Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #391
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
Dropped DD off yesterday. We got her room set up. She is in a suite with 3 bedrooms..2 girls to a room. they have a bathroom and a sitting room.
Hope she enjoys it!
My older DD had that set up 2 years ago as a sophmore. It worked out very nicely.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #392
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We are headed down to see DS today as soon as other DS gets out of soccer practice. The little ones are curious about where he lives and keep asking questions and he forgot a couple things he needs (razor charger, his good basketball shoes) so we thought we'd make a day trip. I've packed 2 moving boxes of food so he should be set for awhile ;-)
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #393
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Bumping this up to see how everyone's kids are suviving their first semester! Are you seeing them for Thanksgiving? When do they come home for semester break?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #394
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Bumping this up to see how everyone's kids are suviving their first semester! Are you seeing them for Thanksgiving? When do they come home for semester break?
I was thinking about this thread last night and bumping it up. I guess great minds think alike.

DD is coming on Tuesday for Thanksgiving break. She didn't officially quite the job the had in high school and let them know what days she would be home. They ended up scheduling her a shift every day which is great. She is spending a lot of $ on 'stuff' and needs to replenish her account.

She's getting along better with all her room mates now. One was a little 'standoffish' at first but I think has finally some around.

Her last final is 12/17 but she may not have to take it depending on her grade. We are headed down to WDW the 15th and either we'll pick her up on the way or she'll meet us down there. She's been home twice since school started- once for an volunteer thing we do every year and once for fall break.

She's already scheduled classes for next semester. She's nmore excited about those classes than her first semester, especially Sociology of Crime.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #395
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD is having a great time. She is not doing quite as well as we expected based on her HS experience, but her grades are decent. She has already changed her major to Biology, which I fully support and am much more excited about than her original choice of anthro/archaeology.

She loves it there and is trying to move into her sorority house next semester. She has done a good job juggling her job, school, and has joined some groups.

We have only had a few minor disagreements, mainly about her expectations and taking charge of her affairs. For instance, I am not signing off on breaking her housing contract until she has finalized plans with the sorority and gets confirmation that she has a definite spot. That only seems like common sense but she didn't quite see it that way.

We have seen her a few times this semester when she comes home to visit friends. It's been nice that she doesn't have a car because I get some time to chat w/her if I pick her up/drop off. I still really miss her but am glad she seems to have made the transition fairly smoothly.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #396
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So far, DD has had a great semester. Her biggest complaint has been math class and the dorm's internet service.

All this week's classes have been cancelled except that 8 o'clock math class on Wednesday so I hope to see her sooner than later on Wednesday but it will depend when friends leave, I'm sure.
I cannot wait to have her home for a few days! Also, a niece and nephew will be home from college also and I am thrilled to have them all together on Thursday.

DD's an student AT for the football team and she was chosen to travel to all away games also. She's a good worker and many of the team like her to tape them--once they have a good game they become superstitious and want her to tape again and again. For the first time since 1930 her school's team tied for #1 in their conference. Lots of time and hard work for all. It was an exciting time and basketball started last week. She won't be working b-ball because she got all her hours in during football and needs a break--it has been non-stop since August.

Classes have gone well so far. The math is a thorn in her side but I'm sure she'll work through it all. Her comp class has been the surprise for me. She's done amazingly well in there and as a homeschool mom, I worried about that one more than anything. It is definitely a gift, not something she was taught, lol. But truly, I worried about it more than anything else during the process.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #397
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

My son is having a blast in Boston. Not a single complaint has come home which I am so happy to not hear! (of course the new girlfriend has plenty to do with that I am sure)I was afraid he would blow us off for Thanksgiving and go to her house- which is nearby his school- but no he wants to come home!
So Granddad is driving up there on wed. and will drive him home. *thank you Dad for doing this for me! It will be good for them to have some chatting time.

I pointed out that one brother in particular is very excited to see him and please to make sure to do something with him during the weekend.

If the weather is nice he wants to do a family hike.

I am cleaning up around here so he doesn't think we've all been slacking off while he is gone.

Oh and according to him classes are all going great. We'll see......
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #398
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Glad to hear everyone else's kid is have a good semester. Ours has been rocky to say the least.

Started off with a binge drinking experience that could have killed him if it hadn't been for another student seeking medical help. He's a type 1 diabetic and alcohol especially in large qualities can be dangerous. He has learned a lesson with hard alcohol and binge drinking.

He is doing great academically but is really struggling to find a balance with his social life. He was at the top of the barrel at HS and I think is trying to find a comfortable place in college. It has in turn caused him so much stress he is seeking out guidance from a school counselor today. I hope a little more guidance will help him find stability so he can really enjoy his college years without over thinking it.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #399
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #400
Buckalew11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!
I am so sorry to hear about your husband. If you shared it here, I do not remember (or responding) so I just want you to know how sorry I am and you and your family will be in my thoughts as I am sure the holidays will be tough.

So happy to hear your son is doing so well. That must have been quite a blow even though his dad was sick. Many changes all at once. A friend of DD's father died about a week after she started sophomore year--suddenly, from a heart attack. Her parents were divorced and she lived with dad and had little contact with mom.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #401
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

Eliza61 ~ I am so sorry about your husband.

Buckalew11 ~ I did AT too, and had "my" guys that I always taped. Hope she enjoys it, I did not finish and regret that.

My son is doing real good, top grades in all classes. He has been home a couple of times, and really impressed me with doing homework as soon as he got in. Never did that in HS. He has been recommended to be an RA next year, which is a huge thing at his school. If he gets it, he gets free room and meal plan too.

He also has been nominated for an internship in Germany, the summer after his Jr year.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #402
Buckalew11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet too View Post
Eliza61 ~ I am so sorry about your husband.

Buckalew11 ~ I did AT too, and had "my" guys that I always taped. Hope she enjoys it, I did not finish and regret that.

My son is doing real good, top grades in all classes. He has been home a couple of times, and really impressed me with doing homework as soon as he got in. Never did that in HS. He has been recommended to be an RA next year, which is a huge thing at his school. If he gets it, he gets free room and meal plan too.

He also has been nominated for an internship in Germany, the summer after his Jr year.
Do you mean you did not finish as in, did not finish doing it throughout your 4 years? Or you did not go on to be an AT? If not, what did you choose?

DD has done this throughout HS and has enjoyed it. It is a lot more work in college (all practices etc.) but she does enjoy it. She wants to be a PA (at this point) specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine. She always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon but 2 of DH's best friends are and they say medicine is so up in the air that they feel this is the way to go these days. My BIL is a AT in SC and he steers her clear of being an AT also. Says it is very hard on a DH/dad let alone what kind of life it'd be for a DW/mom. She says "no kids" but we'll see... time will tell all that. Happiness--that's what my main goal for her is!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #403
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Do you mean you did not finish as in, did not finish doing it throughout your 4 years? Or you did not go on to be an AT? If not, what did you choose?

DD has done this throughout HS and has enjoyed it. It is a lot more work in college (all practices etc.) but she does enjoy it. She wants to be a PA (at this point) specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine. She always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon but 2 of DH's best friends are and they say medicine is so up in the air that they feel this is the way to go these days. My BIL is a AT in SC and he steers her clear of being an AT also. Says it is very hard on a DH/dad let alone what kind of life it'd be for a DW/mom. She says "no kids" but we'll see... time will tell all that. Happiness--that's what my main goal for her is!
At the end of my second year, the college dropped it as a major. They also limited the number of trainers there could be, and since I was not in the right sorority and hung out with the wrong fraternity, I was theO "black sheep" ofthe staff. The head trainer told me she would rather be short a trainer than have me. I had no time to transfer into another program, so I got married instead.

It is a tough, time consuming job. There is more flexibility at larger high schools or colleges though.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #404
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
Glad to hear everyone else's kid is have a good semester. Ours has been rocky to say the least.

Started off with a binge drinking experience that could have killed him if it hadn't been for another student seeking medical help. He's a type 1 diabetic and alcohol especially in large qualities can be dangerous. He has learned a lesson with hard alcohol and binge drinking.

He is doing great academically but is really struggling to find a balance with his social life. He was at the top of the barrel at HS and I think is trying to find a comfortable place in college. It has in turn caused him so much stress he is seeking out guidance from a school counselor today. I hope a little more guidance will help him find stability so he can really enjoy his college years without over thinking it.
So sorry your ds had to go through that. Sometimes it seems they just have to learn this stuff the hard way!! Glad he made it through. Huge worry for most of us. My dd had her first drinking experience at camp over the summer. Said she figured better to happen at camp vs college since they all know her at camp (works there now, after being a camper since she was 10) and would have her back, so to speak. It showed her that she really didn't need to get drunk to have a good time...so looks like a glass of wine or such for her down the road.

As far as academically? I guess she's doing okay. She says she is..so I guess we wait until final grades are out. She is all registered for her second semester classes. I am finding that she is taking a lot more responsibility for things than I thought she would. She has gotten sick a few times...really bad strep in early Oct, then hand/foot/mouth disease a few weeks ago. We're only about 90 mins away, so she came home to go to her doctor and sleep in her own bed for a few nights.....that's a nice plus when you're sicker than a dog!!

She has been in several theatrical productions so far, and enjoying that. Theatre is her major and she will be choosing a second major next fall...to help augment that so very usable theatre degree!!!

But, she has made good friends, and has a boyfriend. Things are going along nicely. The only 'glitch' so far??? She never signed up for her work study. She was planning on going to DL with her best friend in late May...but the friend found she wasn't going to be able to go. Soooo....dd figured she had plenty of money in her checking account without doing work study!!! Well, we told her that if she wasn't doing work study for second semester, she had to get a job as soon as she got home in May, before she went to camp to work in July!!! Don't think she was too happy to hear that...so is signing up for next semester when she gets back from thanksgiving break!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #405
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

DD is at Hofstra. It was a rough start. Homesick, etc. She is doing better. She is with a group of students who are all in the arts. Most of them are Dance. She is a music ed major. Took some getting used to but she is now part of the group. Well with Super Storm Sandy, they had no power for days and she had to spend time with the dorm mates and they really got to know each other. It worked out well. She was talking about changing her major to Music Therapy and changing schools but she will remain with Music Ed w/minor in Pysch. Then go onto Graduate School for Music Therapy & Elementary Ed. DD comes home Wednesday Night for Thanksgiving then doesn't get out for the semester until 12/20 I think it is but she doesn't go back till January 28th. She will need to find a job to earn some extra money for the semester. They manage to hit the mall or Target weekly as the Hofstra Blue Beetle heads that way.
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: