which they will, tout de suite.

Really, the best that you can hope for is that they will finally take the conversation out of the aisle if enough people loudly ask "excuse me, may I get by, please?"
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #41
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Ok. I wasn't sure if it was different in Canada. Thanks for the correction.
I think I should correct my correction!

I don't think that the pedesterian actually has official "right of way" (not totally sure on this though). However, if there were an accident, the onus is on the driver to prove that he or she did everything possible to avoid said collession. Going through with the turn (even if they have the green error and the pedisterian has a do not walk sign) would fail in that.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
When you approach a red light at an intersection, see that very wide white line, several feet away from the intersecting road?
You are supposed to come to a stop BEFORE that line. Not cross over it and then stop.
I'll add to this one a little more. I commute from city to city by train. I walk to work after I get off the train. You are blocking the crosswalk therefore blocking my walking lane when you cross the line. You have now made it unsafe for me to cross the road. And yes, when I have the walk signal, I have the right away. Just because the light is green for you, doesn't mean you should try and make your turn before I enter the crosswalk. I will be out of your way as quickly as I can.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
I will add that if you are a pedestrian, don't be wishy-washy about it. Don't hang out on the corner trying to decide which car you want to run you over. Don't wave me on when I've already stopped for you. Just cross the street already!
Since I play pedestrian almost everyday to/from work, sometimes we have to be wishy-washy. Yes you were kind to stop, but just because you stopped don't mean the cars on the other side of the road are going to. I've seen people almost get hit because other cars will whip around the car that stopped to let people cross.

We have crosswalks that pedestrians can turn signal lights on when crossing the road to make people aware they are about to cross, and people don't stop.

Yes, I agree with others that pedestrians walking on a left green arrow can wait a couple a couple more seconds to get the walk signal. Please remember it goes both ways; once I get the signal, I only have so much time to cross the road myself. 2 or 3 cars trying to beat the yellow arrow not only cuts off the traffic that now have the green light, but you have shortened the amount of time I have to cross the road. I can't walk as fast as you can drive. You will get to your destination long before I do.

Last edited by Thumper_Man; 11-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Thumper_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

I agree with most of what everyone else is complaining about. Another pet peeve............On a 2 lane road with double yellow lines, being behind someone who goes slow and when the short 50 foot passing lane comes up, they speed up!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #45
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust for Me! View Post
2. So one or two over the 20 item limit is one thing....15 or 20 over the limit is another!
Here's where I disagree... 20 item limit means 20 item limit. If 21 is ok, then why isn't 22, and so on. Item limit is item limit (and yes, I voluntarily will wait in a longer line if I'm one item over.)
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: