Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #256
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
My guess is that there are 18,500 unemployed Americans who would be glad to take those jobs and would gladly do so without joining a union.
A friend was tabulating the large companies that had called for layoffs just this month and he was up to over 85,000. How terrible for someone to lose their job, especially during the holidays. Sad.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #257
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasywtch View Post
Alrighty, CA state employee here

In 20 years, I have never seen anyone retire that early. I think it's a falacy that some have heard because a few have done it. Got to remember, there are 300K employees so it's bound to happen but it's not common for someone to retire that early. We have 70 year olds still working in my office.

No longer does the employer put in a lot of our retirement, our share is going up again in January. To add another wrinkle, 30% of state employees are self supporting agencies and are not paid out of tax dollars. We make the money to pay our salaries and that same money we collect pays the employer's share of retirement. We also don't get "free" healthcare when we retire. We still pay for it (granted at a lower rate then most).
DMV, Consumer Affairs, Equalization, Franchise, CHP are a few of the self supporting agencies.

Unfortunately as with most, the horror stories come from the most sensationalized workers, the managers who make 100K, the Correctional Officers, CHP officers who retire at 50 with 80% salary. Most of the 300K employees are peons such as myself who are having a hard time making ends meet in these times. I do have my PERS taken out of my check and it's going up again. I make less than what I made in 1997. Everything has tripled since then. (yes, I'm happy I still have a job, just don't want people to believe it's all roses working for the government because it's definitely not for most).

It's such a mixed up situation. I make money for the state but yet I'm furloughed with those paid by tax dollars so instead of me bringing money into the state, I have to take a day off (saving zero since tax dollars don't pay my salary). The gov borrows our money and then has to pay our department back with interest LOL Such a mixed up world. Funny, all the self supporting agencies have surplus dollars??????
I think you mean your job is not funded out of the General Fund, every state worker is paid with taxpayer money, even those where the money comes from fees.
I also understand that it can vary from Department to Department and union contract to union contract, but you have to remember my perspective, as someone who works in an industry that loses most of our people to state jobs. I also understand that what you pay into retirement has gone up, but unlike other retirement plans, if CalPers does a poor job of investing, retiree benefits don't go up, they got to the state for money to close the shortfall.
I don't count CHP and Fire folks because there's is a who other situation, but I have 5 people on my block who are retired at the 30 year mark with full benefits, age range 50 to 55, 3 from DMV,and 2 from General Services.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #258
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
My guess is that there are 18,500 unemployed Americans who would be glad to take those jobs and would gladly do so without joining a union.
I would agree with that.

I think the bakers union will go down in history next to these guys:

Unions lost their necessity when O2 sensors replaced canaries in the coal mines.

We aren't living the dark ages anymore.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.

Last edited by MolonLabe; 11-18-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: fix pic
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #259
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

But we are living in a country where it is legal to work 16 hour shifts with no meal breaks in my state. So until that changes, I'd say Unions will still have a place. Would you want the nurse caring for your family member to be on their feet for 16 hours with no break?
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #260
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
But we are living in a country where it is legal to work 16 hour shifts with no meal breaks in my state. So until that changes, I'd say Unions will still have a place. Would you want the nurse caring for your family member to be on their feet for 16 hours with no break?
So much for the union huh?

I'm a health care professional. Here is a better question for you, would you rather the nurse or the surgeon be on their feet for 16 hours with no break?

It's rhetorical because you would NEVER find a situation (as I type this, in any of the 50 states, outside of a mass casualty incident) where a RN would work for 16 hours strait and no break but you do find situations where Physicians do, in fact, work 16 hours without a break.

BTW, the reason there is not a law prohibiting that is because it would really suck for someone dying, to die, just so a nurse could get a smoke break during a mass casualty situation.

You see, if there was such a law, the RN would HAVE to take the break, whether they wanted to or not.

Again, you won't find that happening (outside of a mass casualty incident and probably not even then) anyway. Sorry but your scare tactics are all smoke and mirrors.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #261
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
He's a physician. So he probably doesn't care that nurses work just as hard as he does, if not harder.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #262
dakcp2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
So much for the union huh?

I'm a health care professional. Here is a better question for you, would you rather the nurse or the surgeon be on their feet for 16 hours with no break?

It's rhetorical because you would NEVER find a situation (as I type this, in any of the 50 states, outside of a mass casualty incident) where a RN would work for 16 hours strait and no break but you do find situations where Physicians do, in fact, work 16 hours without a break.

BTW, the reason there is not a law prohibiting that is because it would really suck for someone dying, to die, just so a nurse could get a smoke break during a mass casualty situation.

You see, if there was such a law, the RN would HAVE to take the break, whether they wanted to or not.

Again, you won't find that happening (outside of a mass casualty incident and probably not even then) anyway. Sorry but your scare tactics are all smoke and mirrors.
FALSE. I am a nurse and my last job required 16 hour shifts with no break. Here is the USA. And neither the doctor nor the nurse should have to do that.In fact, I was not allowed to use the bathroom unless another nurse was in the building and I was the only one there. So I was breaking the rules to even go pee. And THIS is why the place is seeking out the union. AMongst other things.

You know how many more patients probably die from medication errors when tired health care workers make mistakes? Probably a lot I would venture.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #263
dakcp2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
He's a physician. So he probably doesn't care that nurses work just as hard as he does, if not harder.
Why am I not at all surprised.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #264
foreUT
DIS Veteran

If this has been posted earlier, my apologies, but the union was protesting the pay reductions ordered by the federal bankruptcy Judge.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...560842670.html

Quote:
In the end, a bankruptcy judge gave Hostess permission to force the bakers union to accept a new five-year labor contract that featured an 8% wage cut in the first year, new pension plan restrictions and a 17% increase in health care costs for employees.

The bakers' union went on strike. "Our members decided they were not going to take any more abuse from a company they have given so much to for so many years," said Frank Hurt, the bakers' union president, in a statement Friday evening.

However, the Teamsters on Friday stood by its decision to accept the proposed cuts. As the bakers' union went on strike, the Teamsters largely didn't cross picket lines, said Ken Hall, the Teamsters' treasurer and general secretary. They picked up Hostess products for delivery when there weren't picket lines present, he said.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #265
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I would agree with that.

I think the bakers union will go down in history next to these guys:

Unions lost their necessity when O2 sensors replaced canaries in the coal mines.

We aren't living the dark ages anymore.
I just laughed so hard looking at this poster and the quote underneath. Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #266
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
amazingly all after the election---smells kinda fishy to me if i do say!!!!!! Seems the 'potus' and our 'state run media' have some explaining to do!!!!!!
Nonsense, companies lay people off at the end of the year because it gives their balance sheets a boost by showing that their liabilities are smaller compared to their profits. It's the same reason you see auto dealers hawking cars as Xmas presents, even though I've never know a single person that has ever given/received a car as an Xmas gift... They just want the inventory off their books show they can show a lower liability level at the end of Q4.

Happens every year, recession/depression or not.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...

Last edited by furb & dez; 11-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #267
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
FALSE. I am a nurse and my last job required 16 hour shifts with no break. Here is the USA. And neither the doctor nor the nurse should have to do that.In fact, I was not allowed to use the bathroom unless another nurse was in the building and I was the only one there. So I was breaking the rules to even go pee. And THIS is why the place is seeking out the union. AMongst other things.

You know how many more patients probably die from medication errors when tired health care workers make mistakes? Probably a lot I would venture.
I come from a family of nurses and the ones who work long shifts do it on purpose and only work 2-3 days a week which is why they do it.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #268
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
Nonsense, companies lay people off at the end of the year because it gives their balance sheets a boost by showing that their liabilities are smaller compared to their profits. It's the same reason you see auto dealers hawking cars as Xmas presents, even though I've never know a single person that has ever given/received a car as an Xmas gift... They just want the inventory off their books show they can show a lower liability level at the end of Q4.

Happens every year, recession/depression or not.
I will have to differ w you on reasons for lay-offs. When you have companies like Xerox and Energizer laying off almost 4000 workers among the two of them, and companies like Cummins and Stryker closing long-time plants, the costs of severance and closure (in the case of the plants) are major hits. Growth was terrible last quarter and this quarter will probably be worse.

Last edited by foreUT; 11-19-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #269
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Unions increase their demands, until they finally break the camel's back. It's why, companies are leaving the U.S...and taking their jobs with them.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #270
dakcp2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I come from a family of nurses and the ones who work long shifts do it on purpose and only work 2-3 days a week which is why they do it.
New Grads do not have that luxury. You have to take what you can get until you get enough experience to get a better job with better hours. The job market is not the same in the entire United States and New Grad Nurses are not in a position to be choosy in my area. I did 16 hour shifts for an entire year before I left for greener pastures. A lot of hospitals are not willing to pay for orientation of a new grad since it takes 12 weeks or so. It is costly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: